Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read two recent articles saying GM had another software update for Bolts that would reduce the maximum charge to 80%, but would allow owners to park their cars back inside their garages and let their batteries go below the current 70 mile limit. Supposedly additional battery monitoring code would also be included in the update. The articles also said Bolt owners should call their dealership with their VIN number to get on a list for the battery exchange. So, I called the dealership where I bought our Bolt and they said they still don't have any fully trained technicians to work on Bolts. When I asked when they would, they said they don't expect to be doing any battery replacements even when someone is trained to do it. The reason being they don't have the equipment necessary to handle a battery replacement. Specifically, they don't have a forklift to lift the battery, nor do they have a licensed forklift operator, nor do they have a license for battery disposal. They told me to call around to other dealerships. The next dealership I called is 30 miles away and their service department said they didn't have any information on the battery recalls or new software update. So, I guess no one knows nothing!
i got pretty much the same from my dealer in upstate NY. - which has sold a bunch of Bolts. They were unaware of the software update. Plus, they said they had installed zero new batteries since they had none of the necessary equipment. GM had told them nothing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i got pretty much the same from my dealer in upstate NY. - which has sold a bunch of Bolts. They were unaware of the software update. Plus, they said they had installed zero new batteries since they had none of the necessary equipment. GM had told them nothing.
Sadly this is the way most of the dealers are. I am lucky to have the one dealer with EV adopters who work there and like them so they stay way ahead of the news. They knew about the software, couldn't schedule it yet as it was pre- 11/19/2021 but I expect a call from them as soon as they can schedule my 2021. Also they have had the battery swap ability since they opened to selling Volts and Bolts knowing they would need it. The entire rest of the 15+ dealers in the Province either hate EV's and will hang up on you, or the 3-4 who also sell Bolts are still waiting for Techs to finish training and for the equipment to service the batteries.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Everything in this posts just adds fuel to the fire that car manufacturers need to be able to follow Tesla's business model and turn dealerships into delivery/service centers.
But dealerships have deep pockets and have invested in politicians that support them.
You have no idea how god-awful Tesla service is. And I am only 13 miles from one of the “good ones.”

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier Cajun Red Tintcoat, Grizzl-E EVSE
176 Posts
I really don't mean to sound smug. I've had my 12V battery replaced, but am generally happy with my 2021 Bolt. But I asked the salesman if the shop had EV techs. And when I shopped also at Kia (for their EV), I only went to a dealership listed as "EV Certified" on the Kia national website. I would not have bought an EV without checking on the dealer's capabilities. In the old days (that is, before internet shopping, as well as before Covid), it was de rigeur to offer a tour of the shop when you first met a salesman at a car dealer. And they always introduced me to the Service Manager.

I do have sympathy for those who bought a used Bolt. But it still seems unwise not to think about service when you buy a completely new technology, in the first generation of that company's production.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I really don't mean to sound smug. I've had my 12V battery replaced, but am generally happy with my 2021 Bolt. But I asked the salesman if the shop had EV techs. And when I shopped also at Kia (for their EV), I only went to a dealership listed as "EV Certified" on the Kia national website. I would not have bought an EV without checking on the dealer's capabilities. In the old days (that is, before internet shopping, as well as before Covid), it was de rigeur to offer a tour of the shop when you first met a salesman at a car dealer. And they always introduced me to the Service Manager.

I do have sympathy for those who bought a used Bolt. But it still seems unwise not to think about service when you buy a completely new technology, in the first generation of that company's production.
we did the same. We hoped a closer dealer would soon be ready but knew the one we bought from was 100% gtg EV wise. I can live with the 2.5 hour one way drive for the very limited service I will need if I have too.

·
Registered
891 Posts
The articles also said Bolt owners should call their dealership
Those articles you found sound like they are giving you some "partial info" there...
If your car is in one of the two recalls, you could call your dealership for a battery replacement. But most of us aren't in the recall yet for that. There are two recalls, one for higher risk Bolts, and if your VIN is on that recall, there should be a battery for you...
The rest of us are on the other recall list, and have to wait to be moved to the other list.
You can log into the chevrolet.com site to check to see which recall you are on.
For instance, I am still in recall: N212343880
Which says: "Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE"

At some time, I should be moved to N212343881, which will mean I should be able to schedule a battery replacement.

As for the software update, again, partial info. Yes there is one, but not yet for all Bolts.
Chevrolet has informed owners of 2019 Chevrolet Bolt EVs who have not yet received their replacement battery modules that it will begin installation of a software update
Now, that doesn't mean dealerships aren't problematic. They definitely can be.
But articles on the internet are also something that can be very problematic. ;-)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

I did the same thing when we bought our Bolt. The dealership assured me they had certified technicians to work on Bolts. Then when we got our first firmware recall when I contacted the dealership for an appointment they said their one trained technician moved away and they hadn't trained anyone new yet.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Although GM is asking customers to contact their dealer, that's just for GM's own convenience. If a customer isn't having any luck or is just unwilling to try, GM will have to do all the heavy lifting to find a dealer, set up an appointment, transport the vehicle, etc. (my $0.02)

·
Registered
60 Posts
And here’s the problem - GM has been hosing Bolt owners for months/years and the owners have to arrange for GM’s battery replacement??? GM should be setting up centralized centers in each metro area. For those owners in remote areas, GM should be arranging towing to a centralized center. GM has made their problem the owner’s problem which is grossly unfair and real poor customer service. Our next vehicle purchase will not likely be another GM product - I’ve been fooled once!
I'm disappointed to read so many people having issues with their recalls and dealer support.
We are very lucky here - our local small town GM dealer has trained techs, performed excellent warranty service on our Bolt, provided free towing, free drop offs and pickup (15 miles away!) and loaners. Find a dealer like that - even if it's 60 miles away and give them your business. The ones who are stuck in the past can all fade away or be taken over by more progressive owners.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts