Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 579 Posts

·
Registered
(aka Telek) 2017 LT
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally some good news - it looks like GM will be replacing all battery modules in higher risk Bolts starting in the next week or two.

Read on for full details:

What do you think? Is this enough? What else can GM do to make us whole? Let me know in the comments.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It was already on the GM Recall site and the warranty for the new modules will be reset, once the new ones are installed.

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
133 Posts
I'd much rather get a fully sealed pack replacement over an "all modules in the pack" replacement but I'll be happy with either. A reset warranty is a nice touch. Hopefully us canadians won't have to wait longer than our US friends...

Some "sorry about that" money back would be appreciated but I won't push my luck :)

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,032 Posts
No, that's not what they said.

They're referring to the original 8 year warranty. I have not seen anything from them that indicates that they'd be giving us a new 8 year warranty.
There are a couple of posts from owners who have been told that the warranty will be reset:

There's also a statement on the MyChevrolet website that states "This BOLT Limited Parts Warranty is an extension to the original equipment warranty and begins at the time of installation."

·
Registered
(aka Telek) 2017 LT
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's also a statement on the MyChevrolet website that states "This BOLT Limited Parts Warranty is an extension to the original equipment warranty and begins at the time of installation."
Yeah, you're right. I can't read apparently lol.

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
133 Posts
Here's a Bolt forum variation of a sign in my local hardware store.

"How about we refund all you paid, give you a new Bolt, liquidate GM and have Mary Barra shot. Would that be satisfactory?"

jack vines
I also like "Free beer TOMORROW".
The above seems a little harsh. I'd settle for just the first two.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I 'get' and understand why GM wants to find a process for detecting defective modules for lower urgency MYs. It makes business sense, and arguably will benefit owners if GM is able to reduce the time it takes to repair all recalled cars properly. Yet as a 2018 owner I hope they are not successful, and therefore provide the exact same remedy for all cars subject to this recall.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So it sounds like if they devise a detection method all the 2017 and 2018 batteries will just get new modules if needed? No 66 kWh but possibly a new extended warranty. This is how I read it. The “some” in the article is
disturbingly ambiguous.

·
Registered
(aka Telek) 2017 LT
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I 'get' and understand why GM wants to find a process for detecting defective modules for lower urgency MYs. It makes business sense, and arguably will benefit owners if GM is able to reduce the time it takes to repair all recalled cars properly. Yet as a 2018 owner I hope they are not successful, and therefore provide the exact same remedy for all cars subject to this recall.
Agreed, I'd prefer a whole new pack, but ... not sure that's in the cards.

·
Registered
(aka Telek) 2017 LT
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it sounds like if they devise a detection method all the 2017 and 2018 batteries will just get new modules if needed? No 66 kWh but possibly a new extended warranty. This is how I read it. The “some” in the article is
disturbingly ambiguous.
I believe that is the case, yes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finally some good news - it looks like GM will be replacing all battery modules in higher risk Bolts starting in the next week or two.

Read on for full details:

What do you think? Is this enough? What else can GM do to make us whole? Let me know in the comments.
I want compensation for the loss of range and the orher inconveniences associated with the recall.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Congrats on the exclusive, Sean! Well done!

It's jarring to read that GM wants to open-up returned batteries and look for a cause. This is a clear admission that their "two rare defects" claim was misleading (you can't enumerate defects you haven't found yet). And a clear admission that their "final fix" software patch was a [email protected]**-guess, a "Hail Mary pass". Like "Hey, maybe if we baby all the batteries, it will just stop?! You think? Let's run with that!" Or maybe it was only a diversion to give them more time to negotiate with LG, without pressure from NHTSA and owners. Either way, it's jerking people around (including safety regulators). I smell "Fine Corinthian Leather" here, folks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Our 2019 Bolt was manufactured 8/18. The article is first time I've seen the Oct-Nov of 2018 manufacturing window as the time frame pegged as the most likely to catch fire.

I generally use 60-40% to 75-25% SOC range on our Bolt depending if it's winter or summer. For owners like me I don't fall into the priority group of "Owners who habitually do deep discharges, and where GM has OnStar telemetry data proving such." What if my use case changes? For example, I take a new job that requires closer to a full pack for a daily commute?

·
Registered
(aka Telek) 2017 LT
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Our 2019 Bolt was manufactured 8/18. The article is first time I've seen the Oct-Nov of 2018 manufacturing window as the time frame pegged as the most likely to catch fire.

I generally use 60-40% to 75-25% SOC range on our Bolt depending if it's winter or summer. For owners like me I don't fall into the priority group of "Owners who habitually do deep discharges, and where GM has OnStar telemetry data proving such." What if my use case changes? For example, I take a new job that requires closer to a full pack for a daily commute?

The damage is likely caused by the combination of both problems, so if you change jobs in the future and need deep discharges it'll likely take a little while for it to build up to be a problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts

The damage is likely caused by the combination of both problems, so if you change jobs in the future and need deep discharges it'll likely take a little while for it to build up to be a problem.
So I just wait for a few years and wonder when it's going to catch fire and burn down my garage and house? Got it.

1 - 20 of 579 Posts