Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
501 - 520 of 579 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I drove to an away football game Friday night that took me down to 5% charge when I got home. Charged back to 80%. No fire. We still have to use our cars.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I drove to an away football game Friday night that took me down to 5% charge when I got home. Charged back to 80%. No fire. We still have to use our cars.
I try as much as possible to stay within the suggested guidelines but as you said life happens and you do not always have a charger nearby. I too let it go down occasionally to 15% or so and mine hasn't burnt yet.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt Premium with every option
181 Posts
I hear ya. I had to make a 150 mile round trip last week, and I didn't realize that was cutting it so close. I had 18 miles left. We're trying to make use of the car, but we're just going to have to delegate it to strictly local, short trips.

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
117 Posts
My "abundance of caution" is parking outside and usually keeping it at 80% and recharge as often as possible. Last weekend I needed the range so I charged it to 100% and came back at 30%
Used priority charging back to 40% when I got home and then back to 80% the next morning

·
Registered
70 Posts
...it is clear that GM lost its patience with the South Korean supplier. Instead of waiting for LGES to solve the situation, the American automaker would have decided to teach it how to “clean up the manufacturing process” for its batteries by implementing “GM quality metrics.” That’s what Paul Jacobson told investors in a conference call on September 10. According to Reuters, the GM CFO used these terms to explain why GM is still not replacing the defective battery packs, which made the Bolt EV catch fire multiple times. GM does not expect to do that before November...

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
...it is clear that GM lost its patience with the South Korean supplier. Instead of waiting for LGES to solve the situation, the American automaker would have decided to teach it how to “clean up the manufacturing process” for its batteries by implementing “GM quality metrics.” That’s what Paul Jacobson told investors in a conference call on September 10. According to Reuters, the GM CFO used these terms to explain why GM is still not replacing the defective battery packs, which made the Bolt EV catch fire multiple times. GM does not expect to do that before November...

So does that mean our Bolts were not originally built with "GM quality metrics"? :unsure:

·
Registered
70 Posts
So does that mean our Bolts were not originally built with "GM quality metrics"? :unsure:
Sure appears that way. Seems kind of stupid to buy such a critical part for a vehicle from a supplier that doesn't follow your "quality metrics".

·
Registered
70 Posts
"Battery plants in South Korea and Michigan operated by LG Energy Solution have been identified by GM as the source of defects behind a rash of battery-related fires in the Bolt that have triggered three recalls and $1.8 billion in warranty set-asides by GM since last November"

·
Registered
250 Posts
"Carry on" indeed. You've got more nerve than I do, but if my Bolt weren't in the center of the highest risk bullseye I'd be doing more or less the same thing. My reading of writers who understand how these manufacturing flaws can progress to a fire is that it's basically a statistical crapshoot. The occasional "long"charge from low to high is much less likely to trigger a thermal runaway than if younormally charge that way. And by always limiting the charge to 80% you're tweaking the odds even further in your favor.

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
117 Posts
To me the problem is mechanical, it's the number of times the battery went from high to low to high, causing large swelling and contraction, moving the torn anode closer to the folded separator until they touch. We seem to have a limited number of these mechanical stresses before the short circuit happens (IF your battery has the defect).
One interesting thing to note: none of the ~12000 Korean cars and none of the ~15000 Canadian cars have burned (yet). Perhaps they are just at the limit of the 1/10000 odds.
I've always kept my car in the 40%-80% range except on rare occasions so I still may have a few larger charge-discharge cycles available before the BBQ.
Note: seems another 2019 burned yesterday. It will be interesting to get more details. Anyone else notice Sean Graham has been mysteriously silent recently (long vacation away from the Bolt madness?)

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
...it is clear that GM lost its patience with the South Korean supplier. ... GM is still not replacing the defective battery packs, which made the Bolt EV catch fire multiple times. GM does not expect to do that before November...
I guess that tells us that we're all in for at least a couple of months' wait before we know how this is going to shake out.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I've been getting the runaround on loaners for a while now. I drive a ton and can't live within the safety parameters, unfortunately.
Rumor is GM has finalized a deal with Hertz to get customers in your position into rentals. We are just waiting for GM to announce details. Hopefully soon!

·
Registered
250 Posts
To me the problem is mechanical, it's the number of times the battery went from high to low to high, causing large swelling and contraction, moving the torn anode closer to the folded separator until they touch. We seem to have a limited number of these mechanical stresses before the short circuit happens (IF your battery has the defect).
One interesting thing to note: none of the ~12000 Korean cars and none of the ~15000 Canadian cars have burned (yet). Perhaps they are just at the limit of the 1/10000 odds.
I've always kept my car in the 40%-80% range except on rare occasions so I still may have a few larger charge-discharge cycles available before the BBQ.
Note: seems another 2019 burned yesterday. It will be interesting to get more details. Anyone else notice Sean Graham has been mysteriously silent recently (long vacation away from the Bolt madness?)
I've also noted (with regret) Graham's disappearance. He was doing yeoman work providing deeply fact-based reporting when hardly anyone else was.
I don't know how long they've been doing it, but Hyundai is candidly telling new Kona EV owners that they'd be doing themselves a favor by keeping the number of full charges and deep discharges to a minimum. I'm planning to keep mine between 40% and 80% except in unusual circumstances

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
355 Posts
The more often car companies cant lkeep their mileage estimates the more people will say with their money EVs just aren't ready.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
208 Posts
The more often car companies cant keep their mileage estimates the more people will say with their money EVs just aren't ready.
Already done. Bolt as Exhibit A. Tesla looking to rake in more cash as the only major (does Nissan use LG for its Tennessee Leaf production?) US EV maker not exposed to LG.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Already done. Bolt as Exhibit A. Tesla looking to rake in more cash as the only major (does Nissan use LG for its Tennessee Leaf production?) US EV maker not exposed to LG.
Nissan has used AESC for its cells, which produces cells with electrode stacking rather than folding. Depending on who you ask, there has been either zero or one fire in one million cars produced over 10 years.

IIRC, SKI supplies Ford.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
355 Posts
I thought 2022 would be the year EVs break out but if LG batteries used by many keep failing across brands then it may the year that killed the EV.

501 - 520 of 579 Posts