Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 579 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
937 Posts
Finally some good news - it looks like GM will be replacing all battery modules in higher risk Bolts starting in the next week or two.

Read on for full details:

What do you think? Is this enough? What else can GM do to make us whole? Let me know in the comments.
If the commitment was new modules across the board for all the recalled Bolts, I would be fine with that. However the fact they are saying they might just start only replacing modules they think are defective, that gives me no confidence. They already did this, said they had a software fix to detect the issue (which they obviously didn't) so they already lost any trust from me that they can effectively detect these issues.

The bare minimum they can do to make me happy is all new modules. Anything short of that and I don't think I will have any confidence keeping my Bolt. I'd be pursuing legal actions at that point as well.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,335 Posts
It was already on the GM Recall site and the warranty for the new modules will be reset, once the new ones are installed.
Just started on this thread but,,,

Would you have a pack with mixed modules old/new and mixed warranty dates old/new?

Reactions: ErikLentz

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,335 Posts
... However the fact they are saying they might just start only replacing modules they think are defective, that gives me no confidence. ..
Agreed.
Defective modules at the moment.
What about 3-6 months later when other modules start to become 'defective'?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
What about 3-6 months later when other modules start to become 'defective'?
I suppose it's moot now that they're going to replace all the modules, but the thinking was that they could identify the cells/modules that had the manufacturing defect. Those were the cells that were going to be replaced, but now all that's changed.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier, 2020 Bolt Premier
137 Posts
If in the theoretical possibility that GM discovers a non-destructive way to determine which modules do not have the defect, and later uses refurbished batteries that have only the (possibly) defective modules (rather than all modules) replaced, that could allow the replacement process to be completed more quickly (since there will be less manufacturing backlog of new modules), but the end result will be less desirable (not getting a 66kWh battery with all new modules).
It could also raise the fire risk for 2017-2018 Bolt owners if they are wrong about the accuracy of their testing by placing modules falsely determined as good from a 2019 into an older lower risk vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 (MY-2019) Opel Ampera-e
18 Posts
So it sounds like if they devise a detection method all the 2017 and 2018 batteries will just get new modules if needed? No 66 kWh but possibly a new extended warranty. This is how I read it. The “some” in the article is
disturbingly ambiguous.
Especially the word "some" troubles me. In other words, still nothing clear.
Also there is still no decision from Opel for the Ampera-e.
All Ampera-e's sold here in the Netherlands have the affected "6883" pack.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I 'get' and understand why GM wants to find a process for detecting defective modules for lower urgency MYs. It makes business sense, and arguably will benefit owners if GM is able to reduce the time it takes to repair all recalled cars properly. Yet as a 2018 owner I hope they are not successful, and therefore provide the exact same remedy for all cars subject to this recall.
She may have been misinformed and/or was being cagey, but FWIW when one of the people who are coordinating the pilot replacement program called yesterday (my scheduled service has been postponed because of supply chain issues) she left me with distinct impression that GM is planning to replace every module in every recalled car by the end of the year.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
937 Posts
She may have been misinformed and/or was being cagey, but FWIW when one of the people who are coordinating the pilot replacement program called yesterday (my scheduled service has been postponed because of supply chain issues) she left me with distinct impression that GM is planning to replace every module in every recalled car by the end of the year.
I hope she isn't wrong, that is the outcome I want and one that would help me trust this car again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did anyone hear from GM yet? I have not. I want to know where and how to register for the battery replacement, however, most likely that I will wait for months before mine will get replaced.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a really hard time believing that GM/LG will be able to find a way to detect an issue. It's safer for them to just replace all the modules. I realize this will take them a long time/money, but they already did the write-down and it would put trust back to GM. I have a 2018 model manufactured in March 2018 so I am probably far down the line in terms of replacements, but if I don't get all modules replaced I won't be happy.

·
Premium Member
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
281 Posts
Did anyone hear from GM yet? I have not. I want to know where and how to register for the battery replacement, however, most likely that I will wait for months before mine will get replaced.
According to GM you can start registering on 8-23-2021 for the battery fix

·
Registered
266 Posts
If the commitment was new modules across the board for all the recalled Bolts, I would be fine with that. However the fact they are saying they might just start only replacing modules they think are defective, that gives me no confidence. They already did this, said they had a software fix to detect the issue (which they obviously didn't) so they already lost any trust from me that they can effectively detect these issues.

The bare minimum they can do to make me happy is all new modules. Anything short of that and I don't think I will have any confidence keeping my Bolt. I'd be pursuing legal actions at that point as well.
This is very much in line with scoobybri's post, and seems to me to be exactly right. FWIW, when one of the people who are coordinating the pilot replacement program called yesterday (my scheduled service has been postponed because of supply chain issues) she left me with the understanding that GM is planning to replace all the modules in the entire recall population by the end of the year. What I didn't ask, and she didn't tell me, was whether the newly installed modules will be newly manufactured or refurbs. I suspect that many owners won't ask whether their car's "new" modules are actually new, but that a significant, vocal minority won't be satisfied with anything less.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I want compensation for the loss of range and the orher inconveniences associated with the recall.
How much did it inconvenience you? Did you even notice the loss of range? Other than maybe parking outside did it change your charge habits at all? I am not affected by the recall but if I were to only difference or inconvenience to me would have been 2 trips to a dealer and parking my car outside. I don't charge everyday. I only charge to 100% maybe once every 2-3 months when I am going on a 150 Mile trip. Even then the reduced range would not prevent me from making that trip on a single charge.

So, how were you harmed? Has GM taken or is taking reasonable steps to prevent or resolve that harm?

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is very much in line with scoobybri's post, and seems to me to be exactly right. FWIW, when one of the people who are coordinating the pilot replacement program called yesterday (my scheduled service has been postponed because of supply chain issues) she left me with the understanding that GM is planning to replace all the modules in the entire recall population by the end of the year. What I didn't ask, and she didn't tell me, was whether the newly installed modules will be newly manufactured or refurbs. I suspect that many owners won't ask whether their car's "new" modules are actually new, but that a significant, vocal minority won't be satisfied with anything less.
I just can’t imagine they could use refurbished cells from 2019s to put in other cars. The first fix already didn’t work. If “module replacement” doesn’t work, they are looking at mandated buyback of 10s of thousands of vehicles, a la VW TDI. If they have already written down 800 million, you don’t want to have to put another billion plus on top of that.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I could see it both ways. The safest plan is to replace them with all new known good batteries. Can that be accomplished in the next 3 months with the supply chain issues already in play. Do they have a sitting supply of known good used batteries? I know everybody wants a "New" battery but if GM re-starts the warranty on the replacement then is there really a problem? In any other case when a component is replaced under warranty it does not re-start the warranty on that part separate from the rest of the car.

·
Registered
10,187 Posts
Maybe you can get some nice "made in Michigan" cells from this pack? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I could see it both ways. The safest plan is to replace them with all new known good batteries. Can that be accomplished in the next 3 months with the supply chain issues already in play. Do they have a sitting supply of known good used batteries? I know everybody wants a "New" battery but if GM re-starts the warranty on the replacement then is there really a problem? In any other case when a component is replaced under warranty it does not re-start the warranty on that part separate from the rest of the car.
Yes, in my opinion there is a problem. Many people could receive refurbished modules that have a capacity deficiency of 5-8% or even a bit more. In many cases this would be more than the deficiency of their original modules. And it will be well within GM’s re-started warranty policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Wonder what they consider habitually deep discharge. Because of my long commute, I'm 15-25 percent battery every day, charged 88-100 percent.
Latest advisory is to avoid going below 70 miles of remaining range. Based on EPA range of 238 miles, that is 29% state of charge.

Combined with the advisory to limit charging to 88-90%, it means being able to use only 59-61% of the capacity.

·
Registered
266 Posts
In my conversation yesterday with the pilot program coordinator I asked whether the decision to replace the car's modules, which is more complicated and time-consuming, instead of swapping out the entire battery pack, was driven by concerns about known or possible supply chain bottlenecks (more of them if you have to assemble all the components in a full pack.) She said yes.

41 - 60 of 579 Posts