Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About three weeks ago the battery was replaced in my 2019 Bolt at the dealership where we purchased it new. The experience was without a hitch and the Bolt was performing well as the initial weirdness of the GOM disappears as the computer relearned our driving technique. Saturday we were charging on our home 32A level 2 charger when we had a power outage. A continuous beep started emanating from the Bolt until we unplugged. Charging was nearly done when I checked but the “Service high voltage charging system” message appeared. It can be dismissed with a check mark ✔ but returns with each start and the orange “Service car soon” stays on continuously. I checked coolant levels and the front passenger side battery coolant tank level was very low (about 1/2” from empty). I filled it to the full line with proper GM 50/50 coolant. I plugged in my ODB2 reader and it does show a fault but will not display a code number. Erasing does not make the code disappear. I can get the car checked by an EV tech for a week, so I’m hoping the computer will reset after 50-100 miles as in ICE’s if the coolant level was the problem. Any advice/comments?

·
Administrator
3,149 Posts
Several reports have appeared of folks who had issues with the coolant loop for the HV battery. Spec procedure is to use a vacuum flush and fill process to avoid air getting in the lines. Maybe your tech cut corners? I recall these other cases reported the same error.

·
Registered
809 Posts
You can't erase that code and it won't go away on it's own. It's intentionally that way. If the level of coolant drops it could mean it's leaking into the battery case, which would be very bad.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I think I would take it to the dealer in this case. As Dark-Fx said, some of the codes are "dealer reset" only because they require a dealer checkup. For example, loss of HV power (if you just unlatch the fuse under the rear seat with the 12V still connected) will throw a code that basically indicates the car could have been in an accident. I suspect coolant issues are similar. No way to clear these "high priority" codes with a code reader.

Mike

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Happened to me too but I had a relay replaced in the battery pack. The fault pushed me Bolt to 881 status but I am still driving it and pushing back my appt to the dealership as I am almost to the front of the line for buyback/trade. I worry that if I bring it in, they will make up some excuse to replace my battery and close my buyback/trade.

·
Registered
217 Posts
About three weeks ago the battery was replaced in my 2019 Bolt at the dealership where we purchased it new. The experience was without a hitch and the Bolt was performing well as the initial weirdness of the GOM disappears as the computer relearned our driving technique. Saturday we were charging on our home 32A level 2 charger when we had a power outage. A continuous beep started emanating from the Bolt until we unplugged. Charging was nearly done when I checked but the “Service high voltage charging system” message appeared. It can be dismissed with a check mark ✔ but returns with each start and the orange “Service car soon” stays on continuously. I checked coolant levels and the front passenger side battery coolant tank level was very low (about 1/2” from empty). I filled it to the full line with proper GM 50/50 coolant. I plugged in my ODB2 reader and it does show a fault but will not display a code number. Erasing does not make the code disappear. I can get the car checked by an EV tech for a week, so I’m hoping the computer will reset after 50-100 miles as in ICE’s if the coolant level was the problem. Any advice/comments?
I had the same issue, documented in this thread.

Long story short, they hey identified the coolant as being low and performed the vacuum technique to get it refilled. I actually haven't checked the coolant level since (good reminder to do so though). I've done only one L2 charging session since the dealer visit, so not much has taken place to put the battery cooling to the test.

I don't think you can't get away with addressing this one on your own as I believe the vacuum fill technique is required. A trip to the dealer is most probably in your next few days.

·
Administrator
3,149 Posts
It was in the GM service manual three years ago, when Professor Kelly tore apart, and reassembled their Bolt.
How many GM EV techs do you think get their training from Weber Auto?

To be EV certified, I have to imagine GM schooled techs on the cooling system flush and fill procedure. I mean, it is one of the few required maintenance items for our Bolts!

But as we know from many things in life, failing to remind folks in a detailed process document ensures a certain number will forget lessons learned years prior and fall back on having followed the steps in the recall document.

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
11,139 Posts
From the original recall service bulletin. I saw it there when I read it, and I wasn't replacing a battery.

13. Fill the drive motor battery cooling system. Refer to Drive Motor Battery Cooling System Draining and Filling in SI.

In other words RTFM!

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
From the original recall service bulletin. I saw it there when I read it, and I wasn't replacing a battery.

13. Fill the drive motor battery cooling system. Refer to Drive Motor Battery Cooling System Draining and Filling in SI.

In other words RTFM!
Oh well... people were just going by the bulletin's brief verbiage instead of referring to the service manual. So, the bulletin got revised due to it being such a frequent problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am a tech my self and I do repairs under warranty for construction tools and small machinery and I read the procedures. I am not saying that I do not do some mistakes here and there but nothing as critical and obvious like this. I also build custom watercooling loops for custom built computers and it is not rocket science, air is trapped inside the loop components like radiators and hose. If there is air (and there is always air in when new or disassembled/reassembled) then it won't do a proper job of cooling critical hardware.

More I read here more I am afraid of getting my battery replaced. I drive 120miles a day and I don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere

that or they will find a way to install the 80% update that I don't have after the batt replacement

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,681 Posts
I am a tech my self and I do repairs under warranty for construction tools and small machinery and I read the procedures. I am not saying that I do not do some mistakes here and there but nothing as critical and obvious like this. I also build custom watercooling loops for custom built computers and it is not rocket science, air is trapped inside the loop components like radiators and hose. If there is air (and there is always air in when new or disassembled/reassembled) then it won't do a proper job of cooling critical hardware.

More I read here more I am afraid of getting my battery replaced. I drive 120miles a day and I don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere

that or they will find a way to install the 80% update that I don't have after the batt replacement
Doctors make the worst patients....

·
Registered
12 Posts

To be EV certified, I have to imagine GM schooled techs on the cooling system flush and fill procedure. I mean, it is one of the few required maintenance items for our Bolts!
Plus, the need sounds essentially similar to what needs to happen for Volt battery coolant changes for a decade before. This ain't new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had my battery replaced on my 2017 due to the recall on Christmas Eve and the message popped up this morning. This is a joke. I went through a week of bs after my battery swap because they installed the wrong software. The battery wouldn’t charge past 80%. Now here we go again with something else.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,933 Posts
Had my battery replaced on my 2017 due to the recall on Christmas Eve and the message popped up this morning. This is a joke. I went through a week of bs after my battery swap because they installed the wrong software. The battery wouldn’t charge past 80%. Now here we go again with something else.
Not a joke. They probably neglected to "burp" the coolant loop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts