Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
104 Posts
Called Chevy customer care here in Canada to see if I can find anything else out and also mentioned that I’m not impressed the 2 months the EUV has been sitting on dealer lot I’ve had to fork out gas/ maintenance on the vehicle I’m going to trade in.
They offered $2500 off the vehicle which was definitely a nice gesture. But if it’s going to take another 3+ months before I can drive that bolt off the lot I’m going to start looking elsewhere for an EV.
Well, FWIW, with tax in you are saving about $1400 a month waiting so that isn't so bad in some respects. While I was able to take delivery in July of this year it was the only vehicle I have ever bought with absolutely no discount whatsoever...I mean nothing. It was full MSRP and I couldn't even get them to give me the equivalent of the full tank of gas that they supply with each ICE vehicle they sell....crazy times trying to buy a car during Covid.

Reactions: Croxley611

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, the question is when. You can check via one of the methods at Battery replacement recall remedy tracking summary.

If it says "incomplete, remedy not yet available", your car isn't up for a pack yet.
The post I quoted specifically said they'd seen no commitment from GM about replacing batteries in 2020-2022 vehicles and I responded to say that the recall I received for my '22 DID specify replacement. I wasn't attempting to answer the "When?" question, because I won't know when until they tell me when.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
3+ months?

I have a made in USA battery '19. Given the volume of vehicles likely in front of me in line (e.g. '19 w/MIK batteries and probably most/all '17), I'd be surprised if my car is eligible for a replacement within 1 year. However, yours is a goofy case since GM could actually book revenue for the sale if they haven't already whereas that already happened w/mine over 2.5 years ago.

Unclear what the balance is on GM's side about fixing existing customer cars, unsold cars (new and used), cars in limbo, new production, etc.
Word on the street (completely hearsay from my local dealer via their regional rep, so nothing official) is that GM is going to begin mixing battery distribution between recalled vehicles and production/stock vehicles as soon as every "high risk" '19 Bolt has a battery available.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Just seen this article, which gives me even less hope of driving the EUV off the dealer lot before 2022. My hopes are starting to fade and the reality of the alternative choice (Rav 4 hybrid) is becoming more apparent.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Just seen this article, which gives me even less hope of driving the EUV off the dealer lot before 2022. My hopes are starting to fade and the reality of the alternative choice (Rav 4 hybrid) is becoming more apparent.
Hang in there. I am not familiar with the RAV but if it is just a hybrid then I wouldn't bother. I had a Camry hybrid and was sorely disappointed. If you can't hang on for the Bolt then see what is out there in terms of PHEV offerings. For the most part, a PHEV is an electric vehicle for day to day and only gets into the gas on a longer trip whereas the hybrid is always consuming some gasoline. Our Pacifica PHEV is really a BEV for all intensive purposes as we very rarely go outside of its 50KM all electric range. We actually went on a two hour trip last week to visit some friends down in Windsor and it was the first time that I have put any gas in it in months. Our son is in northern Ontario so it also comes in handy if we are going to visit him as we can charge up and fill up and take off on the trip worry free...not to mention I can move him back and forth from school and haul drywall from Home Depot in that thing without breaking a sweat!

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,440 Posts
..... My hopes are starting to fade and the reality of the alternative choice (Rav 4 hybrid) is becoming more apparent.
Look up Oil Change Intervals on the Rav 4 hybrid. (Plug-in, I assume)

If it's like the Prius Prime you are forced to change that smelly engine oil every 10k miles,
regardless of how much the engine has been used during that time.
Pretty wasteful...(n)

Evidently Toyota does not have an oil life monitor system like the Volt did.
With the Volt you could go up to 2 yrs on an oil change if you mostly drove EV.

Big choice ahead! Go electric and join the future,, or stick with old tech.

Reactions: Croxley611 and XJ12

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,440 Posts
.... whereas the hybrid is always consuming some gasoline.
Our Pacifica PHEV is really a BEV for all intensive purposes as we very rarely go outside of its 50KM all electric range. ....
Right!
A hybrid intensively ;) gets ALL it's energy from that smelly stuff.

They're just a little more efficient at sipping the gas because of the assist from the small battery pack.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yeah I’ve been all over the map while waiting for the Bolt to become saleable, almost pulled the trigger on a used model 3 but it just didn’t fit my idea of a everyday car but needed something with a hatch and can’t afford the Y.

was considering the kona but too small, and a nitro ev but feel it’s overpriced for what you get.

considered a Mitsubishi PHEV/Tuscon PHEV/ Rav 4 Prime but hard to get ahold of one in my area and it’ll be a 3-4 month wait which always brings me back to waiting out for the bolt. Back in the summer I wanted to get into something to save me gas money but at this rate I don’t want to wait till summer because I feel like I’m just throwing away $$ on gas, and the amount of kms I put on my current car the trade in value will go down considerably.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Look up Oil Change Intervals on the Rav 4 hybrid. (Plug-in, I assume)

If it's like the Prius Prime you are forced to change that smelly engine oil every 10k miles,
regardless of how much the engine has been used during that time.
Pretty wasteful...(n)

Evidently Toyota does not have an oil life monitor system like the Volt did.
With the Volt you could go up to 2 yrs on an oil change if you mostly drove EV.

Big choice ahead! Go electric and join the future,, or stick with old tech.
That is interesting...didn't know that. Both our Fusion and Pacifica PHEVs are oil life monitor systems....the Ford required 2 oil changes over 3 years and 75KM. The Pacifica has had one when we bought it last year because I didn't get maintenance history with it and it is at 41KM.

·
Registered
10 Posts

You are right - by end of 2021 is probably optimistic even if they do start to prioritorize the new Bolts EV/EUVs within the used ones once the high risk 2019 ones have been dealt with (as one article suggested). There really is only a month left given the xmas break and the dealers already busy this year swapping winter tires up here in the frozen north.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
422 Posts
Right!
A hybrid intensively ;) gets ALL it's energy from that smelly stuff.

They're just a little more efficient at sipping the gas because of the assist from the small battery pack.
The Pacifica Hybrid is a PHEV. It's an extremely efficient full size minivan, for people who need the size. My daughter has had one for several years, and She can usually do her entire commute in EV mode. And when the entire family needs to go somewhere, it has the room for them all, plus what they are taking along.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The Pacifica Hybrid is a PHEV. It's an extremely efficient full size minivan, for people who need the size. My daughter has had one for several years, and She can usually do her entire commute in EV mode. And when the entire family needs to go somewhere, it has the room for them all, plus what they are taking along.
I was disappointed to hear from a friend that you can’t really force the Pacifica to stay in EV mode. My understanding is that you can select EV mode, but the car will override if temps are too low or too heavy on the accelerator. Is that true?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was disappointed to hear from a friend that you can’t really force the Pacifica to stay in EV mode. My understanding is that you can select EV mode, but the car will override if temps are too low or too heavy on the accelerator. Is that true?
It is true but nothing to be disappointed about. It is really applying some logic and figuring out what is the most efficient method and it goes that route. For example, if it sits outside at -20 all day then the engine will fire up when you jump in because the heat demand is obviously high and the cabin is huge...once things warm up then it will revert back to electric mode. I would also agree that it will pop out of EV mode with a heavy load / heavy foot combo but it does so momentarily. Rumour has it that there may be an EV Pacifica coming in a couple of years but as I mentioned above, unless you have a long commute it is essentially an electric van. We literally go months without putting gas into it and when we do we rarely fill it up

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
422 Posts
That's true with almost every PHEV. Very few are like the Volt, in that they have an electric heater and will not normally start the ICE with a heavy throttle foot. But yes, the Pacifica offers the driver zero control over the mode it operates in. It is in EV mode until the battery is drained to the minimum point (the dash only displays zero miles range remaining), and then switches to Hybrid mode, which is still incredibly efficient for a minivan.

My Niro had three modes: EV, Hybrid and Sport. EV mode would stay in EV only unless the throttle foot was calling for more power than the EV motor could provide (which is only 60 HP). It would also start the ICE if cabin heat was required, although it basically only ran the engine at a fast idle and would still report 150 MPG or better while it was providing heat. And it didn't run constantly, just enough to warm the coolant to provide heat to the cabin, then turn back off. Hybrid mode would act as a charge saver, in that it would hold the battery charge near the level it had when the mode was engaged. This is good for saving battery for a driving segment that would better benefit driving in EV mode. Sport mode allowed control over the transmission (it has a 6 speed DCT, not a CVT), sharpened up the throttle response, and would also charge the battery. This of course impacted the MPG, so it's not the most efficient method of charging the battery.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Now that you mention the modes, our Fusion had that. EV now, EV later and then auto or something to that effect. I never actually used it and just let it do its thing but it was an option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, back in July I put a deposit on a EUV and it finally showed up at dealer a week after the stop sale started. My dealer got mixed communication from above and a few weeks ago they informed me they will just have to run a diagnostic test once they have it available to check the battery then if all checks out I can drive it off the lot.
Last week they informed me the battery will have to be replaced, but they have no clue when.
Just wondering if anyone is in same situation and what have their dealers been communicating to them?
I have a 2020 Bolt and the service manger at my dealership in RI said that they were replacing 2 battery packs per week (small dealership) and he expected that they would start on the 2020 vehicles around January based on the number of Bolts waiting in the the in queue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I got my winter tires put on in early November, I was told that they just starting doing the recall repairs. They said they would be starting with the older models, and that my vehicle (2022) would be last in line.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
After putting deposit down in the beginning of July for EUV, it arriving a week after stop sale at dealer and finally getting word that the battery won’t be replaced until summer I’m throwing in the towel. I held out hope but when I was in the market in the summer to purchase so I can save gas I didn’t expect to wait this long. Ordered a 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe PHEV. I hope all the best for everyone waiting, the bolt is a great car it’s just too bad this battery mess had to happen.

·
Registered
104 Posts
After putting deposit down in the beginning of July for EUV, it arriving a week after stop sale at dealer and finally getting word that the battery won’t be replaced until summer I’m throwing in the towel. I held out hope but when I was in the market in the summer to purchase so I can save gas I didn’t expect to wait this long. Ordered a 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe PHEV. I hope all the best for everyone waiting, the bolt is a great car it’s just too bad this battery mess had to happen.
Too bad it didn't work out for you....hopefully the order does. In my case I ended up looking at the Bolt after Ford wouldn't build the Escape PHEV that we had ordered. Strange times indeed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Too bad it didn't work out for you....hopefully the order does. In my case I ended up looking at the Bolt after Ford wouldn't build the Escape PHEV that we had ordered. Strange times indeed.
They wouldn’t? Why not?
I remember almost purchasing an escape hybrid in the summer and then seeing the PHEV and thought that was better value.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts