Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
401 - 420 of 444 Posts

· Registered
814 Posts
Forgive me, but I seem to have fallen into a sarcasm. It is so nice to see GM has realized the cars most at hazard in a fire recall are the ones parked unused on dealer lots, not the one being driven everyday and parked in people’s garages. I had calculated that statistically my 2020 might move to an open status in September or October, but since they are pushing all the 2022s to the head of the line, it now looks like March maybe. If we are really lucky, MAYBE they will at least get all the 2017-2019s from the first recall at least moved to an open status by the end of the year, if they can get all the dealer cars done first.

· Registered
814 Posts
For some reason I thought adding more entries to the Battery Recall Tracker might make the replacement process a little clearer. I pulled VINs from Cars.com, checked them against the GM recall site, and added them if they were still unresolved. I realized used Bolts on non-GM dealer lots are no more or less likely to be recalled than those in private hands, so I added 2017-2021s. While I was able to find some of the 2017-2019s to add, most of the ones I checked were already completed. On the 2020s I stopped at 100 records, there were still about 150 more to go. I think I only stumbled on three 2020s completed. I was surprised to find so few 2021s for sale used, but I suppose many were still unsold on dealer lots and caught by the stop sale. I did not add any more 2022s. Anyway, there are now more than 600 entries so hopefully as the recall moves forward a better perspective can be reached.

· Registered
1,467 Posts
@boltage Unsure if you want to add my 2nd battery replacement or not, but mentioning it here. My Battery #1 was originally replaced with Battery #2 back in March 2022 as you've already logged in the master table in the OP. On Aug 9th my Battery #2 failed with Reduced Propulsion condition and was diagnosed on Aug 17th as having a failure in Cell 65 Row 4 and GM sent me a new Battery #3 as replacement which was done on Aug 30th. I do not know what the failure is, unfortunately. I have treated my Bolt to a DCFC maybe once every 3-5 months and keep it connected to a 20A EVSE and mostly charge to 90% (HTR ON) in the Pacific Northwest mild climate so no battery abuse on my part.

Forgot, I have scattered details in this thread: Code P0BBD

· Registered
115 Posts
I just sent a text to the dealer and he said it was already ordered at 7:30am this morning. Should be here in 1-2 weeks.
My battery was ordered 8/15/22. The dealer said it could take up to six weeks to arrive. The dealer told me they cannot track it so I called the EV Concierge and they said they cannot track it and to call the dealer. Guess I'm stuck in a loop and will have to patiently wait. Does anyone know the SOC required when dropping the car off for battery replacement?

· Registered
814 Posts
My battery was ordered 8/15/22. The dealer said it could take up to six weeks to arrive. The dealer told me they cannot track it so I called the EV Concierge and they said they cannot track it and to call the dealer. Guess I'm stuck in a loop and will have to patiently wait. Does anyone know the SOC required when dropping the car off for battery replacement?
The GM instructions show less than 90% charge and not charged in the past 24 hours. I would run in a lot lower because why not.

· Registered
814 Posts
Thank you. I guess I'll be okay with SOC due to 80% limit on software.
Honestly, I would just arrive with enough charge to get there. No since paying for electricity to charge a battery that you won't get to use. I am sure their requirement for the battery to be only partially charged is due to shipping rules on lithium batteries.

· Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
I am sure their requirement for the battery to be only partially charged is due to shipping rules on lithium batteries.
They also know that battery fires in defective batteries are most likely to happen at >90% state-of-charge, so having the old batteries at lower state-of-charge reduces the risk of them catching fire while being shipped back to the refurbishment facility, or their modules catching fire before being removed and recycled.

· Registered
9 Posts
My 2021 VIN showed up this morning on Battery Recall Tracker website, changed to incomplete,
EV Concierge called a hour later,they called my local dealer had them order battery an scheduled
replacement to arrive in six weeks.Good service.

· Registered
814 Posts
My 2021 VIN showed up this morning on Battery Recall Tracker website, changed to incomplete,
EV Concierge called a hour later,they called my local dealer had them order battery an scheduled
I'm confused, I thought the status had to be "Open" to order a battery.

· Registered
22 EUV LT
68 Posts
I'm confused, I thought the status had to be "Open" to order a battery.
Some websites show 'open', others 'incomplete' (eg the Canada recall site). Both mean the same thing, a battery is available.

Update on my dealer stock 2022: switched to 'open' 8/22, confirmed swap with dealer a couple days later, switched to 'no recall' 9/2, dealer says ready for pickup 9/9 (this Friday!). So less than 3 weeks start to finish.

· Registered
9 Posts
Sorry i meant to say on the Battery Recall Tracker it changed to OPEN, on the Chevrolet website it changed to in complete.

· Registered
1,841 Posts
Honestly, I would just arrive with enough charge to get there. No since paying for electricity to charge a battery that you won't get to use. I am sure their requirement for the battery to be only partially charged is due to shipping rules on lithium batteries.
Yeah I dropped mine off with 30% charge.

401 - 420 of 444 Posts