Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCMN-21V560-8830.pdf recenty appeared on the NHTSA.gov web site. It is a message dated November 8, 2021 from GM to dealers that "Additional 2017 - 2019 model year Chevrolet Bolt EV vehicles have been moved to ‘Open’ status in IVH and are now eligible for a battery module replacement." So it does look like the observed reports from November 5-6, 2021 match up with a batch of cars becoming remedy-eligible at that time.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,322 Posts
More interesting information: Donohoo Chevrolet's inventory is now showing a small number of 2018 cars that have become remedy-eligible (along with most, but not all, 2019 cars it has).
That's Interesting. According to @Sean Graham (Telek), there were ~14k model year 2019 Bolts with batteries made in Korea. Battery replacements began about 1 month ago (10/14 according to the table in the first post of this thread), so that might indicate a battery production rate. If so, it implies that 140,000 batteries might be produced in as few as 10 months.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
That's Interesting. According to @Sean Graham (Telek), there were ~14k model year 2019 Bolts with batteries made in Korea. Battery replacements began about 1 month ago (10/14 according to the table in the first post of this thread), so that might indicate a battery production rate. If so, it implies that 140,000 batteries might be produced in as few as 10 months.
Yes, that could be the case (although 10/14 was the first known battery replacement on these forums, so the batteries must have started production before that and had time to get shipped). However, given that a significant number of customers who have been notified of remedy eligibility are still trying to get repairs at dealers, it could be that dealer issues are now the bottleneck. Perhaps GM realizes that and decided to have the two week run of new production to absorb batteries that would otherwise just be backlogged on dealer issues.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Well, motivation of owner or dealer could be bottleneck. GM may have a quota of 14K units to be eligible for fix at one time and are just putting more cars into the bucket as the list dwindles. Any case, great to hear.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
On Facebook, the customer had posted a Torque Pro screen shot before (showing 52.6 kWh) and after (showing 64.8 kWh).
It's worth noting that when the new battery is installed the BMS is initialized with a default capacity. It will take a bit of driving for the BMS to learn and report the true capacity. I imagine it could go up or it could go down, probably with more room on the downside than the upside.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
So far, still looks like mostly 2019 cars have become remedy eligible. The exceptions:
  • Cars that were already at the dealer waiting for battery modules (e.g. P0BBD codes and the like).
  • Cars that previously received replacement batteries in late 2018 (when the highest risk batteries were being made to put in 2019 cars).
  • A few 2018 cars, apparently with the highest risk use patterns (e.g. 185k miles with daily charging to 100%).

However, there are still some 2019 cars with Korea-made batteries that have not been moved to remedy eligibility.

Some on these forums who have reported remedy eligibility are still having trouble with local dealer unwillingness or inability to do the repair.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
So far, still looks like mostly 2019 cars have become remedy eligible. The exceptions:
  • Cars that were already at the dealer waiting for battery modules (e.g. P0BBD codes and the like).
  • Cars that previously received replacement batteries in late 2018 (when the highest risk batteries were being made to put in 2019 cars).
  • A few 2018 cars, apparently with the highest risk use patterns (e.g. 185k miles with daily charging to 100%).

However, there are still some 2019 cars with Korea-made batteries that have not been moved to remedy eligibility.

Some on these forums who have reported remedy eligibility are still having trouble with local dealer unwillingness or inability to do the repair.
I can confirm at least one MY 2017 VIN has become remedy eligible as well. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you about recent charging history.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I can confirm at least one MY 2017 VIN has become remedy eligible as well. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you about recent charging history.
So far, the 2017 cars that I have seen reported as remedy eligible have been:
  • Cars that were already stuck at dealers for module replacements for other reasons (e.g. P0BBD triggered by the May software).
  • One car that had its battery replaced in late 2018 (when the highest risk batteries were made) for other defects.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
So far, the 2017 cars that I have seen reported as remedy eligible have been:
  • Cars that were already stuck at dealers for module replacements for other reasons (e.g. P0BBD triggered by the May software).
  • One car that had its battery replaced in late 2018 (when the highest risk batteries were made) for other defects.
The one I can confirm used to belong to a good friend. He sold it about 8 months ago. I ran the VIN, and it comes back as eligible. I cannot tell you what has happened in the 8 months since he sold it, but it was not routinely deep discharged prior to him selling it.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
So far, it looks like there is a lull in cars being moved to the remedy eligible category since early-to-mid November.

It still looks like mostly 2019 cars (with Korea-made batteries when specified), but a few 2017 and 2018 cars (not stuck at dealer waiting for batteries already or with previously replaced batteries during the high-risk period) have been moved to the remedy eligible category. However, there are still some 2019 cars with Korea-made batteries that have not yet been moved to the remedy eligible category.

·
Registered
34 Posts
New bolt owner and late to the party.
Dumb question. Checking my vin online, it says remedy not available. I'm assuming the dealership will not replace my battery until it says remedy available?
2017 Bolt premier

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
New bolt owner and late to the party.
Dumb question. Checking my vin online, it says remedy not available. I'm assuming the dealership will not replace my battery until it says remedy available?
2017 Bolt premier
The dealer can only order a battery for your car's VIN when your VIN is no longer listed as "not yet available".

·
Registered
890 Posts
What will it say exactly? Just want to make sure I know what I'm looking for, thanks

I'm assuming they're doing this in a specific order, based on fire risk?
The "tell" is the last 3 digits of your recall change from 880 to 881. However, the interim software patch with the 80% limit, should you decide to get it, is 883.

Reactions: npatel1050

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
What will it say exactly? Just want to make sure I know what I'm looking for, thanks

I'm assuming they're doing this in a specific order, based on fire risk?
Last digit of the GM campaign number changes from 0 to 1, and the status says "incomplete" or "open" without saying "remedy not yet available".

Note that if the last digit in the GM campaign number changes to 3, then your car can get the software update mentioned elsewhere (80% charge limit and extra monitoring that GM says will make it less dangerous to park inside or discharge below 70 miles). This is not the final remedy.

Yes, cars become eligible in order of what GM believes to be fire risk, based on both battery manufacturing date and charge / discharge history from OnStar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Last digit of the GM campaign number changes from 0 to 1, and the status says "incomplete" or "open" without saying "remedy not yet available".

Note that if the last digit in the GM campaign number changes to 3, then your car can get the software update mentioned elsewhere (80% charge limit and extra monitoring that GM says will make it less dangerous to park inside or discharge below 70 miles). This is not the final remedy.

Yes, cars become eligible in order of what GM believes to be fire risk, based on both battery manufacturing date and charge / discharge history from OnStar.
Thanks for the explanation. Very helpful bunch y'all are!
I feel like this info would be stickied if it's not already.
Mine is 880 in case anyone was wondering.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2017 had refurbished battery installed under recall yesterday at Eddy's Chevrolet in Wichita, KS. Had about 4 bars when I picked it up. Plugged in when I got home and today it was full charged,(my hill top setting was gone) and it should mileage of over 300 miles. Never had seen that before. This was actually my second full battery replacement. Other was under warranty also but was not a refurb under the recall.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
My 2017 had refurbished battery installed under recall yesterday at Eddy's Chevrolet in Wichita, KS. Had about 4 bars when I picked it up. Plugged in when I got home and today it was full charged,(my hill top setting was gone) and it should mileage of over 300 miles. Never had seen that before. This was actually my second full battery replacement. Other was under warranty also but was not a refurb under the recall.
When was the previous battery replacement? If late 2018, then your first replacement battery probably came from a higher risk batch of batteries from Korea (the same batteries in the 2019 cars that are higher risk).

81 - 100 of 119 Posts