Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
417 Posts
When was the previous battery replacement? If late 2018, then your first replacement battery probably came from a higher risk batch of batteries from Korea (the same batteries in the 2019 cars that are higher risk).
The recall battery replacements are supposedly all-new. Later on, as returns happen, it's possible that some parts might be reused like the battery cases) but at least for the 60kwh models it's supposed to be all new cells.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
The recall batteries being installed are supposedly all-new. Later on, as returns happen, it's possible that some parts might be reused like the battery cases) but at least for the 60kwh models it's supposed to be all new cells.
The previous poster has a 2017 car that had the battery replaced previously, presumably before the recalls. If the previous battery replacement occurred during late 2018, then it may have been with a higher fire risk battery like the 2019 cars with Korea-made batteries.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
417 Posts
The previous poster has a 2017 car that had the battery replaced previously, presumably before the recalls. If the previous battery replacement occurred during late 2018, then it may have been with a higher fire risk battery like the 2019 cars with Korea-made batteries.
Thanks. I was responding to the "refurb" comment by the previous poster, and forgot that the quote string is cut off at this forum.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
My 2017 had refurbished battery installed under recall yesterday at Eddy's Chevrolet in Wichita, KS. Had about 4 bars when I picked it up. Plugged in when I got home and today it was full charged,(my hill top setting was gone) and it should mileage of over 300 miles. Never had seen that before. This was actually my second full battery replacement. Other was under warranty also but was not a refurb under the recall.
You refer to a refurbished battery being replaced as part of the recall? All indications have been that the batteries going in for the recall are all new. Why do you believe it was a refurb?

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
You refer to a refurbished battery being replaced as part of the recall? All indications have been that the batteries going in for the recall are all new. Why do you believe it was a refurb?
Not to put words in his mouth, but other folks who've had their batteries replaced as part of the recall have shown their service invoices which noted "refurbished battery". I have no idea what the logistics of the recall campaign are, but I expect that they have a part number for the replacement batteries that's described as "refurbished battery" whether it's new or not, so that they can use either type.

And it wouldn't surprise me if they've already started to ship replacement batteries which have had new modules installed in old cases. The last thing they want is 140,000 battery cases that they have no use for, so it makes sense to start recycling those as soon as possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The recall battery replacements are supposedly all-new. Later on, as returns happen, it's possible that some parts might be reused like the battery cases) but at least for the 60kwh models it's supposed to be all new cells.
6/16/2021 went to dealer for software update. on the way home a check eng light came on. went back and they reran update and got error codes and replaced battery section 3 under warranty. Next day after that car wouldn't come out of park. Got loaner again when they checked it out and had to replace the whole battery on 7/15/2021. every thing good then with new batteries but was told to use hilltop reserve for charging. Got a letter from GM that a recall was applicable to my bolt. Called dealer and he doubled checked and said yes I would need the new batteries replaced. So that's what they did for me on 11/24/21. I am good to go now and can charge to the max! So far so good but my new batteries are 1943250 : F-REFURBISHED BATTERY. I don't think replacement batteries are necessarily brand spanking new. How ever I have never seen over 300 mile range after full recharge before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Because the dealers service department print out receipt says preformed recall N21234881. REPLACED BATTERY ASSEMBLY. INSTALLED 19432520 : F-REFURBISHED BATTERY.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Because the dealers service department print out receipt says preformed recall N21234881. REPLACED BATTERY ASSEMBLY. INSTALLED 19432520 : F-REFURBISHED BATTERY.
Thank you!

I ask because I have received conflicting information. The part # is indeed for a "refurbished" battery, but as I understand it, most of the batteries going in right now are brand new, with some simply having a recycled case.

Just trying to learn more.

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
I ask because I have received conflicting information. The part # is indeed for a "refurbished" battery, but as I understand it, most of the batteries going in right now are brand new, with some simply having a recycled case.
The important thing is that you're getting all new battery cells inside your case, and if the battery you get does come with a recycled case the work of swapping out the battery guts will have been done at GM with a team that specializes in that work rather than having been done at a local dealer (many of whom we've seen to be relatively clueless).

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
6/16/2021 went to dealer for software update. on the way home a check eng light came on. went back and they reran update and got error codes and replaced battery section 3 under warranty. Next day after that car wouldn't come out of park. Got loaner again when they checked it out and had to replace the whole battery on 7/15/2021. every thing good then with new batteries but was told to use hilltop reserve for charging. Got a letter from GM that a recall was applicable to my bolt. Called dealer and he doubled checked and said yes I would need the new batteries replaced. So that's what they did for me on 11/24/21. I am good to go now and can charge to the max! So far so good but my new batteries are 1943250 : F-REFURBISHED BATTERY. I don't think replacement batteries are necessarily brand spanking new. How ever I have never seen over 300 mile range after full recharge before.
Interesting... they put a whole new battery (presumably a US-made one) in your car on July 15, 2021, but then replaced it again relatively early in the current recall.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
So far, not much action on new notifications since early November. Of course, some customers will be waiting to see if they will be in the next batch of notifications, whenever that may be.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So far, not much action on new notifications since early November. Of course, some customers will be waiting to see if they will be in the next batch of notifications, whenever that may be.
Thanks for keeping track of the notifications and reporting back to us.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I keep getting a call from EV concierge. Lady with a very thick accent, I can barely understand her. She keeps asking if I got a letter from GM about the battery recall. Says I'm supposed to get two different letters then I can schedule my appointment for repair. Honestly I don't know what she's talking about because mine still clearly states on the recall website it's not available yet as of today.

I have rented a car as instructed by EV concierge. They will reimburse after the repair. I still have the bolt but it just sits in my driveway. We drive it only when the rental is already out. Never leave it plugged in fully charge although we do charge to 100%. Current mileage 23k, 2017 premier, at full charge it says I have about 210 miles max range, 170 mid. Winter in NJ, we are using heat, seats, everything liberally. So that could explain the lower range numbers

Random question, will the new battery with higher capacity make my car quicker? It's already a hoot to drive, but I won't say no to extra acceleration

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I keep getting a call from EV concierge. Lady with a very thick accent, I can barely understand her. She keeps asking if I got a letter from GM about the battery recall. Says I'm supposed to get two different letters then I can schedule my appointment for repair. Honestly I don't know what she's talking about because mine still clearly states on the recall website it's not available yet as of today.

I have rented a car as instructed by EV concierge. They will reimburse after the repair. I still have the bolt but it just sits in my driveway. We drive it only when the rental is already out. Never leave it plugged in fully charge although we do charge to 100%. Current mileage 23k, 2017 premier, at full charge it says I have about 210 miles max range, 170 mid. Winter in NJ, we are using heat, seats, everything liberally. So that could explain the lower range numbers

Random question, will the new battery with higher capacity make my car quicker? It's already a hoot to drive, but I won't say no to extra acceleration
Perhaps you are in the next group to get called in for a battery, and there is a timing issue in GM's system? I'm being optimistic for you. :)

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,322 Posts
...Random question, will the new battery with higher capacity make my car quicker? It's already a hoot to drive, but I won't say no to extra acceleration
Not really. Nothing else has changed - the motor, the electronics, the gear reduction, etc. Having said that, there is a slight difference in acceleration with a full battery compared to a half-empty battery, so being able to charge to 100% will allow you to be as quick as possible. The nice thing about EVs is that adding stored energy to the battery has almost zero effect on the overall weight of the car, unlike ICE vehicles where a full tank of gas can add ~100 lbs (6.1 lbs / gallon).

·
Registered
224 Posts
It would be interesting to see, those who had a 2017-2019 battery replacement, if the new ones are not only bigger, but the BMS is also programmed to act in cold weather charging as the 2020+ Bolt EV. Let me explain for those who have no idea what I am talking about : the 2017-2019 in cold weather and cold battery are slow like snails when plugged in a DCFC charger. The 2020+ had an update from GM so that they start charging at a higher speed than the 2017-2019. And this is a very good improvement. For the 2017-2019, GM put out an BMS update.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The nice thing about EVs is that adding stored energy to the battery has almost zero effect on the overall weight of the car
I've done the math. Baring me busting the units somewhere, or messing up the number of zeros, I calculate that a fully charged Bolt (assuming 60 kWh in the pack) weighs 2.4 x 10^-9 kg more than when empty.

In "American" units that's 0.00000000592 lbs or 0.000000085 oz.

Wouldn't mind if someone double checked me. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've done the math. Baring me busting the units somewhere, or messing up the number of zeros, I calculate that a fully charged Bolt (assuming 60 kWh in the pack) weighs 2.4 x 10^-9 kg more than when empty.

In "American" units that's 0.00000000592 lbs or 0.000000085 oz.

Wouldn't mind if someone double checked me. :)
I checked, you are wrong by one … the third one. 🤣🤣🤣

P.S. No, don’t think I would ever do this ! I was joking 🙃

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
I'm not a physicist, but I've always imagined that charging a battery isn't really adding electrons to it but rather forcing them from one side of the battery to the other.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts