Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 Bolt was included in the recall for Battery replacement. After the replacement in beginning Dec 2021 in Metro Detroit Michigan, I got 165 miles - the ambient temp was 35F. Could somebody tell me if this is the expected full charge mileage. I am rather disappointed ☹

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the car sitting outside? The battery temperature is a large factor in the car trying to guess your range. Also, your car may be still "learning" and may take a few charge cycles to settle in.

Welcome to the forum.
The car was in the garage. Of course, temperature pays a big role - winter time full charge mileage in Michigan is always low - generally below 200 - but 160 is too low. I’ll see how it pans out after a few more charging cycles!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The car was in the garage. Of course, temperature pays a big role - winter time full charge mileage in Michigan is always low - generally below 200 - but 160 is too low. I’ll see how it pans out after a few more charging cycles!
In my experience that seems about right. Climate control, ambient temp and drivings habits (speed) all negativly impact range.
At 90% state of charge i would not be surprised at all the see 160 miles or less on the guess o meter in winter. Im in wisconsin and drive 70 miles one way to work daily at ~ 65mph avg. I'm at about 145miles range at 90% state of charge. I have L2 charging at work. In the summer I am able to easily meet the EPA estimated range so I have no concerns about any battery degredataion.
This is one area where I think manufacturers in general need to be more up front with customers : Winter Range.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
My 2019 Bolt was included in the recall for Battery replacement. After the replacement in beginning Dec 2021 in Metro Detroit Michigan, I got 165 miles - the ambient temp was 35F. Could somebody tell me if this is the expected full charge mileage. I am rather disappointed ☹
Meaning you could only drive 165 miles or that the GOM says "165 miles"? Never trust the GOM.

·
Registered
336 Posts
At our software update a year or so ago I saw this drop also, but within a week or two it changed dramatically, and a result of that old update was that I got better efficiency. Prior to the update I was getting 4.3 mi/kWh. For 5000 miles since then I have gotten 4.7-4.8. So I suspect the same thing is happening here. Give it time. Now, I just today got notice of the new software update. I am not sure I want to do it as the 80% restriction is somewhat serious. But I called and pressed on the question: When is the new battery coming? The answer was "a matter of month". So maybe I should do it as I can live with it for a few months. I wonder if anyone else here has decided to not do the newest software update and just wait for the new batteries. (My 2017 Bolt has had no problems in 4 years. I have not followed the "Park outside always except when charging in daytime, which is the only time you are allowed to park in indoors). That is just unworkable up here at 10000 feet. Blizzard today.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
(My 2017 Bolt has had no problems in 4 years. I have not followed the "Park outside always except when charging in daytime, which is the only time you are allowed to park in indoors)
It does not say that. It says to park outside immediately after charging. It's vague, but that does not imply parking outside all the time... just only "immediately" after charging (whatever "immediately" means).
3.Out of an abundance of caution, customers should continue to park their vehicles outside immediately after charging and not leave their vehicles charging indoors overnight.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had my MY2019 replaced and I got it back on 10/29/2021. First new charge gave me 241 miles on the GOM. That's FAR below what I was getting before the battery was changed. However I have seen a small, but steady increase on the GOM, and today when I left the house it was reading 262 miles. I'm in East Tennessee average temps are moderate, and I almost NEVER use the heater nor the AC. Heated seats and steering wheel are all I really need!
Vehicle Font Display device Watch Electronic device

·
Registered
335 Posts
At our software update a year or so ago I saw this drop also, but within a week or two it changed dramatically, and a result of that old update was that I got better efficiency. Prior to the update I was getting 4.3 mi/kWh. For 5000 miles since then I have gotten 4.7-4.8. So I suspect the same thing is happening here. Give it time. Now, I just today got notice of the new software update. I am not sure I want to do it as the 80% restriction is somewhat serious. But I called and pressed on the question: When is the new battery coming? The answer was "a matter of month". So maybe I should do it as I can live with it for a few months. I wonder if anyone else here has decided to not do the newest software update and just wait for the new batteries. (My 2017 Bolt has had no problems in 4 years. I have not followed the "Park outside always except when charging in daytime, which is the only time you are allowed to park in indoors). That is just unworkable up here at 10000 feet. Blizzard today.
We started parking and charging in the garage as soon a the temps started going below freezing, been about a month now. 2021 that gets driven Mon-Fri 130-140 miles. Leaves with 90% arrives home wot 20-30% left on battery SOC depending on speed the wife drives and how much heat she uses. Plugged in and charged every night and most mornings I pre-start it for my wife to have it warmed up on the L2 to give her a warm car on plug power. We could live with the update but not sure it's needed. we won't see a battery for 6 months + but that's fine too because it will have a lot more miles on it by then. We have 13K on it now and have only had the car since Aug 19 2021. so we will put 17K or more on it by 6 months from now.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It does not say that. It says to park outside immediately after charging. It's vague, but that does not imply parking outside all the time... just only "immediately" after charging (whatever "immediately" means).
Well, I asked specifically. She consulted a "technician" and the answer was: never park it in inside unless you are charging it and it is daytime. Well, that was the interpretation of "immediately" on this phone call: To her it means "immediately and forever...until your next daytime charge". The fact is, I am parking it inside (little choice considering blizzards, etc), and charging it overnight, occasionally unplugging at 10 pm when I remember to do so.

·
Registered
336 Posts
We started parking and charging in the garage as soon a the temps started going below freezing, been about a month now. 2021 that gets driven Mon-Fri 130-140 miles. Leaves with 90% arrives home wot 20-30% left on battery SOC depending on speed the wife drives and how much heat she uses. Plugged in and charged every night and most mornings I pre-start it for my wife to have it warmed up on the L2 to give her a warm car on plug power. We could live with the update but not sure it's needed. we won't see a battery for 6 months + but that's fine too because it will have a lot more miles on it by then. We have 13K on it now and have only had the car since Aug 19 2021. so we will put 17K or more on it by 6 months from now.
So just to be clear: Do you think you will go ahead and get the update? I am trying to decide.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Well, I asked specifically. She consulted a "technician" and the answer was: never park it in inside unless you are charging it and it is daytime. Well, that was the interpretation of "immediately" on this phone call: To her it means "immediately and forever...until your next daytime charge". The fact is, I am parking it inside (little choice considering blizzards, etc), and charging it overnight, occasionally unplugging at 10 pm when I remember to do so.
If that were true, like so many other recalls, they would just write something like "park your vehicle outside and away from vehicles and structures" except for charging of course... But that's not what they wrote. It's all contingent on charging or having charged recently.

Do what you want, but you could theoretically keep your Bolt indoors overnight as long as it's not charging and wasn't charged "recently" (because that technically adheres to rule (3)).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wonder if anyone else here has decided to not do the newest software update and just wait for the new batteries. (My 2017 Bolt has had no problems in 4 years. I have not followed the "Park outside always except when charging in daytime, which is the only time you are allowed to park in indoors). That is just unworkable up here at 10000 feet. Blizzard today.
I decided not to get the latest update. I set the charge limit to 90% and I am comfortable with that. I may be foolish, but I also still park in the garage at home. The only thing I do differently is I do not charge overnight (L2) or unattended. Just during the day when home, then unplug at night. (2019 Bolt with 25000 miles)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was curious which Metro Detroit dealer did the recall and if you were happy with their service department.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.