Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

(Relatively) new owner here - bought a 2017 Bolt on 3 Jan

It charged up to 236 possible miles - yesterday AM and on a 54 mile round trip that i have made previously at the "cost" of 52-55 miles - the gauge was down to 139 - I usually keep my speeds below 70 with the occasional 75 on the interstate and generally use L mode with one pedal driving and no hard braking. Should I be worried about my battery?

Thank you

(I charge it using a Level 2 Clipper Creek charger at home)

·
Registered
240 Posts
What was the ambient temperature yesterday compared to the previous 52-55 costing trip?
Was there any difference in your use of the heater between trips?
Did the current trip involve unusual acceleration episodes, as when passing or coming onto the interstate?
Have you checked your tires recently?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about 1 outlier, since there are a bunch of variables involved. If your reduced range persists, especially when the weather warms up, then it may be time to get things checked out.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Guess O Meter can jump around by 20 estimated miles just by turning the heater on. Try it some time. Turn heater on, then off and watch the estimate on the GOM bounce around.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Traveling at 70 to 75 mph will definitely reduce your range to below the predicted average range - and definitely well below the predicted maximum range. I too have noticed that my freeway driving knocks down the maximum predicted range by about a factor of two. Note that the speedo ring turns yellow, telling you that you are consuming energy at a rate that exceeds the usage for average (and maximum) predicted range.

Like XJ12, I don't put much faith in the guess-o-meter. My Bolt is used mostly for commuting (34 miles round trip) and neighborhood shopping runs, so I generally ignore the guess-o-meter. I have only run it into the 'orange zone' (less than about 30 miles of charge left) once - and even then it was just to see what would happen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for the replies
The ambient temp was around 44 F two days ago

I left the house today with 211 on the GoM with an ambient temp of 43
I turned the heat off
Drove 28 miles to work 5 miles city both sides inclusive, and the rest highway but at rush hour
Made sure to stay at 60-61 mph (painful given the capability of the car) - and average speed was around 30-32
Arrived at work with 216 on the GoM

I did read the thread about the 156 from a poster on the East Coast and the discussions therein

I used to always "go with the traffic" which was around 80-82 in the afternoon hours but the rewards of the slower speed and being frugal with the heat are sweet as well - made sure to wear warm socks but did not terribly miss the warmth in the cabin

Will see what the summer looks like - thank you to all of you for replying and sharing your knowledge

(Absolutely LOVE that I never have to go a gas station again)

·
Registered
575 Posts
ManSinha, I think you meant the ambient temp was around 44 F, not 44 C. If it was 44 C (111 F), you definitely do not need warm socks.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
There are quite a few topics/threads on this forum about range variations - very informative reading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.