Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting thing happened today...

My wife & I drove an hour (~55 miles) on our normal morning commute. Once I reached my wife's office, I stopped to drop her off and then noticed this warning pop up on the screen: Battery Saver Active.

Never seen it before. We've only got ~6,800 miles on the car. No codes in the system. Manual says it could be anything from a benign: "State of Charge needs to be reset" all the way up to the Auxiliary Power Module has failed.

The car drove normally the rest of the commute to my office (another 3 miles). I cycled the car on & off in my parking lot when I got to work. It never popped back up. Just a quirk or something that I need to keep an eye on?

On a side note: I noticed that I never got my usual text message from OnStar saying the car had completed charging, but I also received no text message saying there was an interruption to the overnight charge either.

Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Gadget Family car

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,268 Posts
If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage you are seeing at the 12V battery with the car off and with it on. It should be higher with the car on. If not, your APU is probably dying.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I got the same message last week, looked it up and it said the 12v battery was weak and when you get that it will shut off un necessary drains like the infotainment system. It never shut off anything. I checked the voltage when I got home and it was fine at 12.6 volts, charging voltage was 14.6 volts. The battery was just replaced in May. The message has never come back so I chalked it up to a glitch.

Reactions: jefro

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Searching on Google it seems the message is indicating the 12V battery is not producing enough voltage. Even though your mileage is low, maybe its just a bad battery?
If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage you are seeing at the 12V battery with the car off and with it on. It should be higher with the car on. If not, your APU is probably dying.
@Dark-Fx By "APU" I'm assuming you're referring to the 12-volt battery? Just checking I have the lingo correct.

I got the same message last week, looked it up and it said the 12v battery was weak and when you get that it will shut off un necessary drains like the infotainment system. It never shut off anything. I checked the voltage when I got home and it was fine at 12.6 volts, charging voltage was 14.6 volts. The battery was just replaced in May. The message has never come back so I chalked it up to a glitch.
Thanks folks. It's been hot as **** here in Nevada (110° to 115° F) this week. Unseasonably hot for Nevada. I'll check the battery voltage of the 12v battery tonight when I get home and have access to my voltmeter. I would be bummed out if the battery was bad this early in the life of the vehicle, but I know the heat eats up batteries.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,268 Posts
@Dark-Fx By "APU" I'm assuming you're referring to the 12-volt battery? Just checking I have the lingo correct.

Thanks folks. It's been hot as **** here in Nevada (110° to 115° F) this week. Unseasonably hot for Nevada. I'll check the battery voltage of the 12v battery tonight when I get home and have access to my voltmeter. I would be bummed out if the battery was bad this early in the life of the vehicle, but I know the heat eats up batteries.
Accessory power unit. It's what charges the 12V battery off the HV battery.

·
Registered
2023 Bolt EUV
93 Posts
The drive battery is 350V. The converter steps it down to keep the 12V battery charged. There’s no alternator on these cars!😁

when I lived it AZ I had 1 car that would kill a battery every 2 years. Heat definitely plays a factor especially if possibly you had a battery with a weak cell. But then again its entirely possible it was just an anomaly and the message doesn’t reappear andthere’s not really a problem.

·
Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
685 Posts
Interesting thing happened today...

My wife & I drove an hour (~55 miles) on our normal morning commute. Once I reached my wife's office, I stopped to drop her off and then noticed this warning pop up on the screen: Battery Saver Active.

Never seen it before. We've only got ~6,800 miles on the car. No codes in the system. Manual says it could be anything from a benign: "State of Charge needs to be reset" all the way up to the Auxiliary Power Module has failed.

The car drove normally the rest of the commute to my office (another 3 miles). I cycled the car on & off in my parking lot when I got to work. It never popped back up. Just a quirk or something that I need to keep an eye on?

On a side note: I noticed that I never got my usual text message from OnStar saying the car had completed charging, but I also received no text message saying there was an interruption to the overnight charge either.

View attachment 46512
I suspect that there is actually nothing wrong. You might have the dealer check it out to see if there are any codes set. I saw this when the 12V battery went dead but there was no problem found. Just a glitch of some sort.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier Cajun Red Tintcoat, Grizzl-E EVSE
273 Posts
My 12-volt battery from the factory was defective and failed (NJ) at six months. Note that charging, esp. DCFC, makes it even hotter under the hood. Someone posted here to open the garage door or even the hood during a substantial charge in hot climate.

The 12-volt battery passed a load test at the dealer, but Chevy told them to replace it. They had to send across town for one.

·
Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
685 Posts
My 12-volt battery from the factory was defective and failed (NJ) at six months. Note that charging, esp. DCFC, makes it even hotter under the hood. Someone posted here to open the garage door or even the hood during a substantial charge in hot climate.

The 12-volt battery passed a load test at the dealer, but Chevy told them to replace it. They had to send across town for one.
So actually, the battery was not bad, but GM wanted to do something while they figured out what was really going on. Personally, I am beginning to think that a lot of these bad batteries are simply misdiagnosed. All of this so-called battery sensitivity makes no sense at all. I am more and more convinced that it's a software glitch someplace. FWIW

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Had the Battery saver come on again day before yesterday, I started to think it happened at about the same State of Charge on the HV battery 30%. The owners manual does state it can come on if the HV battery state of charge gets too low. I wonder now if there is a software glitch in the diagnostic package they installed when the battery was replaced. It never happened before then. Mine goes in Tuesday for the new software recall, maybe that will fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the Battery saver come on again day before yesterday, I started to think it happened at about the same State of Charge on the HV battery 30%. The owners manual does state it can come on if the HV battery state of charge gets too low. I wonder now if there is a software glitch in the diagnostic package they installed when the battery was replaced. It never happened before then. Mine goes in Tuesday for the new software recall, maybe that will fix it.
I think you might be right. I had mine in last Wednesday for an unrelated issue and they did the ads update and I haven't seen it pop-up since. I had been seeing it every few days before that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts