Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just brought my 2017 Premier in for the 14.5 radio update and the Battery update where they reprogram the power control module, all I can say is don't do it. I usually drive very leisurely with my Bolt, local driving where it regenerates at get about 4.2 miles per KW. Going to the dealer using local roads stop and go for the update I used just over 5 KW for 26 miles which is 5.1 miles per KW but after the update going home using the same road and speed I used 14KW for 26 miles which is about 1.85 miles per KW, also while driving I smelled a slight burning rubber smell. Something is not right with this update.

MOD EDIT: estimated range estimates may be out of whack immediately after the update due to driving history being reset after the update. Numerous owners have reported their efficiency/range estimates returning to normal after a few days of driving/charging.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had mine done last Saturday and didn't see anything like this. If anything, the range might be slightly better but, it is so close to "no change" that I really can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just viewed a YouTube livestream from Transport Evolved after she just had the update at the dealership. She described some odd behavior of the GOM as she returned from the dealer update. She believes this is likely the car misinterpreting the state of charge following the update (since it is now monitoring the cells slightly differently). She expects that this will sort itself out the next time the battery is fully charged. She intends to update us on this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Noticed something else different since update, after I charged the car the screen did not reset Since Last Charge and still shows what was used in KW and Miles since before charging, used to reset every time I charged car before the update.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Noticed something else different since update, after I charged the car the screen did not reset Since Last Charge and still shows what was used in KW and Miles since before charging, used to reset every time I charged car before the update.

Oh good ... I am booked to do my updates this Friday, which is the 13th, so I am getting ready for three new bugs for each removed one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2018 Bolt Premier. 2018 Bolts apparently have this battery management software update already? Since I bought the Bolt in February, the local temperatures have been 30-40F. So I've been getting only 2.5 to 3 mi/kwh unless I drive for 20-30 miles and the battery warms up a bit, then i get 4 or so. I've been thinking my lo efficiency has been just because it is cold where i live. I don't really commute so far so I've got plenty of range. I am waiting to see what the efficiency once it is 60+F outside.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yep, bizarre readings after recall update..

Took 2017 Bolt LT in Monday AM for recall update. 2.5 hours later, I am driving the 20 miles or so back to my house from the dealer, and OMG the average milesKw starts dropping from 4.1 to 1.6. The battery charge appeared full, as if the dealer charged it up, and the center figure on GOM drops 35-40 miles in about 5-6 miles. I pull over to side country road, and cruise at 35 mph, and the usage values show what I have come to expect, about 5kW. I mused for a moment that it had been put on dynamometer, but the odometer did not show any usage. I turned the engine off at a stop sign, restarted and drove home. Arrived home and found the charging details had been changed. So I reentered hill-top at home, with delayed charge until 10PM, and had a couple glasses of wine.

Next day, drove 145 miles round trip, mix of freeway and country roads, got 4.1 miles/kW, and the GOM was more normal. The Youtube video from Livestream in the above post describes the result I experienced immediately after the recall update. Now, 2 days later, all is well. Except, my software is still version 13.4.0, and indicates that it is the latest available.

Bottom line, expect bizarre readings from some of the indicators, but the usage reading, being the only instantaneous information, is the most correct. All the other information is delayed information (GOM & avg efficiency) and will be bizarre.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just so everyone is on the same page, this is a joke; "slight burning rubber smell". The OP is burning rubber on the race home. This is a joke, right?

BTW, I'm a firm believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
No I did smell something that did smell like burning rubber for most of the trip, could have been something outside but the way the mileage on the meter was going down 1 mile every 20-30 seconds and the amount of KW used who knows. Gonna take it for a ride today. Going to the dealer used 5.1 kw and coming home same speeds, traffic etc used 14.1 kw

·
Registered
447 Posts
Took 2017 Bolt LT in Monday AM for recall update. 2.5 hours later, I am driving the 20 miles or so back to my house from the dealer, and OMG the average milesKw starts dropping from 4.1 to 1.6. The battery charge appeared full, as if the dealer charged it up, and the center figure on GOM drops 35-40 miles in about 5-6 miles. I pull over to side country road, and cruise at 35 mph, and the usage values show what I have come to expect, about 5kW. I mused for a moment that it had been put on dynamometer, but the odometer did not show any usage. I turned the engine off at a stop sign, restarted and drove home. Arrived home and found the charging details had been changed. So I reentered hill-top at home, with delayed charge until 10PM, and had a couple glasses of wine.

Next day, drove 145 miles round trip, mix of freeway and country roads, got 4.1 miles/kW, and the GOM was more normal. The Youtube video from Livestream in the above post describes the result I experienced immediately after the recall update. Now, 2 days later, all is well. Except, my software is still version 13.4.0, and indicates that it is the latest available.

Bottom line, expect bizarre readings from some of the indicators, but the usage reading, being the only instantaneous information, is the most correct. All the other information is delayed information (GOM & avg efficiency) and will be bizarre.
I think they didn't do the Radio update, just battery mgmt. Radio should be 14.5.0 if they apply the latest. You can download and update to 14.4.2 using a USB drive using instructions on another post in here and a download from Elektric. It has also been said elsewhere in this forum but there are a plethora of modules in the vehicle - updating one does not update all. The common version we see when doing Software Update\Check for Update is the Radio/Infotainment version...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just had mine done this morning and experienced similar behavior. From what I can tell, the issue is a result of the miles traveled since last full charge being reset to 0, but the kWh used since last full charge remains the same (saw this on the home screen). Therefore, the calculation is wrong. After a full charge everything is back to normal.

One other thing I noticed is that the Energy Settings appear to get reset to the defaults. Therefore, if you use Hilltop Reserve, Location-based charging, etc. they will need to be reconfigured.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
One other thing I noticed is that the Energy Settings appear to get reset to the defaults. Therefore, if you use Hilltop Reserve, Location-based charging, etc. they will need to be reconfigured.
Good info, makes sense, I would think that the procedure for performing the update would include for the technician to record all the drivers customized settings and re-enter them when the update is complete but even if that is the procedure the technician may not have bothered.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good info, makes sense, I would think that the procedure for performing the update would include for the technician to record all the drivers customized settings and re-enter them when the update is complete but even if that is the procedure the technician may not have bothered.
Actually, the software developers for the Bolt just need to catch up to where pretty much everyone else in the general information technology industry is, which is preserving user-configurable settings even after a software update. (E.g. When did you ever have to re-enter settings on a smartphone after a software update, assuming the install went successfully?)

FYI, my Bolt was also just updated with the Loss of Propulsion High Voltage Battery Without Notification program (GM Program #: N172127150), and is showing expected miles per kWh based on my normal driving style. However, I am a little disappointed that the historic data was lost. I’ve not reset the trip on it since buying it with 22 miles on the odometer, and after almost 12,000 miles the average miles/kWh for trip was 4.2. But after the update only indicated 3.3. ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just had mine done today. I took pictures of stuff to verify and yes the battery module update does at least partially reset your drive history. It took me about 2 hours’ worth of driving before the range guestimation system and the efficiency rating started to normalize to my usual driving habits. Other than that there have been no changes other than having to also reset my climate control settings. I would not expect any more changes as all they did (at least how it was advertised) was add a safety feature to the charge control monitor system protocol to give you a heads up of a cell under voltage BEFORE you are stuck out on the middle of the freeway. If you are an unlucky bolt owner with this problem. At least it will now be less likely to strike while you are in the middle of nowhere. The other update is purely patches for the infotainment system. I have not had a chance yet to check on the video playback changes.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Actually, the software developers for the Bolt just need to catch up to where pretty much everyone else in the general information technology industry is, which is preserving user-configurable settings even after a software update. (E.g. When did you ever have to re-enter settings on a smartphone after a software update, assuming the install went successfully?)

FYI, my Bolt was also just updated with the Loss of Propulsion High Voltage Battery Without Notification program (GM Program #: N172127150), and is showing expected miles per kWh based on my normal driving style. However, I am a little disappointed that the historic data was lost. I’ve not reset the trip on it since buying it with 22 miles on the odometer, and after almost 12,000 miles the average miles/kWh for trip was 4.2. But after the update only indicated 3.3. ?
"When did you ever have to re-enter settings on a smartphone after a software update, assuming the install went successfully?"

With LinkedIn...every **** time. I'd turn off all notifications (e-mail, text, push), and their near-weekly app updates would turn them all back on. Repeatedly, for months. I got so tired of their obvious attempts to self-advertise at the expense of my notification desires that I deleted the app and no longer use it. :mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
"When did you ever have to re-enter settings on a smartphone after a software update, assuming the install went successfully?"

With LinkedIn...every **** time. I'd turn off all notifications (e-mail, text, push), and their near-weekly app updates would turn them all back on. Repeatedly, for months. I got so tired of their obvious attempts to self-advertise at the expense of my notification desires that I deleted the app and no longer use it. :mad::mad:
Yep. Depends on the developers. Sometimes the method of saving user preferences is not robust (e.g., a straight memory dump, huge gaping security hole) so a quick fix is just to wipe away the old settings and rebuild them. It's more for the developer's versus the user's convenience.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts