Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
How is this thread at ~150 posts? It was shown early on in the thread that the OP had no patience to see if the issue went away after charging, and people quickly figured out what caused it in the first place.

Well if they knew to do that then I'm sure they would. The problem is that they don't know.
The problem is that some people aren't patient enough to try anything to correct the issue. It seems reasonable to expect certain memory values to get reset during a firmware upgrade, somewhat similar to certain values getting reset when the 12v battery is disconnected.

For some reason I thought of this when I first read this thread:

·
Registered
3 Posts
So after my first full charge post update I got in the car this morning with a range of 271. After 32 miles of combo city/hwy driving my indicated range is 258 with a 5.4mi./kWh efficiency. These are new highs for my Bolt. All i can say is I like the update!

·
Registered
98 Posts
A few weeks ago I took my Bolt to the dealer to swap the snow tires and do the recalls. When I picked the car up, they had swapped the tires, told me the powertrain upgrade had been done, and told me the radio update hadn't been done because their technician wasn't available. I'd have to have the radio update done later. I was expecting to see weirdness with the consumption, but it was totally normal. Since then I did an OTA radio update. Now when I check for recalls in the myChevrolet app, the radio recall is nowhere to be seen, the wiper recall is still listed, and "Reprogram hybrid powertrain control module 2" is listed as incomplete. Is this a second powertrain recall or was it never done? Is there a way to tell from the car if the recall was done?

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
The problem is that some people aren't patient enough to try anything to correct the issue. It seems reasonable to expect certain memory values to get reset during a firmware upgrade, somewhat similar to certain values getting reset when the 12v battery is disconnected.
I'm willing to cut people a little slack when they see the estimated range dropping precipitously in their electric vehicle right after having it serviced. All we EV owners, technical or otherwise, know that when the estimated range goes to "0" we are SOL, so it's a pretty big red flag to see it heading in that direction a lot faster than it should be.

If anything, I think part of GM's service plan for the update should include advising customers that they can expect the range display to act strangely until the next full charge cycle.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Shoot ... even I know to put at least 9v power into the aux power port when disco'ing the 12v battery. Saves all kinds of settings, majorly the radio presets and computer.
I had the big update done today,btw, no adverse issues.

How is this thread at ~150 posts? It was shown early on in the thread that the OP had no patience to see if the issue went away after charging, and people quickly figured out what caused it in the first place.

Well if they knew to do that then I'm sure they would. The problem is that they don't know.

For some reason I thought of this when I first read this thread:

·
Registered
31 Posts
"It's an ELECTRIC LEATHER RACING COUCH. It plays you and up to 3 friends 200 channels of MUSIC from SPACE in AIR CONDITIONING while carrying you all 240 MILES-- which may be further than your grandparents EVER WERE FROM HOME-- while connecting you to THE SUM TOTAL OF HUMAN KNOWLEDGE-- and you're STILL complaining."

·
Registered
442 Posts
Leave it to a comedian to give us all a good reality check!! Right on, Louie! And wattsup!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got the same problem! Chevy service says they are at the mercy of the software engineers and they only do what they are told. I am so frustrated. After 2 recall updates infotainment and safety I have not gotten a full charge yet. I am stuck with no one to escalate to. Chevy 800 number customer service takes the customer 4 minutes to get through the VRU and only then can they create a record for you. How is that helpful? I need an escalation path which no one yet can tell me what that is. Anyone else having these issues? I love my Bolt but the service quotient is tainting that opinion very quickly.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
After 2 recall updates infotainment and safety I have not gotten a full charge yet.
Just remember that a "full charge" is indicated by having twenty lighter and darker green bars lit up on the left side of the instrument cluster. The estimate range is not an indication of how charged the battery is, it's just an educated guess on how far you can drive based on a lot of fudge factors.

·
Registered
698 Posts
After 2 recall updates infotainment and safety I have not gotten a full charge yet.
Just to make sure, how about checking if the "hilltop reserve" setting is on? If that's off and the charge level bar on the left of the screen still doesn't go to the top after what you think is a full charging session, then something might be wrong.

·
Registered
245 Posts
<<The estimate range is not an indication of how charged the battery is, it's just an educated guess on how far you can drive based on a lot of fudge factors.>>

I have found it useful to guesstimate a worst-case range independent of the GOM, using % charge from the MyChevy app (1% resolution) or whatever. A quick mental calc is to double the % charge. Eg, 20% is a min. range of 40 miles. This assumes 100% = 200 miles, which is 3.3 miles/kWh. Of course if you might see worst than 3.3, adjust accordingly, but where I live [Boston], I never see an avg of lower than that for extended periods.

This is very helpful when you get down below 15%. And really really helpful when you [gawd forbid] get below 5% where the GOM stops giving you a range. No, I don't go there on purpose, but if I need to at least I know what kind of trouble I'm in... If you don't have an app handy, you can use the infotainment thing to know % charge when 10% and lower by setting the "power down" % to 10, then 8, then 6, .....

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Watch video, maybe best not to get the update unless you really charge in cold climate.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Thanks, did a quick search and found this image. Seems it's the same thing we're hearing on the forum about people suddenly losing range with no change in driving/charging behavior.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Query: How does one even find a nearly 2 year old thread, abandoned since comment #152 on July, 25, 2018, to which to add a new comment?
Search function, really useful. :)

Reactions: Digi and Entropy512

·
Registered
521 Posts
Better than a hundred threads asking the same question because the new poster is essentially too lazy to search Or gave up after 5 minutes of barely trying.

141 - 158 of 158 Posts