Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Battery too cold, plug in to warm" message
Supposedly the bolt will not start with this message displayed until the high voltage battery warms up enough. Does anyone know how cold the battery needs to get before this message is displayed and the car will not start without plugging it in to pre-condition the battery to warm it up?
Hypothetically - if you were in the Antarctic and you shut off your car without plugging it in, how cold would it need to get before your car wont start?

·
Registered
75 Posts
"Battery too cold, plug in to warm" message
Supposedly the bolt will not start with this message displayed until the high voltage battery warms up enough. Does anyone know how cold the battery needs to get before this message is displayed and the car will not start without plugging it in to pre-condition the battery to warm it up?
Hypothetically - if you were in the Antarctic and you shut off your car without plugging it in, how cold would it need to get before your car wont start?
never happened.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I believe it is around -30 F when a battery stops working. No damage but it's just a lump until it gets back into an operating range. But if the pack is above 40% SOC it can warm itself. That's why you get the alert at 0 F to keep the Bolt plugged in while not in use. It's about the same on a fast charger apparently and for a while the battery has to gain some warmth before it will begin charging. Just a chemistry thing and it applies to all brands of EV's. If my buyback drags into Jan-Feb I'll need to leave it plugged in 24x7 against GM's guidance, although Chicago winter this year is supposed to be slightly warmer than typical.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just referring to page 135 of the owners manual where it talks about this message but never mentions what temperature this message would come on. Im sure **** would have to freeze over first, but i was just curious. Thanks all

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,455 Posts
I believe it is around -30 F when a battery stops working.
But if the pack is above 40% SOC it can warm itself. That's why you get the alert at 0 F to keep the Bolt plugged in while not in use....
If my buyback drags into Jan-Feb I'll need to leave it plugged in 24x7 against GM's guidance, although Chicago winter this year is supposed to be slightly warmer than typical.
Now this^ is a very good point!(y)
The dead of winter is on the way.
When plugged in the pack is kept at a slightly warmer temp than allowing the unplugged pack to warm itself, (and only when above 40% SOC), correct?

We need more vague guidance from gm on this subject. :cautious:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mine sits outside, it's charger is outside, and I'll leave it plugged in overnight. I'd much rather heat up the cabin area on grid power, especially during that initial warmup when the heating system is drawing 7.5kw to heat up its element to heat up the coolant to heat up the cabin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts