Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Bolt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three weeks ago parked in the driveway with 145 km range left. Two hours later got in the car and it had 10 km left and would not accept a level two charge. It has been in the dealer since and now word on why the complete battery failure. Now have got GM Canada head office involved. Has anyone else had this type of failure. Any answers?
Bob

·
Registered
78 Posts
Three weeks ago parked in the driveway with 145 km range left. Two hours later got in the car and it had 10 km left and would not accept a level two charge. It has been in the dealer since and now word on why the complete battery failure. Now have got GM Canada head office involved. Has anyone else had this type of failure. Any answers?
Bob
there are so many irregular problems that occur with low 12v battery, that you should always try charging the small 12v battery first, before assuming the worst of the big battery.

GJETSON reply on a diff thread reminded me, that disconnecting the 12v battery for 10 minutes and reconnecting, is another diagnostic, along with getting the 12v tested at an auto parts store.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not that dramatic but my mother had a battery failure on a 2020 after about 8 months of ownership.
Total capacity dropped 50%.
Battery was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Bob
Happened to me back in July. Put my 2019 to bed one night with 310 miles showing on the GOM. Awoke in the AM the DIC was showing "Battery Fault - Vehicle won't restart"! Noticed on the GOM that available miles were now down to 15! Hauled it to the dealer who literally kept it for the next 90 days (with a suitable rental) Gm paid for. Dealer called to say come pick up your car, the one with the new battery on October 29. Been driving fine ever since. During the "down" time I applied, via the Chevrolet Concierge, for the MSRP Swap and was approved. Picked out a 2021 Bolt Premium and as the paperwork was being generated GM put out a "Stop Sales" order on ALL Bolts. What's a boy to do, except wait. I continue to wait, although I have been advised that a new Cherry Red 2022 has been approved for me to Swap. I expect the transaction to be completed next week. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2021Bolt
349 Posts
If somones (2017) battery mileage warranty ends and dies, I wonder if they still get the new recall battery

·
Registered
2018 Bolt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update on 2018 Bolt Total Battery Failure on 18 Dec 2021. After dealing with dealer for three weeks then GM Canada head office for a week we got our 2018 Bolt back today. Dealer found battery cell 96 total failure so they moved us to the top of the replacement list. New battery with increased range and a new 8 year/160,000 km warranty (so we are good to Jan 2030 or 191,741 km). Thanks GM

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
11,139 Posts
Update on 2018 Bolt Total Battery Failure on 18 Dec 2021.
Curious if you had gotten the latest battery software patch, that limits charge to 80%, recently? There have been several Bolts that experienced the same failure shortly after this update. Lots of speculation about the new software having picked up the failed cell.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We were scheduled for the latest patch on 10 Jan but the battery failed before that on 18 Dec. We had activated the Hill Start Assist mode which limited the car to 90% charge some 6 months ago. so no problem on that front.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there are so many irregular problems that occur with low 12v battery, that you should always try charging the small 12v battery first, before assuming the worst of the big battery.

GJETSON reply on a diff thread reminded me, that disconnecting the 12v battery for 10 minutes and reconnecting, is another diagnostic, along with getting the 12v tested at an auto parts store.
The on board system is supposed to check the 12 V battery and keep it topped up from the main HV battery. Before charging (disconnect it first) I would check the voltage and charge state. In my case it was the main HV battery; the 12V was fully charged and able to run the computer, displays and accessories.

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
11,139 Posts
We were scheduled for the latest patch on 10 Jan but the battery failed before that on 18 Dec. We had activated the Hill Start Assist mode which limited the car to 90% charge some 6 months ago. so no problem on that front.
Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts