Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a fair amount of press about the Bolt EV battery degradation warranty. I thought it would be useful to compare the warranties of all the currently available BEV's.
Does the Bolt have the best warranty? No. But it is better than most.

In reality, most users will never get anywhere near the "worst case" degradation that would result in a battery replacement. While I wish that GM had used the emerging "industry standard" 70%, I applaud them for putting a hard number on it that people can use to compare and not refuse to cover it at all.

This info was obtained from owners manuals and/or manufacturer websites.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Oh wow, didn't think Tesla of all companies wouldn't have warranty when it comes to battery degradation. The Kia Soul seems to have the best warranty out there, would be nice if that was to become an industry standard because 70% after 10 years is great charge retention.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Kia is known for their boxes on wheels, it's a design that you either like or you don't. I'm the latter and I have no idea why people would want a tiny box, it isn't that spacious on the inside either.

I know that the bolt has 100k miles on their warranty too, but I don't drive that far within 8 years. Would be nice if they gave me two more years, heck my gas car is almost 10 years old and I still haven't hit 100k.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Don't worry about something that hasn't even begun selling! Look at the Chevy Volt as the best example. The Volt completed six years of sales this week, and not one Volt has lost any capacity. It is obvious that the Volt's battery is pampered better and has a safe charge buffer which the normal driver will never use. But this complies with GM's warranty. Some Volts have passed 100,000 miles (search Voltstats.com) and their battery still holds a complete charge as if it was new. Of over 120,000 Chevy Volts sold, no one has any battery loss.:D

Since LG Chemical supplies the cells for the Volt and the Bolt EV, their life span will be almost the same (maybe the Bolt EV is better being newer). GM is known for under promising and over delivering, so I trust GM and LG completely, and I can safely bet that its battery will last more than ten years or 100,000 miles with less or no charge losses.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The only manufacturer I've ever heard of that had to replace batteries due to extreme degradation was the 2011-2012 Leaf. This may have been teething pains or being one of the first mass produced EV's. Within two years they tweaked the chemistry and seems to have fixed it. I would be surprised if ANY EV battery produced today will degrade to the 70% point in 8 yrs/100k. I wouldn't worry about it. In 8 years, if the body is still good, the price of a new pack may be less than $5k. Not much goes wrong with these things. I plan on using my Leaf battery as a Powerwall when it gets to 60%.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like the power wall idea! But I would be surprised if there will be any, full mileage, 8 year old Bolt that will hold a 70 % charge. But adding those old batteries to my powerwall, makes a lot of sense!

... I would be surprised if ANY EV battery produced today will degrade to the 70% point in 8 yrs/100k. I wouldn't worry about it. In 8 years, if the body is still good, the price of a new pack may be less than $5k. Not much goes wrong with these things. I plan on using my Leaf battery as a Powerwall when it gets to 60%.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Bump on discussion about battery warranty since the question was asked this week.

... BTW, looks like Tesla updated their battery warranty.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yep on the changes to Tesla's battery warranties. Who put that original table together? Would've been nice if they got their units right.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's illuminating to see where the companies put their money on declared warranties. Any company that works under GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Practices) is required to reserve a portion of sales to cover their declared warranty. Public companies such as Tesla and GM will show their annual spend on reserves as well as new reserves due to annual sales.

Taking the last Tesla (2018) and GM (2018) 10-K reports show the following:

• Tesla--New warranty reserves on $18.51 billion in vehicle sales and leases: $544.3 million =2.9% over the declared warranty life of the vehicle with battery.
    • Actual warranty costs in 2018 for all vehicles under warranty: 1.1%
  • GM--New warranty reserves (North America) on $113.7 billion in sales, new and recertified vehicles: $2.14 billion= 1.9% over the declared warranty lifeof all vehicles in GM's sales.
    • Actual warranty spend in 2018 for all vehicles under warranty: 1.5%
Some takeaways:

• It's always good to under-promise and over-deliver. Whether this means the companies are manipulating warranty clauses to avoid payout or over-designing reliable vehicles is a point of debate.
  • If you are the engineering director for a new platform at GM, a career limiting move would be to allow a reliability defect into the design. Even though the Bolt EV is only about 0.4% of GM sales, engineers do not want to be the goat.
  • The warranties are probably legal 'backstops' to avoid assumed disasters (like batteries failing at 18 months).
  • In fact, EVs are remarkably reliable vehicles. As a reference, Ford shifting out of sedans to trucks and SUV raised their warranty accrual to 4% of North America sales (2018 10-K).
  • It's probable that only very few drivers will ever get to use the 100k mile battery warranty, and if so, the manufacturers will mitigate their losses by lower cost repairs (using refurbished batteries Battery replacement) or swapping out bad cell packs versus a fully new battery.

·
Registered
698 Posts
i-MiEV is 10 years or 100k miles I am pretty sure as it was upgraded on my 2012 when the 2014 came out.
I'm not going to look it up as I don't care right now but I have not heard of one that had degradation , very few replaced that I know of.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts