Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I’ve owned a 2017 Chevy bolt for 4 years and this is my first long distance drive with hotel stay. I am going from Saratoga, CA to Sammamish, WA a distance of 863m/1388km along I-5 corridor. I’ve read through the postings here, learned what I can and wanted to see if there was any feedback on my plan.

Plan:
Leaving end of March. Specific date not yet determined.
Saratoga to Grants Pass 9hr 51m, 4 stops according to ABRP. Stay overnight.
Leaving Saratoga 100% SoC.
Paying attention to the weather to avoid any snow conditions.
Checking out status of chargers to be used prior to departure to avoid surprises.
A conservative 20% SoC arrival at charging waypoints. As it’s my first long trip, I’m a bit nervous.
Just me in car, no added weight.
Carrying a long (50’) extension cord should I need to use level 1 charging.

Choosing Grants Pass because:

• It is about 1/2 way and I don’t want or need to drive for more than 10hrs
  • There are 7 chargers in Grants Pass should any particular charger be unavailable, there are backup chargers nearby. Having redundancy built into a trip plan is a good learning from this forum.
  • There are 3 hotels in Grants Pass according to Plugshare that have j1772 chargers
  • With in few miles there is a Fred Meyers and a Walmart both with Fastchargers should it be necessary.

I’m not familiar with staying overnight at a hotel with a charger. I think my most important question is whether to book a reservation at the hotel in advance. Or, should I drive to the hotel, see if there is a charger free, plug in and then go to lobby desk and reserve. The point of my choosing a hotel is to have the opportunity to charge overnight. As there are three hotels with chargers, I should be able to find one. My guess is that the chargers are first come first serve. I wouldn’t want to make a reservation, find out the charger units are unavailable and then be forced to stay at the hotel when down the block there might be an alternative. How do people recommend to approach the hotel/charger planning?

Leaving Grants Pass with 100% charge,

From Grants Pass to Sammamish, WA 9hr 57m in 4 recharge stops.
Arriving with 20% SoC

Apps
Plugshare
ABRT (premier)
Chargepoint, EVGO, Electrify America
and a recent discover to make searching for hotels more accessible (although the link looks like only a link to Plugshare, it takes you right to the lodging search feature of PS).

Thanks and thanks for the informative comments in the forum.

·
Administrator
2,949 Posts
In the COVID era, travel is lighter than normal, so unlikely hotels will be booked.

Some hotels may not leave L2 chargers energized, so you may have to check in and ask them to turn them on. And yes, 1st come, 1st served. Also, expect these chargers to remain unavailable overnight, people will tend to plug in when they arrive, unplug when they leave.

If the chargers are networked (Chargepoint, etc), there may be idle fees, so do your research. But this also means there is a chance they may become available at some point in the late evening when current owners finish charging.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob,
Thanks for these insights. So, does one make reservations (for a room not the charger just to be clear) in advance and hope for the best, or if the chargers are unavailable, is cancellation free so that I can look for other choices? I imagine the answer is 'it depends'. I am guessing I'd have to call the hotel to find out how they handle this scenario.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
2,949 Posts
Rob,
Thanks for these insights. So, does one make reservations (for a room not the charger just to be clear) in advance and hope for the best, or if the chargers are unavailable, is cancellation free so that I can look for other choices? I imagine the answer is 'it depends'. I am guessing I'd have to call the hotel to find out how they handle this scenario.
Thanks.
Do you make a reservation to use the hot tub at hotels? If it is unavailable, can you cancel without penalty?

It is viewed as just another on site amenity, many desk clerks don't know the first thing about the chargers, some may not even know that they have them.

There are reservations (automatically cancel at 6PM typically), or guaranteed reservations backed by your CC. If you fear room availability, use guaranteed. If you suspect rooms will be plentiful, don't guarantee the reservation and simply check in elsewhere when you get there if no plugs available. If the hotel is not busy, they will keep your un-guaranteed reservation all night, but won't charge you unless you check in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Always the option to plug in at a paid L2 and just sleep in your car. :)
Yep, I'll have the sleeping bag in the car. Interestingly, a number of folks on the board have said that the experience of driving long distances in an EV is not as exhausting as an ICE vehicle. Not sure I'm up to a 20hr drive so don't think I'll push that boundary.

·
Administrator
2,949 Posts
Thanks for making me laugh at myself and putting things into perspective. You are absolutely right.
Don't we all make reservations for the hot tub?
thanks.
Glad you took that as intended.

Best wishes for your upcoming trip.

BTW, Rivian is planning a reservation mechanism for their DC network, and ChargePoint offers a waitlist option. Otherwise, public chargers tend to be FCFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Yep, I'll have the sleeping bag in the car. Interestingly, a number of folks on the board have said that the experience of driving long distances in an EV is not as exhausting as an ICE vehicle. Not sure I'm up to a 20hr drive so don't think I'll push that boundary.
Did that last November in my 2017. 876 miles in one day. Technically after midnight at my destination because of the time zone change. Left at 4:00 AM. Used 10% state of charge at each charging waypoint. Was my first long distance trip that required charging away from home. I'm sure you'll have fun.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I wouldn't do a 20 hour drive unless you are one of those people who can sleep anywhere... if that is the case, you can sleep 6 or 8 hours by sleeping at your charging stops. I can't do this so I don't do more than 600 miles in a normal day of driving.

You will find that you are much more refreshed after 10 hours on the road in the Bolt than you would be in an ICE car though.

As far as hotel charging goes, I have never gotten screwed when stopping for the night. It could just be luck, but I am doubly covered because I have a Tesla adapter. I reserve ahead of time because you typically get a better rate than if you just walk up to the desk.

Keith

·
Registered
590 Posts
As far as hotel charging goes, I have never gotten screwed when stopping for the night. It could just be luck, but I am doubly covered because I have a Tesla adapter. I reserve ahead of time because you typically get a better rate than if you just walk up to the desk.

Keith
Curious about a Tesla charger to J1772 adapter. I see this one on AMZN:

It says not compatible with the Tesla Superchargers. With Tesla's standard 240v chargers how does a Bolt owner gain access? Anyone with a credit card can do so?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,371 Posts

It says not compatible with the Tesla Superchargers. With Tesla's standard 240v chargers how does a Bolt owner gain access? Anyone with a credit card can do so?
I believe the Superchargers (level 3 fast charging) have a special electronic handshake to authorize charging. The adapter would work for Tesla destination chargers (level 2 chargers installed in some hotels, etc.), that don't have any authentication / authorization. I don't believe there's a cost for using the destination chargers, unless the hotel charges for access.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts

Lowes online carries the Lectron Tesla to J-1772 adapter for $160.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Amazing in PlugShare to see all the Tesla destination chargers at all the wineries in the Napa Valley. Appears the valley has the biggest cluster of them in the whole state.

I counted around 68 destination chargers in the Napa Valley, and maybe 15 in all of Silicon Valley.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Looking at PlugShare, there seems to be no charging stations between Sparks, NV and Elko, NV, which is 289 miles. Not a Supercharger, not a J1772 to be found. This splits up the country on I-80 for all entry level EV users. The next longest run is Wells, NV to Salt Lake City, around 184 miles.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I believe the Superchargers (level 3 fast charging) have a special electronic handshake to authorize charging. The adapter would work for Tesla destination chargers (level 2 chargers installed in some hotels, etc.), that don't have any authentication / authorization. I don't believe there's a cost for using the destination chargers, unless the hotel charges for access.
Correct, on Superchargers.

However, gen 3 wall connectors have wi-fi in preparation for the below:

Ones before gen 3 have no connectivity. (We have some pre-gen 3 WCs at my work.)

Can point to installations manuals for each of them later tonight.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
1,177 Posts
Ummm someone is telling you a whopper...

You'll be more stressed ..even though you know the next Charger is "just" 20 miles ahead ..in the back of your mind you'll be wondering if it "really" is working (despite what plugshare may say) and so you have a backup charger in mind...but again in the back of your mind .." hoping that one is working".

Depending on weather including wind ..you may need to stop and charge every couple of hours .. and then when you do charge you can "fill up" you can only charge to 80% otherwise you'll spend more time charging than driving

You'll discover no restrooms no food at the places you WANT to charge at (getting better though) or that you need to walk a couple of blocks to get to the restroom /food.. not a big deal ..except its 20 degrees out with a 20-mile hour wind coming out of the North

Make no mistake ..taking long-distance trips in an EV is FUN ! :unsure: 😁

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

Tesla Superchargers are set up to identify a vehicle when it plugs in and charge the appropriate account the fee for charging... they have not made a CCS adaptor and do not authorize anything but Tesla vehicles on the Supercharger network.

Tesla 240V chargers are all free, no credit card required (at least all of them that I have encountered are free), you gain access by plugging the Tesla cord into the adapter, and plugging the adapter into your J1772 socket.

Keith

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Tesla Superchargers are set up to identify a vehicle when it plugs in and charge the appropriate account the fee for charging... they have not made a CCS adaptor and do not authorize anything but Tesla vehicles on the Supercharger network.

Tesla 240V chargers are all free, no credit card required (at least all of them that I have encountered are free), you gain access by plugging the Tesla cord into the adapter, and plugging the adapter into your J1772 socket.

Keith
Watch out for Gen 3 Destination Charger though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts