Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a brand bolt waiting for me in vancouver but trying to clear info on the program is a big pain in the button.
Has any else tried it and has had a good experience with it.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
281 Posts
I did it last year when I got my Bolt. There were a few hoops to jump through for sure. I'll try to find a link to that thread, it talked about the steps involved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FYI - I dug into this recently and there are a lot of rules:
  • There are only 2500 incentives offered per year. Usually runs out by August or September.
  • It's been going on since 1996 but there is no guarantee it will be available next year.
  • Need to buy from a dealer accredited with the program. Not sure if these dealers will just jack up their prices if they catch a whiff of you being interested in scrap-it.
  • Only 250 incentives for used vehicles. Incentives are halved for used. And remember they can only be bought from certain dealers. No EV can be elligible for a scrap-it incentive twice so check carefully to ensure that a used EV has not had a scrap-it incentive already.
  • The car you bring for scrap needs to be insured for six months prior to application. And it has to be intact (can't strip it to sell parts). Scrap-it is aware that anyone with a brain will just buy a total POS for the scrap-it program so I expect the rules will tighten in the future.
  • FYI - this is not a government program. It's financed by some super-secret guy who they won't name. So probably financed by the car dealers themselves to lure in prospective buyers.
  • And there are more rules. And more. Just check their website.
Yes, I am cynical. But I am also looking out for that total POS car with enough good parts to strip and sell off if scrap-it is a bust for me, lol. Either way it will take one ICE car off the road.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
281 Posts
FYI - I dug into this recently and there are a lot of rules:
  • There are only 2500 incentives offered per year. Usually runs out by August or September.
  • It's been going on since 1996 but there is no guarantee it will be available next year.
  • Need to buy from a dealer accredited with the program. Not sure if these dealers will just jack up their prices if they catch a whiff of you being interested in scrap-it.
  • Only 250 incentives for used vehicles. Incentives are halved for used. And remember they can only be bought from certain dealers. No EV can be elligible for a scrap-it incentive twice so check carefully to ensure that a used EV has not had a scrap-it incentive already.
  • The car you bring for scrap needs to be insured for six months prior to application. And it has to be intact (can't strip it to sell parts). Scrap-it is aware that anyone with a brain will just buy a total POS for the scrap-it program so I expect the rules will tighten in the future.
  • FYI - this is not a government program. It's financed by some super-secret guy who they won't name. So probably financed by the car dealers themselves to lure in prospective buyers.
  • And there are more rules. And more. Just check their website.
Yes, I am cynical. But I am also looking out for that total POS car with enough good parts to strip and sell off if scrap-it is a bust for me, lol. Either way it will take one ICE car off the road.
Yup, that's pretty much all the details. When I bought my '17 Bolt and "scrapped" my '03 focus you simply bought an eligible car then applied for a rebate afterward, and hopefully there were allocations left in the pool to draw from. In the past could years the process has changed and allocations are matched to cars in dealer inventory ahead of time, so if you want to take advantage of a Scrap-It rebate you'll need to buy a car that has an allocation attached to it. The price for the dealer is the same, they make the same money either way, but you get a cheque if you buy a car carrying an allocation. When I handed over my car it wasn't stripped, but I did pull off pretty much anything that I could get decent resale for, some of which I replaced with junker parts so I could drive it there. Spoiler, stereo, I pulled and left off, I pulled my nice aftermarket wheels etc. but replaced them with junker wheels and bald tires that I picked up for cheap just so I could drive the car there.

·
Registered
username LT
821 Posts
I thought it was a piece of cake. Of course there are stipulations...it's 6 thousand frickin' bucks. I scrapped a 92 Geo Metro. I bought my Bolt the first day the feds started their rebate and before the province dropped theirs...so 16 thousand dollars thank you very much.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
281 Posts
I thought it was a piece of cake. Of course there are stipulations...it's 6 thousand frickin' bucks. I scrapped a 92 Geo Metro. I bought my Bolt the first day the feds started their rebate and before the province dropped theirs...so 16 thousand dollars thank you very much.
Nicely done, I got $11,000 which I was pretty happy with at the time

·
Registered
username LT
821 Posts
It had been musing an EV for a few years but the range was useless or stupid expensive as in [email protected] Then the Bolt appeared and the province had their $5k. Ok. Still pretty pricy though. Then I learned of the scrap it program and my eye brow went up. Then the feds announced. Alright I'm in. :)
I totally love not buying gas all the friggin time. And then for the car to be a little rocket was a delightful surprise.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Back in 2017 when I was planning to buy my Bolt I looked into buying a beater for $1000-1500 that I could scrap for the incentive. But between the vagaries of when the available funds would run out and the extreme paucity of Bolts that were available in the colour and with the options I wanted I ended up forgoing it. I think the supply of Bolts is a lot better now, so if you plan ahead you've got a better chance of success.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We took advantage of the Scrapit program May of last year, no problems.
Junked my wife's 2002 diesel VW Bug, and got a cheque from the BC Gov a month later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for your replies. One other thought: if you are buying an EV for the sake of the environment remember that adding an EV to the planet's vehicle fleet does not really help. What makes the difference is removing one ICE car from the fleet. So in that regard the scrap it program is effective and we are fortunate to have it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for your replies. One other thought: if you are buying an EV for the sake of the environment remember that adding an EV to the planet's vehicle fleet does not really help. What makes the difference is removing one ICE car from the fleet. So in that regard the scrap it program is effective and we are fortunate to have it.
Yes in our case one less stinky, smoke belching diesel that was well passed it's best before date.;)

·
Registered
username LT
821 Posts
And yet...we gotta get power for all these EV's from somewhere. Site C is quite a conundrum. Mining the metals, rare earth or otherwise, for all these EV's is troubling. And of course the old saw of how much carbon is spewed in the making of all these EV's. I just got really tired of paying for gas all the time. So I'll keep my head in the sand for all the rest for now.
I scrapped a '92 Geo Metro that consistently got over 50 miles per imperial gallon. But $6k! from the dealers association or whoever (not the government) thank you very much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
And yet...we gotta get power for all these EV's from somewhere. Site C is quite a conundrum. Mining the metals, rare earth or otherwise, for all these EV's is troubling. And of course the old saw of how much carbon is spewed in the making of all these EV's. I just got really tired of paying for gas all the time. So I'll keep my head in the sand for all the rest for now.
I scrapped a '92 Geo Metro that consistently got over 50 miles per imperial gallon. But $6k! from the dealers association or whoever (not the government) thank you very much.
Agreed, Site C is a mess! I look at it this way, The EV in a few short years is forcing auto makers of it's 120+ year ICE addiction.
And the costs associated with a somewhat uncertain supply of raw materials for batteries will likely push new tech pretty quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So the scrap-it program worked for me. I got more than the car was worth. Scrap-it claims that the car will actually be scrapped, not resold for parts. But the scrap yard seemed excited to see the car so I guess they had plans for it. I hope they don't sell the gas burning engine for someone else to pollute with - but I had my own way of preventing the engine from being reused ;)

The program insists that the old car being brought in is "intact", but I think they mean "complete". Still, that didn't stop me from selling off some of the good parts and replacing them with cheap crappy worn out parts to pocket a few extra bucks. The substitutions weren't too obvious and no one seemed to care.

One thing I learned is that each dealer receives only a certain number of scrap-it allocations. So even though there is still money in the scrap-it program an individual dealer cannot help you if their allocations are spoken for. So when you make your offer on the car make sure you insist that it includes a scrap-it allocation or you may be SOL.

The paperwork was easy and scrap-it paid on time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So the scrap-it program worked for me. I got more than the car was worth. Scrap-it claims that the car will actually be scrapped, not resold for parts. But the scrap yard seemed excited to see the car so I guess they had plans for it. I hope they don't sell the gas burning engine for someone else to pollute with - but I had my own way of preventing the engine from being reused ;)

The program insists that the old car being brought in is "intact", but I think they mean "complete". Still, that didn't stop me from selling off some of the good parts and replacing them with cheap crappy worn out parts to pocket a few extra bucks. The substitutions weren't too obvious and no one seemed to care.

One thing I learned is that each dealer receives only a certain number of scrap-it allocations. So even though there is still money in the scrap-it program an individual dealer cannot help you if their allocations are spoken for. So when you make your offer on the car make sure you insist that it includes a scrap-it allocation or you may be SOL.

The paperwork was easy and scrap-it paid on time.
Glad it worked out for you.
About 3 months after we took my wife's diesel VW Bug to the scrap yard, I got a call asking about the condition of it's engine.
Apparently someone blew theirs and the wrecking yard was going to sell our Bug engine to the guy.
So, ya I think there is some hanky panky going on.
You are correct about the dealers getting a certain number or a quota of allocations. We purchased our Bolt a year ago tomorrow and were concerned that the BC government might discontinue the program because of all the money they were pumping into the system because of Covid.
Apparently they didn't. (y)

·
Registered
username LT
821 Posts
@T BONE : I don't think the government funds the scrap-it program. Or at least not all.
I had also assumed the cars would just get crushed. That is some hanky panky if not. Oh well. I got my $6k out of it.
@BC Bolt : I did it the other way around. I loaded up a bunch of spare parts I had pulled off another vehicle just in case. Off it all went.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts