Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have pulled up next to a muscle car and took off like a bat out of **** when the light turned green? hahahaha

I had it happen to me today. A nice Mustang GT pulled up next to me, with his killer sounding exhaust, and I looked over at him and he was beaming with pride as I gave him a thumbs up. The light turned green and I dusted him to 60 mph. LOL I looked in my right mirror and read his lips when I took off... he said "OH SH$#". I couldn't help but laugh.

So who else has a story? I know I'm not the only one.

And this is no knock on muscle cars, I own a very nice 70 Chevelle SS that is my baby but I love seeing people's reaction when they see how quick the Bolt is. :nerd:

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have done it to some people with Tuner Cars and some that think they can jump
past at the light to cut you off for a spot.
It's fun to put them in their place with the silent killer >:) The guys in the Mustangs
are always looking to drag race. It's fun to smack em down a bit :D

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I took a V6 Mustang off the line and easily got to 40 before them. From the sound of their engine it seemed like they were trying to beat me off the line. Speed limit was 45 so they continued to accelerate and overtook me as I stopped accelerating. The look of confusion as they looked at me was hilarious. A prius looking car with no engine noise just took them in a 0 to 40 mph drag race. The guy probably felt he lost his man card after that!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sure it's fun, because most Americans buy horsepower that we will never use. Heck, I had no problem beating people off the line in traffic when I was driving my 86 carbureted Corolla with 70 horsepowers.
So if you catch people by surprise, you'll win for sure, but with a 0-60 of 6.5-7.0, top speed of only 93mph, it is not as fast as many of the luxury SUV's that my rich dentists friends are buying.
It feels fast, but I'm afraid it's really not Tesla fast.

I've timed my 0-60 time with an old G-meter I have from my youth, and it's a 7 to 7.5-second car basically in my average driving and battery condition. The difference from a gas car, say a GTI, is that I don't have to warm up and I can do such sprint almost light to light without worrying my engine will blow up.

Come on, it can't just be me that think the car should be just a little faster. It's quick and adequate, but it's low on the totem pole

·
Registered
724 Posts
While I have not drag raced anyone off the line I HAVE been pissed when tailgated !
I then but a burst of power to get far ahead and hope they get the hint.

Someday I will dust someone, but it would have to be wide open space. There are way too many people getting hit or killed due to fast driving for no reason

·
Registered
89 Posts
While I have not drag raced anyone off the line I HAVE been pissed when tailgated !
I then but a burst of power to get far ahead and hope they get the hint.

Someday I will dust someone, but it would have to be wide open space. There are way too many people getting hit or killed due to fast driving for no reason
Yea, true that. Drivers in front often don't expect how fast you can change lane and just gun it, almost crashed this one time.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I told this story here but I came up to a stop next to a small expensive sports car making lots of noise., not sure what it was. I can't help it but my finger quietly taps the "Sport" button and pow! I'm out of there (he was revving his engine which does it for sure). Behind me I hear a surprised ICE trying to keep up. Not wanting a dangerous situation I held back after the initial smoking and let him go past me, my wife said he was laughing and having a good time too.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
In my part of the country, a yellow light means speed up and run through the intersection! After all, they think, that ICE vehicle on the cross street can’t get there before you are across, so gun it! Even though I can, I don’t jump into the intersection until I look both ways!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I've done it a couple of time too..... :D
It's unfortunate that the stock tires suck and it gets twitchy at max power, it would be even quicker off the line without the front wheel drama going on.

·
Registered
782 Posts
A co worker loved EV acceleration but noted how much he missed and required a well tuned exhaust on high end performance cars...

I told him I agree and I love how they sound in my rear view mirror.

He chuckled and said “well played”

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
My P85D embarrasses many many more costly cars at stop lights - excepting other Tesla’s...the Bolt is fun too!
Thing is most people these days know a Tesla can smoke most cars.
A Chevy "Trax" with a strange grille though? They'll have no clue!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sure it's fun, because most Americans buy horsepower that we will never use. Heck, I had no problem beating people off the line in traffic when I was driving my 86 carbureted Corolla with 70 horsepowers.
So if you catch people by surprise, you'll win for sure, but with a 0-60 of 6.5-7.0, top speed of only 93mph, it is not as fast as many of the luxury SUV's that my rich dentists friends are buying.
It feels fast, but I'm afraid it's really not Tesla fast.

I've timed my 0-60 time with an old G-meter I have from my youth, and it's a 7 to 7.5-second car basically in my average driving and battery condition. The difference from a gas car, say a GTI, is that I don't have to warm up and I can do such sprint almost light to light without worrying my engine will blow up.

Come on, it can't just be me that think the car should be just a little faster. It's quick and adequate, but it's low on the totem pole
Obviously its not as fast as a Ludicris Tesla Model S or X. But it IS as quick (light to light) as most muscle cars out there. My 70 Chevelle SS396 is about a 5 second 0-60 but to me, this FEELS faster and I think its because of how the power is "instance" and the whole acceleration is so smooth.

I'm not saying its the fastest car in the market by any stretch but it WILL absolutely get some attention when you pull up next to a Mustang or Camaro and hand with them from light to light. The Bolt is very unassuming like I said before and no one ever expects that it is as quick as it is.

I just think it's funny.... plus my "gas" is FREE. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts