Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went ahead and got the beefier cargo shield for the cargo area. Here's pics showing before and after.

Before:

After

Attachments

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Installation pics:

You need to remove these covers:

This one you have to pry out:

And this one rotates and pops out:

Carefully cut out the rectangular plastic bits. I recommend doing the top and sides, and then carefully pry the plastic bit towards you so that you can grab it with pliers. This prevents it from falling into the side panel abyss and creating a rattle.

This metal bracket is inserted:

There is a vertical and horizontal orientation:

Attach bracket to side use the screws supplied and voila!

Repeat on other side and you are ready to install the shade like in the original post.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it really that much lighter color than the rest of the interior? Looks like it might reflect in the window.
Yes, it's a lighter gray than the flimsy fabric cover. I haven't noticed any reflection issues yet.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts
Super photos! Thanks for taking the time to document the process... Great results!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Looks great. Sometimes I like to put a tissue box for rear passengers on those shields and on the original one you posted the box would have moved around a lot, here its much more confined.

How did you end up paying?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great. Sometimes I like to put a tissue box for rear passengers on those shields and on the original one you posted the box would have moved around a lot, here its much more confined.

How did you end up paying?
I ended up getting it for free because of reasons I won't go into.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Neat thing about this option is that with the rear view mirror screen in the Premier you don't need the rear view window much. I wonder what the rules are about blocking the rear window? Happens all the time, you'll see it completely blocked, I'll assume the present rules are it needs to be clear, even though you don't need it with the camera.

Anyhow seems like it would be convenient for the back passenger to have a place to store stuff. The security shade back door riser kind of annoys me, I'd prefer having a more permanent setup, and then keep some stuff there like spare clothing.

It comes in Dark Galvanized now, I'll probably get it, along with the black bowties and then I'm done excessorizing.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I think with my putting my bike in the back 1-2 times a week, and storing the shield, this larger one would just be more trouble. Although, the idea of a useable "shelf" is interesting.

·
Registered
592 Posts
With this then you could have a maximum of four levels of storage. I have the tire kit, jumpers, OEM EVSE and other roadside gear in the bottom most. Next up is a portable Level 2, cables, adapters and maybe a spare eventually. Main level is for groceries and whatever I have for that trip. Top would then be coats, hats and misc.

Well thought out considering the upright seat storage size is small, less than the volt.

·
Registered
612 Posts
What is the value of a sturdier shelf? I remember an old Volvo tv ad. Everyone survived a severe crash but a kid's doll launched from an equivalent back shelf shattered the windshield.

Seems to me a cargo cover is useful only to block view of what's beneath it to deter a breakin. Carrying anything that approaches the weight limit of this replacement shelf risks decapitation in a worst-case crash, no?

Is that a dealer option?

·
Registered
592 Posts
What is the value of a sturdier shelf?
Obviously you wouldn't want to put kitchen knives and tools back there. It looks about the same thickness as the false floor which is quite stiff. Volvo ad? With that 'demonstration' I'd think your eyeglasses could fly off and do similar damage. Besides, headrests.

I'm just planning on incidentals.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I guess this is a factory Chevy product? How hard is it to remove? Do you have to fight to get the hinges out? They look like they might fit pretty secure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It comes in Dark Galvanized now, I'll probably get it, along with the black bowties and then I'm done excessorizing.
Where did you find information about dark galvanized? Do you have the part number? I just talked to the parts department at my dealership and they said there is only one color.

I will get one but I prefer the darker gray.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
devbolt: I looked at your initial pictures and did not recognize that the shelf both rests on the installed supports, and is also "lifted" along with the hatch by the two rearward cables. Does this mean you have to empty the shelf every time you open the hatch? If left on the rests, can you reach underneath to retrieve a stored item? I have to admit, I did not notice this at first, thinking it stayed down (and level) until you raised or removed it.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
devbolt: I looked at your initial pictures and did not recognize that the shelf both rests on the installed supports, and is also "lifted" along with the hatch by the two rearward cables. Does this mean you have to empty the shelf every time you open the hatch? If left on the rests, can you reach underneath to retrieve a stored item? I have to admit, I did not notice this at first, thinking it stayed down (and level) until you raised or removed it.
I think you can leave the lifting cords off and it will sit there just fine with whatever you want to pile on there with the hatch open. It's an either/or option I believe.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Regarding what to store there, I've got it - the sun shade when you have passengers. It's annoying to have knocking about, just put it back there safe and snug. Since it's a single long object should be held in place by the head restraints in event of fast deceleration.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts