Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2019 Chevy Bolt with 68,000 kms, which includes a trip to Panama City Beach, Florida from Peterborough, Ontario.

I went to a level 3 charging station. I went to put the pistol end into the charging port and felt a touch of resistance, heard the “click”, to tell me it was connected but, the charge didn’t start. It stated, “the session was cancelled by the car”. I tried it a couple of more times with the same results. I looked at the charging pistol and noticed a groove on the top of one of the pin connectors. Looked in my charge port and one of the small diagnostic pins was bent upwards. After 3 weeks of talks with the charge company, they have determined that, yes, there was damage but that they weren’t at fault. In the meantime, my car was sitting at the dealership for 3 weeks and I was told, the pin couldn’t be fixed (straightened) but the charge port unit could be replaced, at a cost of just over $1300. My car is now home but my home, level 2 charger, won’t connect.

Has anyone else had this issue? I notice there a torx screws in the charge port, I’m assuming, holding the plastic shield surrounding the pins. I’m wondering if, removing these screws will allow me access to the pins and try to straighten the pin myself.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Wow, the DCFC port was a $750 upgrade, so I guess the labor cost to remove/replace is over $550.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Wow, the DCFC port was a $750 upgrade, so I guess the labor cost to remove/replace is over $550.
I understand its a $750 upgrade. But I haven't seen any 2020 Bolts without it. In any states I was shopping back in January. Why not just increase the price and include it?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Need to redesign for a pin-less port ... maybe a set of contact pads where you drop the bottom of the charger head onto some kind of bottom-hinged "receptacle", then pull straight up to push the contact pads together, while also engaging the charger head into a locking mechanism at the top. Might also be a good idea to put a "flip-top" on the head of the charger to protect the pads. You'd pull back the "flip-top" and lock it open prior to attaching to the vehicle.

Pins seem like a very bad idea to me ... unless they're all very heavy duty pins which - from the pictures I've seen online - doesn't appear to be the case.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Which pin is bent?
FWIW- They are not "diagnostic" pins, those are on the OBD2 connector near the steering wheel.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
OK. I am not going to tell anybody else what to do. But if I had a bent communication pin in our charge socket, I would use a needle nose pliers to gently bend it back. Unless it is hardened steel, it should be able to stand re-bending.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Need to redesign for a pin-less port ... maybe a set of contact pads...
The advantage of pins is that the wiping action you get on insertion tends to clean off gunk and corrosion to give a better contact. That's important for the high current levels in the main power conductors.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
The advantage of pins is that the wiping action you get on insertion tends to clean off gunk and corrosion to give a better contact. That's important for the high current levels in the main power conductors.
The J1772 plug design has been around for a decade, and hundreds of thousands of cars, and thousands of chargers use it. I don't think they will be changing the design any time soon, because of a few bent pins..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts