Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my new Cajun Red Bolt Premier arrives next week and need to buy a home charger. I already have a 50 amp/ RV plug I use for charging my Travel trailer and I think I can use this same plug for the Bolt?

What features should I be looking for? Plug in vs direct wire? Do I need wifi control unit? Should it be one of the "portable" ones to travel with?

I see that the two most mentioned is the Clipper Creek and Juice Box?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
ChargePoint

I like the ChargePoint charger. It connects up to the internet. They have a nice app that lets you see all you private and public charge sessions. Each session shows you the amount of energy each charging session used, cost, and how long it took. It also shows you when your car started charging and what time it stopped. I use this to confirm my delayed charging was working properly.

The website has a little more of an expanded view with some graphs.

I like the charging history because I can see how much I have been using and what the true energy costs are for my car.

Andy

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok, so my new Cajun Red Bolt Premier arrives next week and need to buy a home charger. I already have a 50 amp/ RV plug I use for charging my Travel trailer and I think I can use this same plug for the Bolt?

What features should I be looking for? Plug in vs direct wire? Do I need wifi control unit? Should it be one of the "portable" ones to travel with?

Any thoughts?
Hi Juniper49, the JuiceBox Pro 40 (which I bought and am very satisfied with) has the same set of wifi capacities mentioned above for the other brand. One reason I bought it was because there are a large number of satisfied customers who attested to their satisfaction, and because I can remove it and take it with me. The wall mounting is quite secure and I have to take out one screw to pull it off the bracket if I want to take it. This may discourage casual theft and (since 99.9% of the time it will reside at home) helps anchor it securely. My take is that a number of the EVSE units are well made and that a purchase can be swayed by other factors. My purchase was dictated in part by what my local electricity utility asked me to buy in order to secure a $250 rebate. My utility recommended a 32 Amp (the Chargepoint 32 Home) and a 40 Amp (the JuiceBox Pro 40) unit, and I chose the 40 Amp thinking that some day I might be glad to have the faster charging setup.

·
Registered
782 Posts
the most flexible chargers for future and multi-EV households are the Tesla home chargers modified w/J-1772 end point. Why do I recommend the Tesla chargers (with J-1772 connector put on them)?

1. they are configurable for their amp settings - 12-80 amps - configurable - future EV ownership may be able to take advantage of > 32 amp charging - Tesla's already can.
2. they can be networked to 'share' a single circuit breaker so I can charge multiple EV's with a single circuit
3. they are very reliable
4. they have a nifty green light that animates while they are charging the car (this is critical).

you order them from Tesla and get them modified for the J-1772 end point, or you can buy the following "pig-tail" from http://shop.quickchargepower.com

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm

I'm running the following setup

2 Tesla Chargers (for charging two EV's)
1 60 AMP circuit for 48 amps of maximum charging power
I charge the Bolt using the J-Dapter stub with the Tesla Charger
I carry the J-Dapter stub in the car with me so when I'm out/about I can use either Tesla/Normal charging stations
I carry a Jesla with me so I can plug-in when ever I need (I also carry most of the adapters for the Jesla so I can plug into most recepticals.

NOTE: if you buy the J-Dapter stub you do _NOT_ need a Jesla - you can just buy the normal Tesla Universal Mobile Charger (UMC) and use the J-Dapter with it.

https://shop.teslamotors.com/collec...dapters/products/wall-connector-with-24-cable
https://shop.teslamotors.com/collec...ters/products/model-s-mobile-connector-bundle
https://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/nema-14-30
https://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/nema-5-20
https://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/nema-6-50

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm
http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JE...52942FDA158C69550566544FB0C60.p3plqscsfapp006
http://shop.quickchargepower.com/J-...l-Mounted-J1772-Charging-Station-JWALL80A.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Today, without thinking very hard about it, I ordered the charging station Chevrolet offers for the Bolt. 2 weeks with our new Bolt have demonstrated that the standard 120-volt charging doesn't cut the mustard. I hope I didn't make a mistake. This way it's all Chevrolet, so if there are problems I know whose desk to pound on.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Today, without thinking very hard about it, I ordered the charging station Chevrolet offers for the Bolt. 2 weeks with our new Bolt have demonstrated that the standard 120-volt charging doesn't cut the mustard. I hope I didn't make a mistake. This way it's all Chevrolet, so if there are problems I know whose desk to pound on.
AeroVironment makes the EVSE that GM is selling. AeroVironment has been making 30A units used by various OEMs (Nissan, Fiat, Ford, etc) for years. The only difference is the name-plate/branding on the face of the unit. Same electronics inside. I've been using a Nissan-branded unit for over 5 years with no problems, first with a Plug-in Prius and now the Bolt.

Edit: there is one semi-critical difference between the normal AeroVironment units and the GM one: 30A versus 32A. So maybe a slight modification to the electronics inside that advertises 32A instead of the 30A units. But otherwise identical.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the juice box pro 40. They had a promo awhile ago and I got it having to pay shipping. Pretty good deal and I like it too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Due to inplace garage wiring limits, our plan is to go with the CC LCS-30P, Plug-in 24 Amp Level 2 EVSE, 24V charger. I'd like help on which plug is is more readily found in the wild, in the event the charger comes along on a road trip. CC shows 14-30, 14-50, 6-50 or L6-30 as choices. First time EV buyer!

·
Registered
12 Posts

Any thoughts?
I am a happy JuiceBox user and would recommend one.

1. Plug in works better for most folks as it allows the unit to be portable if you ever need it.
2. WiFi is a nice to have feature but I do like it. It is not an absolute necessity.

Here is my review that you may want to read ->

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
281 Posts
I have the juice box pro 40. They had a promo awhile ago and I got it having to pay shipping. Pretty good deal and I like it too.
I'll add another vote for the JuiceBox 40 Pro. Excellent value for a 40A EVSE, very good WiFi reporting, portable, nice long charge cable. Mine's been working perfectly with my Bolt since Feb.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Clipper Creek HCS-50

Went with the HCS-50 so I am able to get 40 amps (even though my Bolt only takes 32) which may be useful now that I'm also considering another EV. I went with Clipper Creek because I don't need to know every detail of my EV electrical use (my power company is happy to show me my bill) and because I don't need another beep going off on my phone. I like things that work for the long haul and the volume of Clipper Creek owners will testify to the fact that they keep on charging. They are also UL approved, which the Juicebox is not. Clipper Creek has great pricing, excellent build quality, long cord, excellent customer service, and years of satisfied customers. That's why I bought.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I also just bought the HCS-50. I was going to buy the 32 Amp charger, but the 40 Amp charger was only $70 more. I have an electrician coming over on Monday to install and he said where my breaker box is it will be a simple job. Even though in total this will cost me over $900 I am considering this a home investment. Having a level 2 charger in a home might be a necessity with all the EV and PHEV coming out. So this investment might make your house that much easier to sell in the future.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Finally got my level 2 charger installed after 7300 miles on the car, I know my "maintenance" is coming up. It was a simple job for the electrician since he could install the charger opposite my circuit box and he charged me $120. This is pick-up country and we talked for half an hour about the Bolt. He said he has installed 3 Tesla charging stations, but this was the first for a non-Tesla EV. $820 for a level 2 charger and installation, plus it is a 40 amp charger so I can maybe take advantage of it with my next EV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got the one from HomeDepot.ca, Schneider EV230WS, very stable with delayed setting, eligible for rebate in Ontario. Simple to use, looks great. Comes with one free custom skin, I used a photo from cottage vacation...
Feels right !

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.