Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We are in the process of purchasing and installing L2 chargers in our building underground parking lot. We are considering either ChargePoint or FLO chargers. Does anyone have any experience/advice to help us decide?

cheers,

dave

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not a lot of experience to draw from, but both have been trouble free when I've used them out on the road. Flo/AddEnergie is a Canadian company, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a lot of experience to draw from, but both have been trouble free when I've used them out on the road. Flo/AddEnergie is a Canadian company, for what it's worth.
Thanks Rick. Here in BC there are more Chargepoint chargers in the Vancouver area but appreciate the Canadian aspect of the FLO system. Not sure what to do. Right now the city of Vancouver sponsors public charging....it is free, but I want home charging that is well integrated with the infrastructure moving forward. Here in Van, city council is well aware of the pending increase in electric charging demand and wants to be on the cutting edge and future friendly.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
We are in the process of purchasing and installing L2 chargers in our building underground parking lot. We are considering either ChargePoint or FLO chargers. Does anyone have any experience/advice to help us decide?
I have absolutely no advice to offer, but in the interests of you receiving a better answer (and me, lurking, getting to see what it is) I thought I'd pose the question of whether or not you have any special requirements. For example, do you need to collect usage information for billing? Or do you need to share a power feed so that chargers would have to balance the available power between two or more cars?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have absolutely no advice to offer, but in the interests of you receiving a better answer (and me, lurking, getting to see what it is) I thought I'd pose the question of whether or not you have any special requirements. For example, do you need to collect usage information for billing? Or do you need to share a power feed so that chargers would have to balance the available power between two or more cars?
Sean, excellent questions. I just got off the phone regarding our proposal for chargers and we were told it is best to go with a balanced system for when all 6 users on our first new building feed are trying to charge. The first 6 users have agreed that the differences in money owing would be negligible so we were planning on not collecting usage information but this is not off the table, just not necessarily a priority right now. We are also trying to be future friendly knowing that more people will want to go EV in the near future....especially when they get to see my Bolt.....sometime soon :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello,

cheers,

dave
I'm in the same situation and I'm considering this one

https://evdutystore.elmec.ca/collections/all/products/evc30-borne-de-recharge-evduty-40-pour-vehicule-electrique-prise-nema-6-50p

As good as the Flo one but a little bit less expensive.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
OK, so I just finished signing up for the Flo network so I could get an RFID card that would let me use their public chargers once my Bolt arrives, hopefully in December. While perusing their web site I see that they have a section for multi-residential chargers. From the limited amount of information I could see it looks like they have a charging solution that's designed for load sharing and expansion, which sure sounds like the kind of thing I'd be looking for in your situation, Braindigger.

Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of info there - they want you to fill out a form to get in touch with one of their consultants, which probably makes sense as each multi-residential installation is going to be a little different.

You said that Flo chargers were among those that you were considering, so you've probably already come across this. But when I say the info on their web site I thought of this thread that you started and I figured I'd pass it along anyway, just in case.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sean,

We have now compared Flo and Chargepoint. They are both expandable, variable, have RFID readers for securing, both have monthly fees for maintenance and tracking usage but Flo is more expensive.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
We have now compared Flo and Chargepoint. They are both expandable, variable, have RFID readers for securing, both have monthly fees for maintenance and tracking usage but Flo is more expensive.
I've signed up for both the Flo and Chargepoint networks (among others) so that I can use their public charging stations, and I've made a point of seeking out both types of chargers and trying them out just to verify that things are working. The ones I tried are free, so I can't comment on the price - but compared to all the griping I've been reading about regarding EVgo, these two networks seem to be pretty customer friendly.

Of course that has little to do with a condo installation, but it at least gave me a good feeling about those companies. And I kind of like the idea that Flo is Canadian.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
You mention that you may not require tracking usage. If you're plan is to just offer free charging, you could install any generic L2 charger and would avoid the monthly data charge. I installed one here at my office and could have had the cost covered 100% through the local utility if we agreed to post it to a public mapping network. We have limited parking so we decided against that and just built it ourselves. See attached. I had 2- reel type units installed into a retro gas pump. Easy Peasey and NYS rebates 50% of the total cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have always thought that at a business providing charging for employees, using Level 1 EVSEs make the most sense. In a workday, almost all users would be able to recover the energy they used to get to work, more charging spots could be installed for the same money, and the power requirements would be less. I can't reconcile the need to play musical cars as cars charge up and others need the limited resources. Just plug in and let it be. More productive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts