Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll admit it’s been a couple of decades since I last waxed a car. Turtle Wax was the go to back then. I know there are newer, probably better products out there. I keep hearing about ceramic coating. What’s people’s opinions on the best way to preserve and protect the paint and other external parts of the car? I live in Southern Arizona where the sun is downright brutal. Fortunately Rusty lives in the garage at home, and on occasion I have covered parking at some places where I work, but most of the time during the day he’s going to be parked outside in the blaring sun.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
What’s people’s opinions on the best way to preserve and protect the paint

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
also:

·
Registered
700 Posts
No sorry, But I too am looking into Wax.

Anyone remember when they had a wax that would hide scratches? Like it had a tint the color of your car to it?
Do they still make that? I can't seem to find it locally and really don't want to have it shipped only to find out it doesn't work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No sorry, But I too am looking into Wax.

Anyone remember when they had a wax that would hide scratches? Like it had a tint the color of your car to it?
Do they still make that? I can't seem to find it locally and really don't want to have it shipped only to find out it doesn't work.
I remember it. Also remember that it didn't work particularly well. (n)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I used to be a fanatic about washing/waxing my car. I've tried just about all waxes and found P21S to be the best. I used to get mine from the Harley Davidson store, but I don't know if they sell it anymore. It was a LOT cheaper at Harley Davidson. What ever you do, get a wax with a high carnauba content.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Most waxes with a high carnauba content will do that. It works by filling in the scratches so they aren't so noticeable. Of course it eventually wears off and you have to re-wax.
Then there's scratch x which has mixed reviews

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've been happy with Chemical Guys products the past few years. Reasonably priced and not a chore to use. I've found better prices on Amazon for their products and free shipping if over $25 or Prime member. Currently using this. Chemical Guys V4 All-in-One Compound Polish Can Help You Revive Your Paint's Shine and Protect It All In One Step! |

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hoo boy, this may be as entertaining as an oil thread on an ICE forum!

For several years, I've been very happy with Nu Finish liquid car polish.

Shake well and spread it very thinly over a small section using a damp cloth. Let it dry to a haze. Buff it off. Very easy to remove if you don't wait. Lasts at least 6 months and lasts through automatic car washes.

For a little deeper shine, you can apply a second coat within 30 days. I've always been satisfied with one coat, but then I'm easy to please and don't plan on entering my Bolt in a concours d'elegance any time soon.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think it makes far more sense to just go look at sites related to this... My preference there is autogeek for their forum and reviews. You're not going to find the best product here, as most people here are going to use what's available to them locally. Autogeek will show you what's available across as price ranges, provide reviews, youtube videos (how-to, reviews), and allow for folks with experience to answer questions.

Car forums with detailing sections have shown me to seek information elsewhere... this isn't the strength of the membership as a whole here to this site.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ll admit it’s been a couple of decades since I last waxed a car. Turtle Wax was the go to back then. I know there are newer, probably better products out there. I keep hearing about ceramic coating. What’s people’s opinions on the best way to preserve and protect the paint and other external parts of the car? I live in Southern Arizona where the sun is downright brutal. Fortunately Rusty lives in the garage at home, and on occasion I have covered parking at some places where I work, but most of the time during the day he’s going to be parked outside in the blaring sun.
I've been using Zaino products for about 15 years and they're great. I'm sure there are many similar products these days, but they're fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts