Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been cold in South Florida so haven't had to use A/C and have se a personal best record for one charge: 4.8 mi/KW. Used 49.7 KWh for 238.7 mi and still had 47 mi left. Chevy has done an outstanding job in range calculation, much better than my Tesla.
Electronics Car Vehicle Multimedia Technology

·
Registered
196 Posts
;)Interesting possibilities. I drive conservatively because I started with a Prius Plug In with 10 mile EV range. Also, because I'm older. Regardless what you driving style and average range is, you're only a charge away from more range.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm a leadfoot Larry: half of my driving has been freeway, the rest is in town or on an expressway with lots of lights and traffic, not many hills. I get around 3.2 miles per kWh in my one month old LT. It's just too much fun to zip past Porsches.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The only time I checked was just after Thanksgiving when I needed to drive 243 miles to get home. I started out with a full L2 charge in freezing weather, 28F. I preconditioned the car and drove @ 62MPH on cruise ctrl with the cabin temp in the 60s, but used the seat heater. The speed limit varied between 70 and 55, mostly 65.

I drove 242.3 miles and used 53.6kWh = 4.52mi/kWh

The remaining range estimate was 28 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier
981 Posts
That's awesome. Let's see if someone can hit 7 mi/KW!
7 miles/kWh (yes, I'll say that it's kWh, not kW) is not outside the realms of possibility. My hypermiling record at an EV rally competition that I won the 1st place was 6.83 mi/kWh:
Note that the course was a round-trip, so the elevation advantages didn't exist. If you were to travel downhill, it's definitely possible to go over 7 in that direction.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The only time I checked was just after Thanksgiving when I needed to drive 243 miles to get home. I started out with a full L2 charge in freezing weather, 28F. I preconditioned the car and drove @ 62MPH on cruise ctrl with the cabin temp in the 60s, but used the seat heater. The speed limit varied between 70 and 55, mostly 65.

I drove 242.3 miles and used 53.6kWh = 4.52mi/kWh

The remaining range estimate was 28 miles
Dave, these are really impressive numbers for all highway speed driving at 28 deg. Might you have had a tail wind involved? Can I ask if this was on the original Michelin Energy Savers and if so, how many miles were on them?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Dave, these are really impressive numbers for all highway speed driving at 28 deg. Might you have had a tail wind involved? Can I ask if this was on the original Michelin Energy Savers and if so, how many miles were on them?
Mike,
That post goes way back! Yes, stock Michelin Energy Savers, That was my 2017 Bolt I had acquired in June and I drive about 1k miles / month, so about 6k miles on them. I don't recall much wind, but of course that is a difficult variable to quantify. What I do recall was that although it started cold it was a crisp bright sunny day and warmed up as I drove. Probably reached the 40s, after I preconditioned the vehicle I never used the heat / defrost, and the car was black so the solar kept the passenger compartment very comfortable. I drove using the color ring around the speedometer as a guide, slow acceleration, no yellow, kept the ring green, was able to avoid making the level 2 charge stops I had needed for the trip down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts