Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
25 minute video
I don't speak German, but was able to read the subtitles translated into English. The speaker has a lot of credibility in part because they have bought and operated many Teslas and are strong advocates for electric vehicles. The video hasn't convinced me to avoid buying a Tesla, and I don't think that was their intent exactly, but it does make me think twice about it, and that seems ok.

My additional comment is that one of the usually-implicit points of the major large-volume manufacturers is that it is risky to buy from a smaller unproven manufacturer, and there may be quality control issues that one would not encounter with an established manufacturer. This seems to be proving the case, sometimes, inconsistently, with Tesla. I'm not entirely clear why Tesla doesn't just slow down and spend more money and get it right, but I guess they have put themselves on their present schedule.

#ServiceHell: Why Tesla canceled our €5 million Model 3 order
nextmove
Premiered Aug 16, 2019
[English subtitles available]
In this video we share our experience with the service ****, that Tesla is currently in.

nextmove has ordered 100 Tesla Model 3 for its all electric rental fleet in Germany in December 2018. After the delivery of the first 15 Model 3, nextmove had to stop taking delivery, due to severe quality and safety problems. Only every fourth vehicle was free of defects, in some cases vehicles were not even roadworthy.

Instead of agreeing on a process for defect-free handover and on-schedule repairs, Tesla set an 24-hours-ultimatum for nextmove and cancelled the remaining 85 Tesla Model 3 worth around five million euros after the ultimatum expired. Repeated attempts to buy vehicles failed.

Please share the video on your channels with the hashtag #ServiceHell #Tesla, if you agree, that service at Tesla must improve dramatically, in order to become a competitive car company in the mass market. Elon Musk has proven many times, that Tesla is able to fix problems quickly, if attention is high. We really want Tesla to get out of service ****.

Bloomberg already reported on our case and confronted Tesla with the facts: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...

We are very interested in your experience with the Tesla service because we believe that we are not an isolated case. Write us a comment directly here or send an email to [email protected]. Please also send us a video (max. one minute) - we will then publish a video with your experiences. Also videos in English are welcome.

About nextmove:
nextmove is Germany’s leading electric car rental company with 380 (thereof 65 Tesla) vehicles and is present in ten cities. The fleet includes all common electric cars, such as Tesla Model S, Model X, Model 3, Audi e-tron, Jaguar I-Pace, Kia e-Niro, Hyundai Kona, Hyundai Ioniq, VW e-Golf, Opel Ampera-e, BMW i3s, Renault Zoe and Smart as well as Renault Kangoo and Nissan e-NV200. Customers can try out and compare different models from the fleet and thus find their own dream car.

More information on www.nextmove.de
#nextmove
Category
Autos & Vehicles

·
Registered
230 Posts
Most of us have seen videos of Tesla quality control problems. I think they still need to address consistency/quality but if you're in the market for a sedan, nothing beats a Model 3. I like Tesla a lot so I hope they can solve those QC problems going forward. If I was in the market for a sedan, I would have gotten a Model 3 instead of the Bolt... but I probably would have scrutinized the Model 3 pretty closely before accepting delivery. For me, the Bolt just better fits my lifestyle.

Mike

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Most of us have seen videos of Tesla quality control problems. I think they still need to address consistency/quality but if you're in the market for a sedan, nothing beats a Model 3. I like Tesla a lot so I hope they can solve those QC problems going forward. If I was in the market for a sedan, I would have gotten a Model 3 instead of the Bolt... but I probably would have scrutinized the Model 3 pretty closely before accepting delivery. For me, the Bolt just better fits my lifestyle.

Mike
Yeah. They are great cars. We prefer a smaller hatchback, and got a better price than you can get on a Model 3, and at least six months before we could have seen one here. I suspect it will be a decade before Tesla makes a little hatchback, if ever.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I was shopping for an EV, I asked the Tesla rep if it's possible to order parts. He gave me a blank stare and said he wasn't sure. Since I don't lease my cars, that's sort of a deal breaker for me. My coworker's Model 3 has spent months in the shop as well. The media loves Tesla, like they do with Apple, so you will never hear the reality unless you talk to actual owners. Also, nothing like having an extra $13K in your pocket to save for a rainy day...if people still do that these days.

·
Registered
918 Posts
“it is not enough to succeed; a friend must also fail.”

I don't have to bash Tesla to feel good about owning a Bolt. If the base Model 3 had been available in 2017, it would have been a more difficult choice, but still the Bolt just works better for us.

jack vines

·
Registered
155 Posts
I bought a Bolt because I like the size and the actual full hatch in the back.

Honestly, if the 3 had been released with a full hatch in the back? Even odds that I would be driving one right now.

If Tesla is still around in ten years, they will probably have a few more models available, and more weirdos like me driving them.

... Also, if I was Elon, I would be tempted to add a E model, an L, an O, and a N to the current S3XY.

·
Registered
11 Posts
“it is not enough to succeed; a friend must also fail.”

I don't have to bash Tesla to feel good about owning a Bolt. If the base Model 3 had been available in 2017, it would have been a more difficult choice, but still the Bolt just works better for us.

jack vines
Jack, that is fine. Its also OK to debate the merits of different products. Personally, I'm not a Tesla fanboy. I think GM takes a conservative approach to engineering as compared to Tesla, which explains the slower charge rate, for example. Time will tell, but I am expecting the electronics and battery on the 2019 Bolt to last a long time, and be readily servicable, as compared to the Tesla, which is designed more like an iPhone, where you throw it away and buy a new one every few years.

The Model 3 is a nice performing and looking car, for sure. But here are my complaints:
  • Parts supplies, repair timelines and service are severely challenged. Can you even get the service manual, tools and diagnostic equipment to repair anything? What if they go out of business?
  • Lack of standard cabin controls, such as buttons, vent levers, etc. Very distracting to adjust everything via tablet menu.
  • Interior is designed in such a way that long term reliability and ease of servicing is going to be very challenging. For example, the electro-mechanical air vent adjustment seems pointless and will be a major PITA to repair when it breaks.
  • The panoramic glass sunroof is a safety and reliability issue. These tend to develop squeaks and rattles over time. Also, Federal law doesn't require the use of laminated glass for sunroofs, and there is a problem with people's heads going into the pavement during a roll over. There also isn't any padding between your head and the road, and my head was maybe 1 inch from the glass when sitting up straight.
  • Not a fan of proprietary connectors a la Apple. I like how Nissan and GM have gone with DC fast charger standards. For now, Tesla subsidizes fast charging, but that won't last forever.
  • Cost, including insurance of the Model 3 over the Bolt is quite a bit more. After tax credits, a new 2019 Bolt will cost me only $22,050 (not including tax), and is also a little cheaper to insure. I feel like this is a great deal.
  • Autopilot is oversold well beyond its actual capability. I feel its a safety hazard, and Telsa will need LiDAR and maps to achieve their stated claims.
  • Don't like the Tesla door handles because it needlessly complicates getting into the car, especially if you are in a hurry or have your hands full. As Consumer Reports said, they just did it to be cool. I could live with it, just as I am adjusting to the Bolt's quirks. But standard door handles make more sense.
That said, I wouldn't pay the same for a Bolt as for a Tesla. Also, if I needed a car capable of long distance travel, I would get a long range Tesla. But for me, an EV is a great commuter and weekend vehicle. I have two other cars to suit different needs, a minivan and a Porsche 911. If I didn't have either of those, a Model Y would be the next best thing.

When its time to replace the minivan in a few years (its 14 years old and still running pretty well), I'm leaning toward the plug-in Chrysler Pacifica. It looks like they copied the sleek Tesla styling too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing