Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
To echo @Packard V8, there is no evidence any Chevy Bolt has suffered due the owner's choices with regard to charging it. There are Bolts with over 100,000 miles that have seen lots of DCFC charging and many deep discharges and have modest battery degradation.

If you didn't worry about looking after the catalytic converter in your fossil-fuel car, probably best not to worry about your Bolt's battery.

But sure, if you want to keep your Bolt for 30 years and drive it 500,000 miles, feel free to adopt whatever battery babying strategy makes you happy. And to that end, I have a suggestion for prolonging your battery life:

Take the car, discharge the battery to 40%, and place your Bolt in a refrigerated storage facility. Disconnect the 12 volt battery. Do not drive it. Every couple of years, perform the usual maintenance you would on a stored vehicle and drive it a little, perhaps 100 miles or so, returning the battery charge to 40% when done.

Follow this regimen, and in 30 years, your car will be ready with maximal range to tackle some real road trips! (Assuming it is compatible with the 500 kW CSS-5 charging stations on the route, of course, and that human-driven vehicles are still allowed on the interstate.)
Amusing as always but your comments seem to imply setting the target charge to 75% requires additional (perhaps herculean) effort. It's doesn't. In fact, it's exactly the same as setting it to 100 with the added benefit that you may have more range someday. Hardly some anal-retentive exercise. When I need 100%, I'll take ten seconds to change it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Amusing as always but your comments seem to imply setting the target charge to 75% requires additional (perhaps herculean) effort. It's doesn't. In fact, it's exactly the same as setting it to 100 with the added benefit that you may have more range someday. Hardly some anal-retentive exercise. When I need 100%, I'll take ten seconds to change it.
For many of us with earlier Bolts, 87% is easy (Hill-Top Reserve) and anything else does require effort. Like you, I don't set my Bolt charge to 100% unless I think I'll need that, largely because I like having full regen.

I have no problem at all with a “set it and forget it” action. It's the complex rituals that seem like overkill (e.g., ensuring you discharge all the way down to 40% before charging back up again).

I also worry about telling people who do need to charge their car to 100% each day to handle their needs that they're ruining their cars. Thus far, no Bolts have been ruined by using them as intended.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
For many of us with earlier Bolts, 87% is easy (Hill-Top Reserve) and anything else does require effort. Like you, I don't set my Bolt charge to 100% unless I think I'll need that, largely because I like having full regen.

I have no problem at all with a “set it and forget it” action. It's the complex rituals that seem like overkill (e.g., ensuring you discharge all the way down to 40% before charging back up again).

I also worry about telling people who do need to charge their car to 100% each day to handle their needs that they're ruining their cars. Thus far, no Bolts have been ruined by using them as intended.
I guess that's why GM says they designed the car to last and hope we leave it at that. No such luck, esp since they gave us more charging options in the 2019. :)

You could still tweak the departure time if you want your Bolt to charge less than Hill Top Reserve.

·
Registered
252 Posts
... I set mine to 70 because I wanted driving in L to give me regen and... well...
70 is an AMAZING number.

Yeah yeah, I know. Nerd. I own it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
You could still tweak the departure time if you want your Bolt to charge less than Hill Top Reserve.
It's precisely that kind of malarky that makes me roll my eyes. Sure, you can do that, or rush out and unplug your Bolt at the right moment, or whatever, but really, get over it.

I mean, if that's what you're into, maybe position a wooden block behind the accelerator too, so you can't push it down too far and draw a high current from the battery (which will also wear it out just that tiny bit quicker).

·
Registered
356 Posts

I don’t recall anyone saying not to charge your car to 100% if you need the range, even on a daily basis. Can you please give an example of this? Since the average daily car trip is around 38-40 miles I find it improbable that many people need to charge to 100% daily. Also, where do these “complex rituals“ show up in this or other threads? I do not seem to recall anyone mentioning anything but an ideal range of SOCs based on scientific literature by people who actually know what they are talking about. So please, show me where this appears in the discussion and I will agree with you they are not valid recommendations. They are certainly not my recommendations.
For myself, I charge to 100% whenever I leave town because you never know what might happen and electricity is cheaper and more convenient at home. I also set my departure timer for the approximate time I will leave. Really no big deal to this. If you can navigate this forum I‘m sure someone would have the skills to do this too. 100% is just a number that goes away real quick on the road anyway.
And on the other end, if I’m down to 2 bars and don’t have my home in sight then I’ve made some pretty serious trip planning errors. I’m not worried about my battery as much as how not to make this mistake again

·
Registered
119 Posts

You're saying I should wait until 40% before charging back up? (Kidding...although if it weren't cold here that would just mean plugging in every other night).

I do think discussions like this might put some people off from buying an EV which would be a shame. The car will last a long time and be perfectly usable without extra effort.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I don’t recall anyone saying not to charge your car to 100% if you need the range, even on a daily basis. Can you please give an example of this? Since the average daily car trip is around 38-40 miles I find it improbable that many people need to charge to 100% daily. Also, where do these “complex rituals“ show up in this or other threads? I do not seem to recall anyone mentioning anything but an ideal range of SOCs based on scientific literature by people who actually know what they are talking about. So please, show me where this appears in the discussion and I will agree with you they are not valid recommendations. They are certainly not my recommendations.
See this example, it's a classic.

Also, just from this thread:
My understanding is that regardless of battery type best practice is to have the battery charged to a minimum of 50 % to maintain battery longevity. […] Should I be concerned about damaging the battery on my vehicle
Keeping the SOC between 75% and 25% seems the recommendation for longest life
You may feel that these are brief quotes out of context, but if you just pick up the general tone, you see that people really do worry that they might actually damage their car through pretty ordinary usage patterns, and various people bandying about ideal percentages to stay within.

I do think discussions like this might put some people off from buying an EV which would be a shame. The car will last a long time and be perfectly usable without extra effort.
Exactly!!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Whoa! Meanwhile for the Model 3...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Vertiformed,well, yes I can see what you mean and you are correct, people can and do take things too far. But hey, look at the nature of some folks on the board. Discussion ad nauseam about charging rates and how to get every last kW/time unit out of the DCFC charger. If a noobie was to read these post you would think you need to be Einstein to drive a EV. At least have a degree in advanced math. Why are people not complaining about these posts? My answer is some of us are nerds and just like to parse out every last detail from technology. Best Practices for Bolt battery is somewhere between "drive it like I stole it" and "I must religiously charge from 25 to 80%" or my battery is going to ****". We share ideas and come to our best
informed decisions. I would love to rail against the folks who think, without any proof, that the batteries will long outlast the mechanical parts of the car based on 36,000 miles of current use. There is no reason a modern EV car shouldn't go 500,000 miles or more. I hope the batteries will still have sufficient range to make it usable. But we will see....

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Vertiformed,well, yes I can see what you mean and you are correct
Thanks.

But hey, look at the nature of some folks on the board. Discussion ad nauseam about charging rates and how to get every last kW/time unit out of the DCFC charger. If a noobie was to read these post you would think you need to be Einstein to drive a EV.
I'd say these are a bit different. For one thing, some of these threads counter the idea that the Bolt is just a “city car” and unsuited to any road trip. In fact, although there are certainly road trips that the Bolt would be unsuited to, it's absolutely fine for a trip from Seattle to Portland (OR), or from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, or from Philadelphia to Providence, assuming good/working charging infrastructure. Portland (MN) to Pittsburgh, on the other hand, would be **** in a Bolt (but pretty dire in anything).

But also these discussions are grounded in the actual experience of Bolt owners. In contrast, threads of battery babying are based on speculation. Perhaps that speculation is indeed informed by some knowledge of lithium battery technology, but it still tends to be poorly informed.

There is no reason a modern EV car shouldn't go 500,000 miles or more. I hope the batteries will still have sufficient range to make it usable. But we will see....
Typical drivers drive 10,000–15,000 miles per year (with significant differences for both age and gender — working-age men drive the furthest). Let's call it 12,500. So, it would take the average driver 40 years to drive 500,000 miles. Even if you do 25,000 miles a year, it'll take you 20 years to hit 500,000 miles. Yes, there are some outlier folks who drive 100,000 every year, but those folks are really rare.

Do you even think in 20 years you'll have compatible CCS chargers to plug your Bolt into? I hope so, but it is far from guaranteed. (Do you think CHAdeMO Leafs will also be able to plug in?)

500,000 miles is fewer than 2500 full-discharge equivalent cycles. We'd expect the battery to be show noticeable wear by this point, but there is every reason to believe it would still perform just for the kinds of driving people will do. The idea that a significant number of people will care about taking 40-year-old Bolts on long road trips is a little far fetched.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
At 20 years old, you park the Bolt on your lawn like a junk car, connected V2G. :)

41 - 58 of 58 Posts