Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get the groups thoughts on the best way to get the lowest price on 2019 Bolt.

First off, let's review market condition
1) Bolt sales in the US are basically flat in 2019 vs 2018
2) Per the Chevy website there are approximately 4,089 bolts on dealer lots (1879 LT and 2210 Premier)
3) Based on 1,300 sales per month, thats 3 months of inventory
4) Tax credit goes down to $1875 on October 1
5) 2020 model was supposed to be released in 3rd quarter and I assume has been placed on hold until 2019 inventory sells out
6) 2020 Bolt models, even with the improved battery range will be hard to sell unless heavily discounted like 2019 models due to the lower tax incentive and newer options that have $7,500 incentive

While I'd prefer a 2020 (who wouldnt) - I am happy to purchse a 2019 at a rock bottom price that is significantly lower then what a 2020 will sell for

The question is how to do this?

When is the right time to buy? What other factors do you look at?

Should you buy in or out of state (assuming lower prices out of state)?

And how do you know what rock bottom is?

I appreciate everyones thoughts

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - the tax credit does go down to $1,875 which creates pressure on GM (not really the consumer) to stay competitive.

If demand was strong, then consumers would be the ones who are being pressured to act now or lose the rebate.

But since Chevy has what appears to be 3 months of inventory, they may need to increase their own incentives after September 30th to maintain demand.

Maybe I am wrong, but if 2019 inventory was at 2600 units on October 1, GM would need to increase the discount on the remain 2019 cars or the sales would slow down...and the discount would need to equal or be greater than the $1,875 that was lost in the tax credit.

Right now I feel like the cards are stacked in the consumer's hand

1) Flat demand
2) Excess inventory
3) Declining tax credit
4) More competition with new cars that include $7,500 tax credit
5) GM's desire to release 2020 model

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Seem to recall that GM routinely keeps 3 months of inventory to allow them time to retool their production line.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
XJ12

Thanks for the info...that is a good point...it takes time to retool.

However, shouldn't the 2020 models already be on the lot now?

I thought people were buying the 2019 model in September of last year?

So the line should already be retooled, right?

John

·
Registered
999 Posts
Just tell the sales guy you know the 2020 is coming and also that you can special order Hyundai/Kia models that actually have longer range, heat pump, adaptive radar cruise control and have the full $7500 tax credit. See what happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Right now I feel like the cards are stacked in the consumer's hand
Have to agree with you.

Prices fell after the $7500 tax credit fell to $3750. Who's to say prices won't fall further? If inventory was low, I could see GM holding firm on prices. If you look at threads about prices here and elsewhere, prices have trended downward.

I, personally, am looking at out-of-state dealers (am in TN), specifically dealers with a sizeable Bolt inventory. Trick is waiting for the lowest price without resorting to a poor color choice or compromising on options (would not buy a Bolt without DCFC or comfort and convenience package). In spite of bearish views on pricing, I do believe you would be taking a huge risk waiting until Nov/Dec timeframe on a 2019. In early Dec 2018, there were virtually no 2018s available.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
turbo6bar

What I find interesting is reading about people in November /December 2018 buying a loaded Premier ($43,500 MSRP) for between $33,000 - $36,000

Say the average was $34,500

They also got the $7,500 tax credit

So the effective price was $27,000 and it was the new 2019 model (not 1 year of depreciation)

The pricing I am reading about now for the same 2019 is like $30,850 and a $3,850 credit for an effective price of $27,000

That is the same effective price, but the car is 9+ months older...so no deduction of 1-year depreciation

While a $27,000 effective is not a bad price...it seems like the price could (should) be a lower based on market conditions...otherwise, it would be prudent to just wait for a 2020 which conceptually could be bought for the same price in December or January (assuming GM is going to absorb the 1875 lost tax credit). Even if they didn't, I'd pay $1875 for a car that is only 2 months old, 30 miles more range% more range and a few more safety features

Do you agree or am I missing something?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just tell the sales guy you know the 2020 is coming and also that you can special order Hyundai/Kia models that actually have longer range, heat pump, adaptive radar cruise control and have the full $7500 tax credit. See what happens.
P7Wang

These are all good negotiating points - thanks!

I wish the Kia Niro was in stock in my area...there are just two and about 200 miles away from me.

If either the Niro or Kona had big inventory in town, I'd love to try to play the two dealers off of each other.

I'd also love to give one a drive to see how it compares to the Bolt for myself.

What I like about the Bolt is that it appears to be rock solid - you know what you are getting. It's not perfect but the effective price after the Fed Tax Credit and my State Credit makes it around $23,000...compared to a Tesla that would cost a minimum of $37,000 - it's a good value. (And the Bolt appears to get better range than the Standard Range Plus Tesla and maybe even less battery degradation...AND it doesn't take 2-3 months for basic body damage repairs!)

Getting a Niro is an option...but to be anywhere close in price to the Bolt Premier, I'd need to get the base model which lacks many of the features the Bolt Premium has...

There is no perfect solution...

·
Registered
10 Posts
turbo6bar

What I find interesting is reading about people in November /December 2018 buying a loaded Premier ($43,500 MSRP) for between $33,000 - $36,000

Do you agree or am I missing something?
If the post tax credit price is $27k for the same vehicle 10 months later, then prices haven't gone down at all.

I know my parents paid $35k plus tax, title, license for a 2019 LT with Comfort, driver 1 and 2 in Dec 2018. The only other credit they received at the time was a $750 cash card from Costco.
Same car, today, same dealers, is around $28k.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Turbo6Bar

While it is not a perfect science (using prices paid data) it does seem like the best deals in Nov/Dec/Apr were all around 27,000 after the $7,500 tax credit (25,000 if in Maryland as they seem to get an extra $2,000)

So on the positive, GM has stepped up an 'covered' the $3,850 in missing tax credits - which is great...but also what Telsa did.

Unfortunately, they haven't sweetened the offering and these cars are now at the end of the model year.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, just trying to be a smart and educated buyer. I dont need to be an earlier adopter and am willing to buy now at the right price. For example, a Tesla AWD Long Range has an effective price that is $13,000 lower today than it did just 18 months ago. So even though those buyers got a $7,500 credit...the car is $13,000 cheaper today with only a $1,850 tax credit.

If I was able to get a 2020 with the improved 259 range today at an effective price of $27,000 I'd buy today. But I am not certain that this is the best deal for a 2019.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the GM Strike that started to today too. I don't think this will impact the Bolt much right now as it is not a 'hot car' with demand outstripping supply.

·
Registered
688 Posts
IMHO, and personal experience, the best price will be the last week of the year, but also the lowest inventory level, you may not get the options/color you want.
This link tracks dealer discounts, use as a bargaining tool. https://electrek.co/best-electric-vehicle-prices/
Also see the thread on this forum "how much were you able to get below MSRP"

I have personally purchased vehicles the last week of the year and obtained prices that I would have considered impossible unless I had personally seen the paperwork. GM will do a "year end red tag" event, with certain vehicles advertised online at a red tag price. Everyone thinks that December is a great month for car sales volume with all the advertising on TV with bows on cars and such, but in reality everyone is busy with the holidays and so sales are soft and they have to significantly incentivise purchases.

Also as soon as the calendar year ends the previously model year vehicles are instantly perceived to be "a year old"

The compounding factor for you with the Bolt however is the Federal tax credit phase out..

According to this site, SORP for the 2020 Bolt was to be 8/26. These estimates are typically based on "All parts home" dates communicated to the suppliers, but are sometimes published directly from GM.

No idea if they are actually building 2020Bolts yet as indicated, but no one at GM is building anything today with the strike :-(

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wonderbolt

This is great advice

I love the electric spreadsheet. Don you know how I can get historical data?

Buying last week of December makes sense. It's like buying and the end of a month, end of a quarter and end of year. Triple witching.

How much better a deal do you think I can get by waiting? What type of deals have you gotten?

I'd think most of 2019 will be gone and 2020s will be available. Do you think I'd get a great deal on a 2020 also?

·
Registered
10 Posts
No idea if they are actually building 2020Bolts yet as indicated, but no one at GM is building anything today with the strike :-(
A person from Canada posted that he bought a 2020 Bolt EV. That was on the BoltEV subreddit. Also, a GM employee posted pictures of the two new exterior colors. The pics were taken within the plant (Orion?). Sure does seem like 2020 is in production.

If the last week of 2018 is an indicator of 2019, you won't get a good deal on a 2019, because there will be none available for sale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are definitely heavy discounts around... Got a black '19 Premier on Saturday w/Driver Con. 2, fast charge, black bowties, and infotainment package for $29,600 + TTL, etc. (sticker just a hair sky of $44k). Only 10 miles on it. Just south of Nashville. They had 21 total '19 Bolts about 10 days ago and are now down to about 12 I think. With the $3750, I'm quite pleased.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Have purchased two Bolts so far. In October, I searched the LA dealer ads, and copied the lowest price ads for the type I liked. Took the ads to my local dealer in San Diego, and asked if they could match it. After some hemming and hawing, they did. Easiest buy from a dealer ever....

1 - 20 of 124 Posts