Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Best Strategy to Buy End of Year 2019 Bolt

22K views 123 replies 39 participants last post by  wonderbolt 
#1 ·
Wanted to get the groups thoughts on the best way to get the lowest price on 2019 Bolt.

First off, let's review market condition
1) Bolt sales in the US are basically flat in 2019 vs 2018
2) Per the Chevy website there are approximately 4,089 bolts on dealer lots (1879 LT and 2210 Premier)
3) Based on 1,300 sales per month, thats 3 months of inventory
4) Tax credit goes down to $1875 on October 1
5) 2020 model was supposed to be released in 3rd quarter and I assume has been placed on hold until 2019 inventory sells out
6) 2020 Bolt models, even with the improved battery range will be hard to sell unless heavily discounted like 2019 models due to the lower tax incentive and newer options that have $7,500 incentive

While I'd prefer a 2020 (who wouldnt) - I am happy to purchse a 2019 at a rock bottom price that is significantly lower then what a 2020 will sell for

The question is how to do this?

When is the right time to buy? What other factors do you look at?

Should you buy in or out of state (assuming lower prices out of state)?

And how do you know what rock bottom is?

I appreciate everyones thoughts

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#42 ·
Just bought a Premiere in San Diego, CA with every option (DC fast charging, Interior Protection, Infotainment package and Driver Confidence II package) MSRP $43,800 and I paid $30,200. Had to Finance through GM to get that price (purchase not lease). That doesn't include the tax credit ($3750) or CA state rebate ($2500) so net cost will be $23,950 once I do my 2019 taxes. I was about to buy a used 2017 with 35k miles for $21k when I saw that local dealers have recently dropped prices again and GM is offering a great incentive for September, along with the soon be decreased Federal rebate as of Oct 1, so I went with a new one and just joined this forum today. I also have a Jaguar I-Pace so looking forward to seeing which one I like better overall (the I-Pace has some serious software issues)

#54 ·
I also have a Jaguar I-Pace so looking forward to seeing which one I like better overall (the I-Pace has some serious software issues)
This really deserves a separate thread; a twice-the-money (or more!) BEV with serious issues, where the Bolt has pretty much none.

Again, yes, any vehicle will have random outlier problems, but the Bolt thus far has very few baked-in "issues" mentioned. We're past two years now and our has had zero problems, zero service, zero trips to the dealer.

jack vines

#44 ·
We just bought our Bolt here in Cincinnati for $28000 with all the rebates being offered now, effectively $24500 with tax rebate. We had our own financing as well (seriously, check out you place of employment's credit union, usually way better rates, which the dealers can usually beat if you hold their hands to the iron).

#46 ·
I've got a deal on the table for a 2019 LT with all the options. MSRP is $40,215, I have them talked down to $28,865 after taxes and fees. Still getting low-balled on my trade-in by $1,500, but I'm not sure if the price on the Bolt will get much better than this even next month. No luck so far trying to sell my old car private party. With the trade and tax rebate I'm looking at less than $15k out of pocket for a $40k vehicle. Hard to turn that down. Might have to pull the trigger now and get that full rebate. If prices drop again next month, so be it.

#74 ·
About your trade in problem..... that’s exactly why I leased my 2017 Bolt.
Didn’t want any trade in hassles, especially if three years later the technology improved and lessened what I could get.
Plus, I am betting that there’ll be more EV choices at the end of my lease in August 2020. Time will tell, but my hands aren’t tied!

#47 ·
ReadyWheelInnabel

I am in a similar situation, wondering if I should wait until October.

In your case, a few things to consider

1) Separate buying a car and selling your car. These are really two different transactions and if the dealer is low-balling you $1,500, sell the car elsewhere. Note - you may get to reduce the tax due on the new Bolt purchase by the trade-in amount on your old car, but that will not equal $1,500.

2) Your price on the Bolt ($11,260 off) is good, but not great. Based on what others are reporting and what I've personally experienced, a discount of $14,000 - $15,000 is a great deal (today)

3) Most people say that you can get the best price at the end of the month/quarter...so waiting a few days could help. Patience is a virtue. One caveat, make sure there is enough inventory or you may have to travel to get a car if too many get sold this week.

4) Regarding October, it is hard to know for sure what will happen. With the strike going on, Chevy may decide to slow down sales and lighten the offers. However, I think it is more likely the incentives will stay the same or increase to account for part (or all) of the lost tax credit. Keep in mind these are now 1 year old cars and the 2020s will roll out soon (as soon as the strike ends)

Good Luck!

#48 ·
Like I mentioned, I've tried to sell myself, but haven't had any luck. They are offering me over KBB for the trade value, but that is still $4k under what they are selling for retail right now. I have no issue with the dealer making money, but I can't help but feel I'm leaving something on the table.

The number I quoted was after all taxes and fees so the actual discount is nearly $14K off MSRP before those costs and the tax rebate are factored in. I have seen some people here buying LT's for $25K or less depending on options, but no one near me is willing to get close to that. Travel is just not an option for me at this time due to scheduling conflicts

I'm holding out on the trade till months end hoping for a sweeter deal, but local inventory is rapidly shrinking and travel right now is not in the cards. I'm out of town for this coming weekend, so it's basically the next 2 days or last day of the month for me.

I really hadn't given the strike much consideration, but it certainly muddies the waters a bit more. As many have said I expected the 2020 to be out by now, but also think they may be trying to clear lots first.

Thanks for the feedback!

#50 ·
I'd think if you split the difference between dealer trade-in value and private party value, someone would snatch it up very quickly. I once purchased a 2007 Outback and didn't haggle with the guy because he posted it on Craigslist for $1,000 under private party value. A month later I decided I didn't like the automatic transmission, poor fuel economy, and worse handling (compared to Legacy), so I sold it on Craigslist to the first person that contacted me, for $1,000 more than I purchased for (which was BB value). Zero haggling on that too.

I think it makes a difference the effort you put into an ad too. Get good photos, and make a proper description. You know how many ads don't even mention if the car is an automatic or manual transmission? It gets tedious to ask every seller basic questions about their vehicle when it could have just been described properly in the first place.

#51 ·
I agree with you on both points. I post a minimum of 10 photos and do a full write up listing all pertinent features and add-ons. I even listed it below the Carfax and KBB recommended price. Still no takers. Seems people don't want hatchbacks even when low mileage and well cared for. I have never had a problem selling any of my sports cars or trucks in the past. I'm sure if it was a crossover it would already be gone since that is all people seem to want now. I must have purchased an undesirable vehicle.

#52 ·
Well, just checked with website of the dealer where I bought my Bolt. At the time, I think they had 5 (3 were in transit), now they're down to 2 (2 in transit). So I guess no more test drives for any potential buyers there. Looked at 2 more local dealers... one had 4 in stock, one had none.

#55 ·
I'm a dummy and didn't realize I'm working this weekend... so I won't have time to buy a Bolt before the end of this month, which makes it much less likely I'll get one unless GM offsets the reduction in federal credit as they release the 2020 model.

#61 ·
Finally pulled the trigger last night on a 2019 LT with all the options. Dealer called and offered me the trade deal I wanted and asked for 2 weeks ago. As is often the case the end of month made them budge.$40,250 sticker, $28,500 before trade/tax/tax credit. As of this morning Chevy's website was still showing the same discount amount so we will see how they react to the lower tax credit starting today.

#62 ·
I am nearing the end of my Chevy Cruze lease and there is a Chevy dealer near me that is offering 2019 Bolt Premiers for $28K after discounts, with DC fast charging (MSRP is $43,835). Is that a good deal, or is it worth waiting another month or two to see if the price will drop more? My lease isn’t up until January 14th and I’m looking to lease again.

#63 ·
For september $29,500 was a very good price

If you adjust that price down $1875 for the lost tax credit $28,000 is a very good price for october.

You should be able to get another $700 if you are a costco executive member and the dealer is participating

If you wait and can still find the car you want, it should get lower. But for today, I'd say that is a very good price.

Good luck on your decision.

Curious. What state are you in?

#71 ·
For september $29,500 was a very good price

If you adjust that price down $1875 for the lost tax credit $28,000 is a very good price for october.

You should be able to get another $700 if you are a costco executive member and the dealer is participating

If you wait and can still find the car you want, it should get lower. But for today, I'd say that is a very good price.

Good luck on your decision.

Curious. What state are you in?
He mentioned it was a premier. $28k seems excellent for a Premier doesn't it?.

#65 ·
2020 production started in August. So conceptually there are a number of cars wating to be delivered to dealers when the strike ends. I agree that having 2020 on lots should put downward pressure on price.

And if the 2020s have better charge rates then that could really make the cars before 2020 worth less. Charging rate is the big downside on bolts. There are few weaknesses but charge rate is probably the biggest.

#75 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, just wondering what people have noticed recently (and to OP if you bought yet?) since the Oct 1st+ reduction in federal rebates to $1875. I'm also a Costco member and can go in with Costco pricing (I've used it in the past), but was wondering if I could do better negotiating on my own (I bought my old Vette that way) and if I would still qualify for the $300 or $700 Costco Cash Card back without using the Costco pricing negotiation since I've noticed dealers tend to not budge with the Costco pricing.

I'm based in So California if anyone else have experience in this area as well.

I originally just was aiming for a basic LT, but really like the 360 view camera when I had that on a loaner (and surprised Tesla doesn't have that) which is only on the Premier...Would really like to hit the 28000k range or lower if possible.

Sorry for the longer post, but hoping to share/exchange experiences with end of year 2019s after the credit change in Oct.

Wish the 2020s would be out already, but I may not have much timeframe to wait for that.

Edit: Looking at some vids, saw a vid that maybe the video quality on 360 view wasn't that great yet so maybe I should stick with the LT instead...

Curious to hear what people are finding currently.

#76 ·
finallyGoingEV

I am still trying to buy a Bolt, but the Texas market has not seen much price movement in October. I believe this is a result of Texas issuing a $2,500 tax credit in September. I even had one dealership not honor their written offer even though the cars are technically worth less every day.

I have tracked posts of peoples’ purchases and watched pricing across the internet and believe that a good price for October is $28,000 for a loaded Premier ($44,000) and $24,500 for a loaded LT ($40,000) ...+/- based on your state.

I believe people have bought cars for these prices in October in numerous states including CA.

While you cant believe all advertised pricing, I’ve seen LTs advertised for $22,700 and that did not include the Costco dollars.

The Costco program is very confusing. I’ve gone to three dealers and each one gave me a different Costco price. From what I understand, you can negotiate your best price and as long as the dealership registers your Costco promo code, you get the $300/$700

Personally, I’ve found the Chevy dealerships horrible. One tried to sell me a car without a charger. Instead, it was listed as a $595 option. Another dealer wanted $399 for nitrous in the tires. Most know nothing about the car. And almost all of them lie non-stop.

While I am highly motivated by price, I am very concerned about the health of the Bolt’s battery pack sitting on a dealer lot for 6 months in the summer. I’ve posted about this a few times.

I was hoping for better charging times on the 2020, but that didn’t happen.

historically 2020s would have been released in September but due to the strike, they haven’t been released for sale. But the press now is driving them. The delay of the 2020s is also another factor in prices not falling quicker

im at the point now where a 2019 really makes little sense.

it is 1 year older - that is worth about $3000-$4000 In depreciation
the battery pack has been abused - no clue on real impact
Texas pricing on 2019 is about $2,500 too high...magically the amount of the state tax credit

Of course I have a concern about the build quality of any GM vehicle post strike. So I’d prefer one that was built Pre strike and has sat in the sun since August. (not optimal again)

GM has made a great car in the Bolt in 2017 and has done very little since then to improve the vehicle or train their dealers. Their lack of actions show their indifference to EVs or at least the Bolt

Tesla on the other hand has redefined everything

They successful started the EV movement
Amazing supercharger network
Best of class charge rates
Car design like the frunk - no frunk on bolt
continuous improvement via software
continuous improvement in manufacturing - no real,model years
Autopilot
haggle free buying experience

Yes, Tesla is fraught with issues too. Horrible quality control, unpredictable pricing changes, service delays...

But Tesla feels like they are on the right path but have lots of growing pains

GM feels like a dinosaur stuck in the Stone Age

in short, the overall experience has reminded me of why I haven’t bought an American car for years.

I don’t know what I will do, but a model 3 is always an option if I can’t get a fair deal on the Bolt

The only reason why I even consider the bolt is it appears to be a very good car, has good range, and can cost a lot less than a model 3.

if the price difference was only a few thousand dollars, I’d buy a model 3 every time.

Why haven’t I bought a model3? Because I really want the space of a model Y. The Bolt was going to be an interim solution that made financial sense based on the pricing. And the hatchback format was a plus over the model 3.

#77 ·
Thanks for taking the time and sharing your updated thoughts! Really appreciate it...Yeah, the 2019 is a year old in everyone's eyes and 2020s for many models are out already (which is the norm honestly for cars)...

I just need a bottom of the barrel commuter so was considering the Leaf first, but their battery overheat issues or no cooling has me a bit concerned since So Cal gets insanely hot in my garage I've noticed.

We still have a 2500 credit (income limited though) I believe that we have to apply/maybe wait in line for, but it's sorta annoying to even have to go through those, but $$ is $$.

Tesla Model 3 would be nicer, but like you say, it's a little more expensive for a basic cummuter. I priced a bottom of the barrel one at $38,990.

Will check my finance/payment plans and see what these dealers say. Maybe by next week, GM and the union can resolve something and we can at least get specs/info on the new model.

#78 ·
The press is reviewing the 2020 now. There appears to be no changes beyond what was announced. Bump up in range and better resolution on cameras.

In September 2018 people were buying the 2019 for 39,000 and received a $7500 fed tax credit for an effective price of 31,500

One month later the prices dropped to 37,000 or an effective price of 29,500

So I predict that the 2020s will launch at 33,500 and maybe in december you could get it for 31,500

This all assumes the strike ends in october.

Personally, if the price is any higher a tesla model 3 will be my decision.

#81 ·
Tesla should sell a high end insurance where if there is a collision, they give you a brand new Tesla and bring the crashed one back for recycling. Tesla is starting to have inventory pile up so this is a faster way to you the customer back and running vs waiting for parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.