Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a reminder to beware of dealer doc fees and other junk fees that dealers add in (also known as ADP=Additional Dealer Profit). These fees range from $0 to $800 or more. Some savvy buyers refuse to pay them. Some dealers come back and say they have to by law, because if they charge one person, they have to charge everyone. This may or may not be true depending on your state. However, if you say you'll buy somewhere else, the dealer often lowers the price by the fee amount, essentially making it zero.

Bottom line is always negotiate this up front in writing, not when you are picking up the car.

Michael

·
Registered
110 Posts
here is some info i found out for California:

California
calls them "document processing" fees because of the association between doc fees and government charges, the state's DMV told us. California caps the fee at $65 if the dealer hasn't partnered with the state to provide on-site registration services to the buyer. If the dealer has such a partnership, it may charge up to $80.
Read more at https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/06/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-a-dealer-doc-fee/#KdKPTEwX0M5TRFHw.99

Each state's fee rules vary.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You may not be able to negotiate on the fees much on a new model vehicle that may be in high demand like the Bolt. But once it's been out for a while and supply has caught up with demand, then the walking away method could reduce the fees to zero.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That's kinda it I think.

If there's a high demand, they know people will be there to buy it. So even if you don't, someone else will. Give it a year and then they'll be more in terms of flexing and negotiating. Until then, they really don't care.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Figuring out how to get a "fair" deal on the Bolt seems like it may be difficult in the early stages, since demand is likely to exceed supply. Anybody have a good strategy? I talked to Concord Chevy and of course they wanted me to come out and "build a car". I would rather do it on line first.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Maybe try asking multiple dealership to see if any of them will give you a better deal, but beyond that I can't think of anything for a newly released model. Wish Chevy would hurry up with their build page...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Maybe try asking multiple dealership to see if any of them will give you a better deal, but beyond that I can't think of anything for a newly released model. Wish Chevy would hurry up with their build page...
Getting them to fight for your business is a good strategy which for me is the last help line if just negotiating with them without any outside influences won't help.

but depending on the real demand they might not even budge.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
From what I'm seeing, the demand for the Bolt is high so they probably won't budge for a while. Also, they probably know that some people needs to buy on within a certain time frame to take advantage of the full tax credit offered.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My dealer came back with estimated pricing - I feel a little ripped off from fees, but it may be normal for SoCal. Here is the breakdown:

$40,905​*(MSRP for the Bolt Premier trim - no packages)
+
$875 (Destination Freight charge from Chevy)
--------------
$41,780 (MSRP from Chevy)
+
$335 (dealer claims I got DC Fast Charge option at a discount)
---------------
$42,115 (amount quoted by dealer for car)
​*
$3,369.20 (8% sales tax)
+
$842.30 (fees - need breakdown - I'm assuming title, license, docs, etc.)
---------------
$4,211.50 (dealer quoted about 10% of the total for "fees", including tax)
​*
$46,326.50 - Total

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wow!

My dealer came back with estimated pricing - I feel a little ripped off from fees, but it may be normal for SoCal. Here is the breakdown:

+
--------------
+
---------------
​*
$3,369.20 (8% sales tax)
+
---------------
​*
$46,326.50 - Total
Seems to me you are getting a car loaded with a ton of BS supplied by your dealership!

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts

+
--------------
+
---------------
​*
$3,369.20 (8% sales tax)
+
---------------
​*
$46,326.50 - Total
So the dealer is "only" charging you $335 for fast charging? I believe $41.7k is the price of a BASE Premier with no other options.

Where are you in Cali exactly? I input your Bolt's price in this DMV calculator (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/FeeCalculatorWeb/newVehicleFees.do), and I got $4,357 in total fees and taxes....pretty close to your dealer's $4,211 figure. I used a San Fernando zip code.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So the dealer is "only" charging you $335 for fast charging? I believe $41.7k is the price of a BASE Premier with no other options.

Where are you in Cali exactly? I input your Bolt's price in this DMV calculator and I got $4,357 in total fees and taxes....pretty close to your dealer's $4,211 figure. I used a San Fernando zip code.
I'm in Orange County - I ran the same calc (thanks for the site) and it shows $3724 total for tax + docs. That's $487 more that the dealer is charging me in "fees".

I may have to fight them on it when I pick up the car. I hope they don't try to charge a "Destination fee" or "Vehicle Preparation fee".

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is demand that high

From what I'm seeing, the demand for the Bolt is high so they probably won't budge for a while. Also, they probably know that some people needs to buy on within a certain time frame to take advantage of the full tax credit offered.
I too wonder how to judge demand. As far as I know there isn't much of a national ad campaign going on yet. At the SF car show, most of the interest in the Bolt seemed to be EV owners. I guess time will tell, when ever the get around to delivering cars. I definitely plan to talk to more than one dealership, when the time comes.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts

+
--------------
+
---------------
​*
$3,369.20 (8% sales tax)
+
---------------
​*
$46,326.50 - Total
Go to https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/FeeCalculatorWeb/newVehicleForm.do
to calculate your actual sales tax and registration fees.

For me, in San Mateo county, I come up with $365 for license/registration, and 3790 for for taxes (9%).

It sounds like your dealer is up charging you on fees. In CA, dealer doc fees are capped at something like $40.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
I'm in Orange County - I ran the same calc (thanks for the site) and it shows $3724 total for tax + docs. That's $487 more that the dealer is charging me in "fees".

I may have to fight them on it when I pick up the car. I hope they don't try to charge a "Destination fee" or "Vehicle Preparation fee".
The destination freight charge is supposed to cover shipping and dealer prep.

It sounds like they are "giving" you a discount on fast charging, but charging a higher fee to register the car. In the end, the total cost to you is the same for the car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Go to https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/FeeCalculatorWeb/newVehicleForm.do
to calculate your actual sales tax and registration fees.

For me, in San Mateo county, I come up with $365 for license/registration, and 3790 for for taxes (9%).

It sounds like your dealer is up charging you on fees. In CA, dealer doc fees are capped at something like $40.

i remember seeing in another thread here, saying that if the dealer offers DMV registration services, max by law that they can charge in CA is $85. will go look to confirm.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I too wonder how to judge demand. As far as I know there isn't much of a national ad campaign going on yet. At the SF car show, most of the interest in the Bolt seemed to be EV owners. I guess time will tell, when ever the get around to delivering cars. I definitely plan to talk to more than one dealership, when the time comes.
Well right now its pretty simple, the vehicle is new, it hasn't had much time in the hands of the public and even the media. So far its just those 3 guys. So naturally dealers will try to do certain things while they know there a long list of people wanting these.

You don't always need someone to spoon feed you the information, just have to look at the current state of things.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i remember seeing in another thread here, saying that if the dealer offers DMV registration services, max by law that they can charge in CA is $85. will go look to confirm.
That's just for "doc fees". In California it's $80 max by law. However, there are other DMV fees as well, which that calculator will show you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts