Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I used an EvGo DC fast charger for the first time and got quite a shock - not literally. They charge $4.95 to activate the charger, then they charge 20 cents per minute. What I didn't know is that they limit your charge to 30 minutes. So... After 30 minutes, the charger shut off after delivering only 9 kWh. Then they charged me more than $12 or about $1.33 per kWh. Let's put this into perspective. If your battery is empty, and you charge to 80%, you will pay a total of $63.84 for a single 80% charge. I figured that my friends in the Bolt EV world would be interested to know about this.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I can hardly wait for the day that a startup builds a charging network that puts EVgo out of business.

Sky-high prices, connection fees, time limits, billing hassles. It’s almost as if EVgo did a survey that asked EV owners what charging practices annoyed them the most, and then built every one of them into their network.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Honestly the cost is not as big of a concern to me as the time limit.

Currently driving from L.A. to Vegas (~300 miles) in the bolt is infeasible, roughly ~100 miles from my house to an EvGo charger and ~200 more miles to Vegas from there. From what I've read 30 minutes on a DCFC will buy you at most 90 miles of driving distance which means that you could theoretically make it but you'd be pushing it WAY past my comfort zone.

Now they are adding a second charger about 100 miles up the road, while this means you can stop at the 100 mile mark and then again at the 200 mile mark you are now committing to 2 charging stops. If you could charge for 45 minutes you could almost certainly make it with one charging stop from either charger location.

I guess this makes EvGo a lot more money.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
In a funny way I actually appreciate the high rates because it discourages people from using the charger unless they really need it. That makes the charger more likely to be available for me, and I only use them when I'm on a road trip - in which case I really need it.

But yeah, having to return to the charger to reactivate it after 30 minutes is a royal pain in the behind.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You don't return to the charger. You use the mobile app to restart your session for another 30 minutes. Get the monthly plan (without the connection fee) if you charge a few times a month. If not, who cares. When I go on a road trip the cost of my cocktails (at my destination, of course) dwarf any connection fee. If you want to save money, buy a used Civic. Without EVGo I wouldn't have bought a Bolt. Their chargers allow one to drive through Southern California without a problem. As far as costs go you should read EVGo's white paper on the subject. There are daytime "demand usage" charges that they pay as a business that you don't pay as a consumer.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You don't return to the charger. You use the mobile app to restart your session for another 30 minutes. Get the monthly plan (without the connection fee) if you charge a few times a month. If not, who cares. When I go on a road trip the cost of my cocktails (at my destination, of course) dwarf any connection fee. If you want to save money, buy a used Civic. Without EVGo I wouldn't have bought a Bolt. Their chargers allow one to drive through Southern California without a problem. As far as costs go you should read EVGo's white paper on the subject. There are daytime "demand usage" charges that they pay as a business that you don't pay as a consumer.

I don't have a problem with paying for my energy usage, I just find it annoying that they impose an arbitrary time limit on the chargers specifically so they can rack up more connection fees especially when this has the added effect of adding more time to my trip needlessly.

Honestly I'd way rather pay them a higher connection fee up front and not have to worry about the time limit because my time is more valuable.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I guess that I've been doing EV road trips in the mid-atlantic area since 2014, and pre-EVGO, the few DCFC's were 25 kW units and half of them were broken at any given time. Many were 'free' and basically useless.

Now I at least have a bunch of reliable DCFCs all over my driving area, and they are all 50 kW nominal units. And then they charge me a few bucks....ok, thanks.

I see it as the price of being an early adopter.

The question for the OP is why only 7 kWh in 30 mins? I get 20 kWh pretty regularly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't have a problem with paying for my energy usage, I just find it annoying that they impose an arbitrary time limit on the chargers specifically so they can rack up more connection fees especially when this has the added effect of adding more time to my trip needlessly.

Honestly I'd way rather pay them a higher connection fee up front and not have to worry about the time limit because my time is more valuable.
The time limit is what gets me, I'm happy to pay for stuff that's what makes people not park their car on it for a day and walk away. But 30m....that defeats the 'charges in 90m to 80%' feature.

Not a big deal for me, i'm not doing roadtrips so i just won't use those. Just hope the infrastructure gets a little better than that. not a fan of the connection fee or monthly fee business model.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have an account just in case something goes wrong. I have an EVgo charger 2 miles from my house. In case there is a power outage or I forget to charge my car over night, I can easily get a quick charge so I can get to work. This is well worth the crazy prices to me. Thankfully I have never had to use the EVgo charger, but as an emergency I definitely would. However, because of the prices and that 30 minute charge rule, I always take my SUV on long trips. It is just as cheap to take the SUV and I have a lot more room.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The question for the OP is why only 7 kWh in 30 mins? I get 20 kWh pretty regularly.
I've found this during the recent temperature plunge. All previous 30-minute sessions notched up ~18kW, then one in early January barely passed 8kW. All were at a similar state of charge, always below 25%. Would be less galling if the cost was still based on energy delivered rather than minutes used, but I took it as part of the learning curve, never to be repeated in local winter charging.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
You don't return to the charger. You use the mobile app to restart your session for another 30 minutes.
I like to return to the charger to make sure that someone else hasn't plugged the cord into their car when my session ended. Otherwise I'd be restarting the session and paying for their charge...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I have done the 60 minute charge ($21.90) but most often get 75-90 miles for $10.95. Since my ICE car got 24 mpg & a gallon costs $2.599, I’m paying just a bit more than a gasoline trip would have made me pay. Without DCFC, distance travel would just not be possible. But, like for most other drivers, this is a small portion of my annual mileage. So... happy with the Bolt, grateful for EvGo where there is no other DCFC.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
One interesting thing I noticed today when browsing the PlugShare site, the EVgo DCFC station in Baker, CA that's been under construction for well over a year has a new comment as of this Monday (Mar 6) from "manager"

The EVgo Baker charging station should be open soon. We will post here when the station is OPEN.
If true this is great news, makes driving the Bolt to Vegas a lot more realistic. Though without a final DCFC location between Baker and Vegas it's still a risky one. If you plan on charging in Baker and for whatever reason you are unable to you could be stuck for hours in one of the hottest locations on the planet. Realistically you'd need to L1 charge for a few hours just to get enough range to drive to the closest L2 charger which is another ~50 miles up the road.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
EvGo just announced this month a change in their plans. No connection charges. I'm unable to post URLs since I'm new.
Yes, that subject has been posted here already.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
One interesting thing I noticed today when browsing the PlugShare site, the EVgo DCFC station in Baker, CA that's been under construction for well over a year has a new comment as of this Monday (Mar 6) from "manager"

If true this is great news, makes driving the Bolt to Vegas a lot more realistic. Though without a final DCFC location between Baker and Vegas it's still a risky one. If you plan on charging in Baker and for whatever reason you are unable to you could be stuck for hours in one of the hottest locations on the planet. Realistically you'd need to L1 charge for a few hours just to get enough range to drive to the closest L2 charger which is another ~50 miles up the road.
I would LOVE to hear what the actual max charging rate on the Bolt is, when 100 kW (or more) is available to the vehicle. The station at Baker is supposed to have "up to 350 kW charging" (although that is probably marketing speak for "10 years from now we will support 350 kW charging"). Hopefully, these new chargers will support (at least) 200 Amps @ 400 V.

The photos on plugshare look a lot like the ABB "prototype" DCFC at the Lowry Lucky in Fremont, CA - which is (nominally) 350A, "up to" 600V (140 kW @ 400V). I can't wait for somebody to pull up with 10-15% SoC and then keep track of the charge rate every 5%, up to (say) 60-70% SoC.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The photos on plugshare look a lot like the ABB "prototype" DCFC at the Lowry Lucky in Fremont, CA - which is (nominally) 350A, "up to" 600V (140 kW @ 400V). I can't wait for somebody to pull up with 10-15% SoC and then keep track of the charge rate every 5%, up to (say) 60-70% SoC.
I was noticing that as well. I've never seen an ABB charger before so maybe they all look like that.

My house is 196 miles from that location, I'd probably be pretty close to 10% by the time I got there (I'd definitely be way outside of my comfort zone). I estimate I only have about 215 miles of range at 70MPH.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts