Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm considering bike rack options for my Bolt, and I'd be interested to know what experiences other people have had. The way I see it, each option has it's pros and cons:

Roof rack: This would be the cheapest option for me because I already got crossbars for hauling a kayak, but it also seems like a more of a hassle for loading/unloading than the other options, and having the bike on the roof seems like it would create a lot more drag on the highway than having it in the back.

Hitch rack: Easy loading/unloading and easy to remove the rack when not in use, but more expensive than the other options because I'd need to add the hitch receiver.

Trunk rack: Easy loading/unloading and not too expensive, but more trouble to remove and put back on as needed. It's possibly unwarranted, but I have some concern about it staying securely in place after multiple openings and closings of the hatch.

Grateful for any advice the community can offer me.
Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Sounds like you know the pros and cons pretty well, so it's up to what is most important to you.

For me, I prefer the hitch rack for the reasons you've mentioned. That, and I have a 4'x8' folding trailer that comes in handy very frequently, so having a hitch means I hardly ever need the truck.

I know without a doubt I would forget the bikes someday and destroy them going into the garage, if not going through drive-through or other low clearance structures. That 1 instance would negate any savings on the rack.

I'm not a fan of the trunk racks because they don't seem that secure to me, and I question my ability to secure everything without scratching the vehicle or having rub marks develop.

I've got a bike rack for a 2" receiver that can carry 2 bikes, or with the extended piece, 4 bikes.

Range will suffer tremendously with a roof mounted rack, though I couldn't tell you by what amount. It would depend on the speed you travel.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Bike hitch is the easiest and safest. Small, 1 inch hitches are available that will hold a max of two bikes. Have used one for years on our Bolt.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
1.25" Draw-Tite and a bike rack here. I did make a set of ropes to hook to the roof rails to stop bounce, though. (My 105 lbs of e-bikes stresses the 100 lb rated rack.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have the 1.25" draw-tite hitch, it has worked well for over a year and was easy to install myself. I have an auxiliary strap to the top of the hatch as well as in my old car to help support the rack, which is useful since it can get a pretty good oscillation going from expansion joints on the highway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I was able to borrow a trunk-mounted rack to test out, and after fiddling with it for the better part of an hour, I couldn't get it secure enough that I felt comfortable carrying a bike on it. It was one of the cheaper versions, but the only reason I was considering that over a hitch-mounted rack was to save money, so hitch it is. I just ordered my Draw-Tite today. For the rack, I'm thinking a Kuat Beta, partially because of price and partially because it's about half the weight of most of the other racks I've seen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Trunk rack: Easy loading/unloading and not too expensive, but more trouble to remove and put back on as needed. It's possibly unwarranted, but I have some concern about it staying securely in place after multiple openings and closings of the hatch.
Hi Alex -

I went with a trunk rack. For my occasional use I didn't way to pay $500 for a set of roof bars. (I already have the Thule bike trays so that part would have been covered.) I decided against a hitch rack because I just didn't feel like adding a hitch which (for me) would remain unused most of the time, and again the expense of the hitch plus the bike rack would have been higher than I'd want to pay. I went with the Yakima Fullback 3-bike because it was one of the few trunk/hatch racks that is compatible with the Bolt's plastic spoiler. I've found that I can put it on the car in about 5 minutes, which for me is acceptable. It also is quite steady on the car, even when driving highway speeds with a couple of bikes on it.

However I'm guessing that this would not work for you because the way this rack needs to be installed on the Bolt requires you to keep the hatch closed the entire time the rack is installed on the car. (I can go into more detail as to why if you're curious.) Again, for me that's fine since I take it off as soon as I'm back home from the ride, but I can see how that would be annoying if you want to leave it on your car for regular use.

So, even though I'm satisfied with the trunk rack, it sounds to me like it won't work for you.

Cheers,
- Bob

·
Registered
74 Posts
Draw Tite and 1upUSA hitch rack. The latter never goes on sale, and you’ll cry when you write the check, but it has lasted through 4 cars and tens of thousands of miles in all sorts of weather and still looks/works great. No rust and made in USA.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The cheapest of the trunk mounts are really flimsy, err at least on the Bolt they are. You can use patches of clear tape to prevent rubbing, but there is no fix for the flimsiness. I bet you they are solid on a horizontal TRUNK surface. On a vertical hatch, there is a lot of weight placed on the two dinky straps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My preference is 2" hitch since it's more solid and compatible with my other 2" trailers and whatnots. They make adapters to fit smaller bike racks into the larger receiver, though I bought a 2" 4-spot bike rack.
Same here. With a rack with solid 2" arm to fit.
The smaller ones bounce around too much, and an adapter could make it worse.
At least for the loads I've put on in the past.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I was able to borrow a trunk-mounted rack to test out, and after fiddling with it for the better part of an hour, I couldn't get it secure enough that I felt comfortable carrying a bike on it. It was one of the cheaper versions, but the only reason I was considering that over a hitch-mounted rack was to save money, so hitch it is. I just ordered my Draw-Tite today. For the rack, I'm thinking a Kuat Beta, partially because of price and partially because it's about half the weight of most of the other racks I've seen.
Did you end up buying the Kuat Beta? I'm in the market for a lightweight hitch mounted rack and this seems like the best to me. Any issue with the rear view camera being blocked with or without bike attached. I notice that the rack seems to be mounted slightly off center so perhaps the camera has a clear view. TIA

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Did you end up buying the Kuat Beta? I'm in the market for a lightweight hitch mounted rack and this seems like the best to me. Any issue with the rear view camera being blocked with or without bike attached. I notice that the rack seems to be mounted slightly off center so perhaps the camera has a clear view. TIA
Can't speak for that rack specifically, but don't expect a nice clear rear camera view with any hitch mounted rack. And be prepared for incessant beeping every time you put the car into "R".

I always flip my rearview mirror to "reflect" mode whenever I have bikes on my hitch mounted rack. It's kind of the opposite situation to when you have a lot of junk in the back seat that block the back window and you have to rely on the camera view.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi All,

I'm considering bike rack options for my Bolt, and I'd be interested to know what experiences other people have had. The way I see it, each option has it's pros and cons:

Roof rack: This would be the cheapest option for me because I already got crossbars for hauling a kayak, but it also seems like a more of a hassle for loading/unloading than the other options, and having the bike on the roof seems like it would create a lot more drag on the highway than having it in the back.

Hitch rack: Easy loading/unloading and easy to remove the rack when not in use, but more expensive than the other options because I'd need to add the hitch receiver.

Grateful for any advice the community can offer me.
Thanks,
Alex
You may want to have a look at this.

Saris Gran Fondo. Less than $200 USD.
Does not officially fit the Bolt EV according to Saris. Requires a minor non-permanent modification to car to prevent side strap to slip.
Using it for the second summer now.
About 3 minutes to install. 1 minute to remove. Weight is about 14 pounds. Supports 2 bikes max 35 lbs/each.
Rear wiper functional. Hatch can open with rack (even with bikes but carefully because of weight when closing).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, I posted something of interest here but, for some reason, it’s still in the purgatory, waiting for a moderator’s approval.
It seems to be a very lengthy process.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts