Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got the Bilstein B6 (street performance) rear shocks on my `19, and I'm wondering if there is an equivalent front version. I found these at Summit racing, and I'm wondering if anyone has checked whether they could be installed on the Bolt.

I gather from discussion of the Konis available from EV-MODS that the mounting holes are not identical to the Cruze, but I'd appreciate any information on how difficult it would be to drill a hole to install these.

Has anyone tried installing these or the Koni's yet, who could comment on what's involved?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-35-171669
- and -
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-35-171676

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've got the Bilstein B6 (street performance) rear shocks on my `19, and I'm wondering if there is an equivalent front version. I found these at Summit racing, and I'm wondering if anyone has checked whether they could be installed on the Bolt.

I gather from discussion of the Konis available from EV-MODS that the mounting holes are not identical to the Cruze, but I'd appreciate any information on how difficult it would be to drill a hole to install these.

Has anyone tried installing these or the Koni's yet, who could comment on what's involved?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-35-171669
- and -
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-35-171676
I have yet to find Bilstein, or any other manufacturer, offer front struts designed for the Bolt. I don't have measurements for an Opel Astra (which is what these part numbers appear to be for) to determine if they will fit.

I believe, IIRC, that it was a set from a Cruze on the front that was looked at previously. It's my understanding one hole lines up, and the other would need to be moved. It's possible to pull off the bottom mounting bracket from a stock set of Bolt struts and have that welded back into place on the Cruze setup if the stroke, etc. work. It *might* be possible that there is enough material to create the second hole location, but my guess is going to be you'll end up with a slot instead of a hole which will not exactly be desired though it would work. You could also weld a plate over the two holes in the bottom bracket and create both holes as needed.

My racing plans haven't yet allowed this sort of modification per their rule set, so I haven't spent the money or time to look into it further.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've sent a general contact request to Bilstein and am awaiting a response. I know some folks at GM that might be able to get me better contacts if my general request goes nowhere. If I'm making any traction on anything I'll update the forum.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I loaned my rear OE shocks to Koni. They determined that the OE shocks match the rear shocks on the Opel Corsa from Europe.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I loaned my rear OE shocks to Koni. They determined that the OE shocks match the rear shocks on the Opel Corsa from Europe.
That's good news. Does Koni (and others) make a set for that vehicle?

Bilstein responded to me:

"At this moment we do not have any product available nor do we have plans in the future for the Chevy Bolt."

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Both Koni and Bilstein make rear shocks for the 2013 Chevy Cruze, which work fine on the Bolt with the addition of a few washers.
Since the Cruze was a few hundred pounds lighter than the Bolt, Cruze-calibrated shocks will be a little less stiff than those designed for the Bolt, but that works for me, as I don't intend to track the car - I just want a bit more in the sporty direction for local twisty road use.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Both Koni and Bilstein make rear shocks for the 2013 Chevy Cruze, which work fine on the Bolt with the addition of a few washers.
Since the Cruze was a few hundred pounds lighter than the Bolt, Cruze-calibrated shocks will be a little less stiff than those designed for the Bolt, but that works for me, as I don't intend to track the car - I just want a bit more in the sporty direction for local twisty road use.
Koni reported that they used to make an adjustable Sport shock for the Opel Corsa but it has been discontinued. They do make a non-adjustable KONI Street shock that is an exact dimensional match to the OE Bolt shocks and the valving is quite similar but with more low piston speed damping control but less high speed, meaning the car will feel sportier and more taut but be more forgiving on rough roads. I installed the Koni shocks made for the Chevy Cruze. They are fantastic. Note that the lower mounting hole in the shock is larger than the OE shock mounting hole. I added a bushing to correct the mounting hole size and the necessary spacer. Attaching a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Now all we need is a front shock solution.
I still think the best front strut solution is going to be adding a plate and drilling the required holes for the Bolt, swapping the stock Bolt lower mount to a Cruze strut, or creating a new lower mount for a Cruze strut that fits the Bolt (in order of easy to more difficult).

One would need both a set of Cruze and Bolt front struts to make some measurements and determine if solution 1 will work, or if 2 is possible.

Usually I dig around online to find various manufacturer specs to conduct some initial investigation. In the case of the Cruze, there are plenty of aftermarket strut applications, and it's easy to pull up some dimensions (see picture - Cruze front strut). But in the case of the Bolt, I'm not finding anything but OEM / ACDelco parts, and there's not dimensions available for those. In fact, I'm not even finding any front struts available (ACDELCO 42664165 - front left, ACDELCO 42664166 - front right) anywhere to purchase, just backorder.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts