Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had these rear shocks installed today: Bilstein B6 Performance Series 24-171687. $131 each shipped from Summit Racing, arrived the next day: Bilstein B6 Performance Series Shocks and Struts 24-171687

A local shop installed them for me for 1.5 hours labor - very reasonable. They do require several washers to fit the Bolt, as the bracket on the swing-arm of the Cruze was apparently considerably narrower than that on the Bolt. It took eight 9/16" stainless washers at the bottom of each shock to fit properly on the Bolt - see the image.
http://oi65.tinypic.com/3343v2q.jpg

The resulting change in handling of the Bolt is very gratifying. Where my unmodified 2019 always felt reluctant to turn into a corner during enthusiastic driving, the car now feels much more willing to take a corner, there is no longer a need to adjust the line in mid-corner while the car rolls back upright, and on corner exit you just straighten out smoothly.

There is very little difference in ride - bumps are really no more noticeable. I credit Bilstein for this, as their gas-pressurized shocks are known for taking small pavement irregularities in stride, and the result is generally a better ride than Koni Yellows I've installed over the years.

Because these shocks are gas-pressurized, they do increase ride height slightly. I measured the rear wheel arch height before and after, and found a negligible 4mm increase, as I expected.

It's a great mod - makes the car feel almost BMW-like - highly recommended.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Great feedback, thanks for providing.

I had my 2019 LT out on the track this past week for a local track day. I'm certainly believing the need for a rear sway bar and would have enjoyed the upgraded rear shocks. I'd love to find out what needs to be done for the front struts... unfortunately for any SCCA (racing body) rules I've been told modifying the Cruze struts won't meet the rules. Hoping we can get a set of struts made for the Bolt soon.

Reactions: dasto

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The shocks make the car more willing to turn, and cornering considerably more predictable, but I'd add a rear sway bar in a minute if one were available.

Upgraded front shocks would reduce the effects of the rear ones, IMHO.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The shocks make the car more willing to turn, and cornering considerably more predictable, but I'd add a rear sway bar in a minute if one were available.

Upgraded front shocks would reduce the effects of the rear ones, IMHO.
Well... my intent would be to get these simply because they are Bilstein. From there I'd gut them, and build up a valve stack out of their parts catalog to suit my needs for racing... so, to each their own.

There has been some discussion about the Whilteline Cruze rear sway bar and its use on a Bolt. There appears to be some build variations across the Bolts as to how that area of the vehicle is assembled, so be careful before purchasing and going down that road. The rear sway bar would be a huge help though.

Reactions: One1whaoo.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read somewhere on the forum that the later Bolts may not fit the Cruze bar - that's why I'm reluctant to be the first to try it on my 2019.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mmm, new rear shocks are so so tempting, but this is supposed to be my staid tame middle age car.

Anyway, if I was to take a pair of these to some random mechanic, would they be knowledgeable enough to know it might need extra washers to fit properly, or am I going to have to talk them through it?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't think of these as making the car into a sports car, they just make it more predictable when cornering, with less adjustment needed during the corner.
When the mechanic holds the shocks up to the bracket at the bottom it's pretty obvious that the shocks are narrower than the bracket. I'd go to a hardware store, get 16 to 20 9/16" stainless washers, and give them to the shop along with the shocks. If needed, print the picture and show them. (I brought eight washers, but that was only enough for one side.)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Search for the other thread re. swaybars.
That Cruze bar doesn't fit the Bolt as supplied: you need to drill a hole through one of the spring-steel bar-ends, which is likely to de-temper and weaken it.
Further, at least one person has stated that it won't fit a 2019 Bolt, as the spring perch holes have apparently changed on the later cars.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Search for the other thread re. swaybars.
That Cruze bar doesn't fit the Bolt as supplied: you need to drill a hole through one of the spring-steel bar-ends, which is likely to de-temper and weaken it.
Further, at least one person has stated that it won't fit a 2019 Bolt, as the spring perch holes have apparently changed on the later cars.
Well that stinks since I was thinking of getting one for my 2018. I will try to contact EV-Mods on Monday but in the meantime could you measure your center to center hole distance so I can compare?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well that stinks since I was thinking of getting one for my 2018. I will try to contact EV-Mods on Monday but in the meantime could you measure your center to center hole distance so I can compare?
If I understand it correctly, the issue isn't the center-to-center distance of the springs, but the shape of the hole in the spring perch of the later cars, which has reportedly become D-shaped rather than round, and won't fit the end-bracket that comes with the bar. Here's the post: https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/9-2...ormance-pkg-supersport-oem-10.html#post493225

Please let us know what you find out, as I'd like to install one too, if I can find a machine shop that would drill spring steel without overheating it, and if EV-MODS would publish the location to drill the extra hole, and if the Whiteline threaded boss could be filed down to fit.

Or perhaps we could persuade Whiteline to produce one actually designed for the Bolt - mail a request to this address "Whiteline Support (USA)" <[email protected]>

·
Registered
47 Posts
Whiteline

If I understand it correctly, the issue isn't the center-to-center distance of the springs, but the shape of the hole in the spring perch of the later cars, which has reportedly become D-shaped rather than round, and won't fit the end-bracket that comes with the bar. Here's the post: https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/9-2...ormance-pkg-supersport-oem-10.html#post493225

Please let us know what you find out, as I'd like to install one too, if I can find a machine shop that would drill spring steel without overheating it, and if EV-MODS would publish the location to drill the extra hole, and if the Whiteline threaded boss could be filed down to fit.

Or perhaps we could persuade Whiteline to produce one actually designed for the Bolt - mail a request to this address "Whiteline Support (USA)" <[email protected]>
I already asked Whiteline twice if they would drill holes to my specification or send a bar without holes. They said "no" to both requests.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I already asked Whiteline twice if they would drill holes to my specification or send a bar without holes. They said "no" to both requests.
But maybe you are asking the wrong question. It is one thing to make a one-off product for a single customer. It is another to make it for a particular model of car which has the potential for hundreds of customers. Maybe if a bunch of people start asking about the Bolt, they will know that there is a market out there more than one person deep, and be more willing to make the adjustments.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Tried to contact EV-MODS about sway bar. Left very clear message on phone with my e-mail. No answer. Seems like both drilling a new hole and change of cole spring locator hole is a buzz kill. Sorry. A have a front sway bar from a Porsche 924. I wonder if.......

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had responses to email from both Whiteline USA and EV-MODS. The phone takes more time and is less likely to be answered.
Please email Whiteline and request that a bar be developed for the Bolt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did this help overall ride quality? I find the ride on the Bolt unrefined. I don't necessarily need ultimate performance but I feel like better shock tuning might help the car all around.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did this help overall ride quality? I find the ride on the Bolt unrefined. I don't necessarily need ultimate performance but I feel like better shock tuning might help the car all around.
Didn't change it appreciably. Better-controlled body roll is the main change, for more control over cornering.

·
Registered
45 Posts
At the risk of resurrecting an old thread - any opinions on this?

I'd like to go with upgraded rear shocks. I'm a huge fan of Bilstein and I know that One1Wahoo. has gone with the Bilstein B6 24-171687 (Cruze fitment). However others (including EV-MODS) offer a Koni equivalent. While I would love to have Bilsteins in there, I wonder if a shock intended for the much-lighter Cruze might be under-damped; hence would an adjustable Koni be a better choice for retrofitting into a Bolt, than a non-adjustable Bilstein, since it can be dialed up a bit?

Thanks for your advice..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts