Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2017 Bolt EV, 2021 VW ID.4
16 Posts
I got Konis for the rear of my 2020. It was pretty easy to adjust them before installation. I set them full soft, and I found that was a very comfortable setting. With the rear sway bar added, the handling is quite acceptable with improved ride comfort overall.
Which model Koni shock did you get? If you have a link, that is even better - thanks!

Edit: EV-Mods has the Bilstein shocks on sale for $220 / pair - so I have ordered them.

Bilstein B6 Rear Shocks Chevy Bolt, Chevy Cruze (Rear Pair)

· Registered
16 Posts
Right - for rear seat passengers, going over some dips / bumps in the road would cause their necks to be jarred way too often; and has done ever since we bought it new. And our 2017 Bolt has about 65k miles on it - shocks wear out. I will probably order the Koni shocks, and then consider the rear sway bar.

How many settings are there on the Koni shocks for damping adjustment?

Edit: I just ordered the Koni shocks from Shock Warehouse:

KONI 8240 1293SPORT Rear Sport (Yellow) - Shockwarehouse.com

The price was $113.21 each, so under $227 shipped.

· Registered
16 Posts
It's a continuous adjustment. You have to compress, and hold, the shaft down until it engages an adjustment slot inside the shock then turn it left or right (can't remember which way) until it stops to get the least rebound dampening effect. If possible you can then compress them both together and release to see that they expand/rebound at about the same rate.

When reinstalling be sure to use max torque on the bottom bolt to reduce chance for up and down movement since that hole in the Koni is larger than the original shock hole, or shim up the hole to fit better. FYI the bottom bolt screws into a captive nut, so don't bend any tools trying to loosen the nut.
Okay - thanks. I will have to see what the clearance is on the bottom bolt, and shim it if needed. Is the width about correct on the Koni?

· Registered
16 Posts
Bump - there are NO Bilstein or Koni rear shocks available anywhere here in the US - as far I can tell. Has anyone tried the Monroe shocks or any other better-than-OEM shocks?

PLEASE let us know, if you have a solution?

· Registered
16 Posts
The good news for me, though - is the front struts are much better than the rear shocks. Though I'm sure they can be improved, so yes I will be looking to replace them after the rears are installed.

· Registered
16 Posts
EV-Mods definitely does NOT have the Bilsteins - I ordered them two different times from them and both times they canceled my order due to lack of stock.

I will cross my fingers that Summit has them! I just ordered a pair ...

· Registered
16 Posts
The Bilstein shocks have shipped from Summit Racing!

So if you need these - there are only 3 shocks available ...

Hopefully this situation gets better - there are a lot of Bolt EVs out there.

· Registered
16 Posts
I received my Bilstein B6 shocks last week, and I installed them on Sunday! I had much thinner stainless steel washers, so it took 8 per shock. They installed really easily - jacked up the car, removed the rear wheel, removed the 18mm bolt, removed the two 13mm bolts at the top, removed the nut at the top of the stock shocks, transferred the bracket with its plastic sleeve and the foam bumper stop to the new shock. Reinstalled in the two 13mm bolts at the top, put the wheel back on, and lowered the jack slightly to push the bottom mount up into alignment with the eyelet, put the washers on each side, and tightened the 18mm bolt. Repeat for the other side. I put a bit of Loctite Blue on the bottom bolt for our friend Justin Case.

The ride is much better, and the handling is also much better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts