Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
At the risk of resurrecting an old thread - any opinions on this?

I'd like to go with upgraded rear shocks. I'm a huge fan of Bilstein and I know that One1Wahoo. has gone with the Bilstein B6 24-171687 (Cruze fitment). However others (including EV-MODS) offer a Koni equivalent. While I would love to have Bilsteins in there, I wonder if a shock intended for the much-lighter Cruze might be under-damped; hence would an adjustable Koni be a better choice for retrofitting into a Bolt, than a non-adjustable Bilstein, since it can be dialed up a bit?

Thanks for your advice..
Take a look at the rear shocks, and try to imagine how you would get the Koni adjustment knob in place and turn it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Take a look at the rear shocks, and try to imagine how you would get the Koni adjustment knob in place and turn it.
Agreed, I was just looking at the Koni documentation - the rears apparently don't have a knob. You have to remove the shock, fully compress it to engage the valve adjuster, and twist shock body relative to the shock rod to adjust it. I suppose you could just unbolt the bottom and do the adjustment, but it still sounds like a total PITA. I don't even know how you could expect to compress it by hand.

The BC coilover rear shocks had a better adjustment system - there actually is a knob at the top that is easily accessible inside the wheel well. I played with it a bit while I had the BCs installed. The downside to that method that is that you can't keep the debris boot, which would prevent access to the knob. That might not be a great idea here in the snow belt (with road salt/sand/etc) for a winter daily-driver.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just drove home my 2020 bolt tonight. good priced lease in san diego. I immediately noticed something that my wife will be sure to complain about enough to not ride in the bolt. if you put your head back in the headrest there is considerably sway movement to your head. will this sway bar lessen that effect?
thanks
woody
No, you need to bend the headrest supports backward, as you will find documented here somewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Agreed, I was just looking at the Koni documentation - the rears apparently don't have a knob. You have to remove the shock, fully compress it to engage the valve adjuster, and twist shock body relative to the shock rod to adjust it. I suppose you could just unbolt the bottom and do the adjustment, but it still sounds like a total PITA. I don't even know how you could expect to compress it by hand.

The BC coilover rear shocks had a better adjustment system - there actually is a knob at the top that is easily accessible inside the wheel well. I played with it a bit while I had the BCs installed. The downside to that method that is that you can't keep the debris boot, which would prevent access to the knob. That might not be a great idea here in the snow belt (with road salt/sand/etc) for a winter daily-driver.
I got Konis for the rear of my 2020. It was pretty easy to adjust them before installation. I set them full soft, and I found that was a very comfortable setting. With the rear sway bar added, the handling is quite acceptable with improved ride comfort overall.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
No, you need to bend the headrest supports backward, as you will find documented here somewhere.
I've seen several complaints about this on the forum over the years, and they always puzzle me a bit. When I have my seat set nice and comfortably there's a good inch or more between my head and the headrest. Other people must adjust the seat a lot more upright than I do. Perhaps it's because I have relatively short limbs - my seat is probably further forward than a lot of folks and I have the steering wheel fully extended toward me.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Do they offer Shocks for front as well? I would consider this as a replacement (all 4 shocks) if I keep the car 5+ years and I need new shocks and tires.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts