Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's a continuous adjustment. You have to compress, and hold, the shaft down until it engages an adjustment slot inside the shock then turn it left or right (can't remember which way) until it stops to get the least rebound dampening effect. If possible you can then compress them both together and release to see that they expand/rebound at about the same rate.

When reinstalling be sure to use max torque on the bottom bolt to reduce chance for up and down movement since that hole in the Koni is larger than the original shock hole, or shim up the hole to fit better. FYI the bottom bolt screws into a captive nut, so don't bend any tools trying to loosen the nut.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV, 2021 VW ID.4
12 Posts
It's a continuous adjustment. You have to compress, and hold, the shaft down until it engages an adjustment slot inside the shock then turn it left or right (can't remember which way) until it stops to get the least rebound dampening effect. If possible you can then compress them both together and release to see that they expand/rebound at about the same rate.

When reinstalling be sure to use max torque on the bottom bolt to reduce chance for up and down movement since that hole in the Koni is larger than the original shock hole, or shim up the hole to fit better. FYI the bottom bolt screws into a captive nut, so don't bend any tools trying to loosen the nut.
Okay - thanks. I will have to see what the clearance is on the bottom bolt, and shim it if needed. Is the width about correct on the Koni?

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Never understood why people replace perfectly good parts on a new car.
Some people want better parts than the crappy ones that came with the car. Okay... maybe not always replacing crappy parts, just parts that are an improvement over the original ones. Personally, I'm too cheap to do it unless there is a substantial benefit or it's just cheap enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bump - there are NO Bilstein or Koni rear shocks available anywhere here in the US - as far I can tell. Has anyone tried the Monroe shocks or any other better-than-OEM shocks?

PLEASE let us know, if you have a solution?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Koni Shocks and Struts 8240 1293SPORT $145.08
Ships Directly From Supplier
Estimated Ship Date: Dec 8, 2022
[/QuotE

I installed those same shocks, set to full soft, and found that the rear ride quality was noticeably improved. Too bad I couldn't find front replacements with similar effect. These shocks were as good as adding an extra 400 lbs of weight in the trunk.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The good news for me, though - is the front struts are much better than the rear shocks. Though I'm sure they can be improved, so yes I will be looking to replace them after the rears are installed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The shocks make the car more willing to turn, and cornering considerably more predictable, but I'd add a rear sway bar in a minute if one were available.

Upgraded front shocks would reduce the effects of the rear ones, IMHO.
Lately, my front passenger side is been rattling at cruise speed ~15-25mph...and I wanted to swap out a pair of softer shocks, as close to air suspension as possible LoL...can anyone recommend brand that would fit out first generation bolts? Thanks 🙏

·
Registered
5 Posts
At the risk of resurrecting an old thread - any opinions on this?

I'd like to go with upgraded rear shocks. I'm a huge fan of Bilstein and I know that One1Wahoo. has gone with the Bilstein B6 24-171687 (Cruze fitment). However others (including EV-MODS) offer a Koni equivalent. While I would love to have Bilsteins in there, I wonder if a shock intended for the much-lighter Cruze might be under-damped; hence would an adjustable Koni be a better choice for retrofitting into a Bolt, than a non-adjustable Bilstein, since it can be dialed up a bit?

Thanks for your advice..
Lately, my front passenger side is been rattling at cruise speed ~15-25mph...and I wanted to swap out a pair of softer shocks, as close to air suspension as possible LoL...can anyone recommend brand that would fit out first generation bolts? Thanks 🙏

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EV 2LT
806 Posts
I would like to just tame the rear bounce on my EV, 22 now, 21 was the same. Front is fine.
Like riding around with a full diaper....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Options for the front are OEM or full on coilovers. Nobody makes any alternatives.

·
Registered
12 Posts
EV-Mods definitely does NOT have the Bilsteins - I ordered them two different times from them and both times they canceled my order due to lack of stock.

I will cross my fingers that Summit has them! I just ordered a pair ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Bilstein shocks have shipped from Summit Racing!

So if you need these - there are only 3 shocks available ...

Hopefully this situation gets better - there are a lot of Bolt EVs out there.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts