Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a black Bolt, and put the black Chevy emblems on it front and rear, but I wanted to get rid of the gold bowties on the wheel center caps.

I couldn't find any with black bowtie on silver, but there is a GM partno for "chrome" bowtie on a black background: 22791586. This fits on the Bolt and Cruze Eco wheels, although it is 1/8" larger outside diameter, so it does not fit flush like OEM. Instead, it bulges 1/8" or so, but it snaps into place, and fits solidly - it could be stock, from the appearance.

Should be on the Must Have list for anyone murdering out the car - perfect for black wheels.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm considering either: a) complete vinyl wrap entire center cap or b) vinyl wrap just the emblem.

I've already purchased the vinyl wrap for the "grill" and hatchback bowties but started to noticed the wheels had bowties as well. Easiest is option A but then it looks kind of odd with a big black dot in the middle of your wheel. For anyone murdering out with black wheels, this option is very doable. Just suction cup off the center caps and wrap with vinyl. I'm going to attempt it anyway on my OEM silver wheels and take a picture and post back on a new thread. Waiting for some good weather before I do attempt it, however, so maybe next week I'll have it done and posted.

Option B might be hit-or-miss since the area is so small to do and I don't recall seeing many people do such a small area. I will attempt it as well. Since the yellow bowties aren't as noticeable on the silver rim, I may just leave them as it. It's the yellow bow tie on the black grill and black hatchback that stands out so much that I want to get rid off first.

I'm also planning on blacking out the bow tie on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nice, SteveCaz! Did you use traditional paint or did you plastidip it? Also, I was going to try using a suction cup from a phone mount to remove the cap versus the older method of using tape. How did you remove your caps?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I found the paint # for the Kinetic Blue and bought a kit that came with primer the base color and clear coat. Taped them off and followed the instructions. Did it over a couple of days. I also have a Volt that has after market rims on it. I still have the factory rims and used the caps from them. I have not tried to pull out the ones on the Bolt. Need a tire rotation and figured that would be best time to swap.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The center caps mentioned in the first post fit perfectly in the Cruze Eco wheels and that looks good on my black Bolt, but while they can be pushed into place on the OEM Bolt wheels, they won't stay put. The little prongs aren't long enough to hold it in place.

I tried to glue them in, but the glue just lubricated the prongs and the caps popped out again. Sigh.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The vinyl is a bit tricky on the smaller bowties, but it's not all that hard. Just warm it up a bit and fit it into the texture and then use a very sharp blade to cut around the perimeter. I smile every time I look at the wheels ever since I did them in blue to match the front and rear bowties and the racing stripes. I got a bit carried away and did the key too.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts