Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I thought I would share this DIY with the group and what I learned.

When I purchased my bolt I saw the option for black bowties and the price and I said, yeah um no! Then I saw people talking about a DIY job and watch a bunch of videos and learned. Here is what I did;

In canada for some greedy reason a can of plasti-dip is 23 bucks! But the krylon flexidip is only 12.00 so that was the decision made for me. I did not want the black glossy so I did not need the second 23.00 can of plasti-dip glossifier!

I cant express more to mask mask and then mask you car some more. Overspray is everywhere. Second, read the instructions on the can. It tells you what to do. basically 3-4 thin coats then a final full coat. in the end it needs to be reasonably thick as that it the key to being able to peel it off easily.

When spraying the emblem you need to spray from each of the 4 angles to cover the 3d aspect of the emblem. If you spray perpendicular you will not cover edges/sides that need covering.

If you screw it up make sure there enough sprayed on so you can peel it off and restart. If its too thin it wont peel off easy. Therefore wherever you spray even the parts you are peeling off need to be done the same. The first try i did not spray it at the edges properly and the logo was not cleaned well and had some fish eyes so i need to peel it off and restart. It was a pain to try to peel it off. I just sprayed more until it was easy

The original video I watched is the way I masked it in the first picture, and when i tried peeling the outside off the glass and the side edge of the chrome logo it was a royal pain in the a$$. So i thought why spray on the car if you are peeling off from the chrome of the emblem so the second and third time i masked it on the chrome and it worked much better.

Make sure you have cleaned the emblem thoroughly. And the first coat as stated should be light, about 50% coverage.

In the end the pictures show the mask i made on the chrome

Gently peel away whats on the crome pulling in parallel directions to the edge/ridge where the gold is, being especially carefull on corners. Dont worry though if you screw it up just peel it all off and start again. :)

Lastly if you look a the front hood and the kraft paper mask it was still not enough to prevent overspray on the hood above the mask! That is because some paint strokes were in an upward direction. The can states to use Naptha to clean it up. I used a microfibre cloth with a tiny bit of naptha and it cleaned it right off.

In the end it looks much better than the gold.

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
One more thing. I used a heat gun at its lowest setting to quickly dry the coats. As soon as its all matt then you can spray again. A hair dryer would work just fine too. You just want to move warm air.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, that looks neat! Do you know if I can use the same plasti-dip paint for my wheels? I want to paint the black too.
Yes plasti-dip is the "coke" of rubberized paints. I would have used it first but the markup in Canada is stupid. Krylons made a competing product called flexidip. Home Depot sells both.

Yes you can, I completely blacked out my Bolt, chrome trim, roof rails, emblems and wheels.
That looks good. was thinking of doing the rims next. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I purchased my bolt I saw the option for black bowties and the price and I said, yeah um no! Then I saw people talking about a DIY job and watch a bunch of videos and learned.

In the end it looks much better than the gold.
Looks good! Next you might want to black out the bowtie on the center caps of each wheel. The logo will visually 'pop' better than it does with the gold inner fill. I'm thinking about doing it to my Bolt's wheels which I had powdercoated gloss black; it's my Chevy and I'm proud of it... ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes you can, I completely blacked out my Bolt, chrome trim, roof rails, emblems and wheels.
Looks fantastic. Does the coating hold up pretty much over time?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have had mine on for about 4 months and haven't seen any issues with it yet. I stay away from the high pressure car washes though and just do hand washes.
I've been through 4 high pressure washes and have had my plastidip'd bowties for about 1.5 months. I only blacked-out the gold part and left the silver outline alone. No issues yet.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks good! Next you might want to black out the bowtie on the center caps of each wheel. The logo will visually 'pop' better than it does with the gold inner fill. I'm thinking about doing it to my Bolt's wheels which I had powdercoated gloss black; it's my Chevy and I'm proud of it... ;)

I love the powedrcoat! How much did that cost you?

PS How did you manage to embed the pic rather than attachment, never figured out how to do that !

·
Registered
25 Posts
cost of powdercoat was $150 + $20 tire fee per wheel for a total of $680. Semi-gloss black would also look good, bridging the glossy black of the beltline strip with the matte look of the plastic rocker panel/wheel cutout trim.

I post the images from another website dedicated to personal photography. There, you can download pictures from your camera into a personal 'album', and from there you can copy pictures and paste into other website chatrooms like this one. Here's another pasted image.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts