Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Agreed, but local charging is a bit of a gimmick anyhow. Nobody on a long journey is going to wait around for a L2 charge, and nobody local should be relying on getting a few minutes of L2 to make it home.

I'm not paying 50% more for my groceries just so I can save literally 8 cents in electricity.

I have never used a public charger (or parked in an EV space) with my Prius plug-in. There was one time when there were half a dozen empty EV parking spots in a parking garage in Vegas, but I drove further to an outdoor lot to park instead, just in case EVs needed to charge. In hindsight, I should have just taken one of the many EV spots. It makes more sense to leave L2 spaces available at hotels though.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Other than home, the hotel/motel is the optimal place for a Level 2 station, that is until we have more EVs on the road. On a recent trip to the DC metro area, we drove 226 miles to a DCFC (the first on our route, with a host hotel kind enough to offer the electricity for free), then another 200 miles to the DC suburbs. At the destination hotel was a (free) Level 2 EVSE in the parking garage. Charged overnight to full. Moved the car out of the EV space. Three days later we reversed course to western WV (about 5 miles shy from as far W as you can get). Each DCFC was during a meal (leisurely supper) with a "slight" wait added.

Stopping at a McDonalds (with ONE Clipper Creek EVSE) and getting 12.5 miles of charge over a fast food meal, is NOT what the Level 2 is for. Most of our State Parks have Level 2 stations and with a 3-4 hour stay, this 75-100 miles gained may affect the go/no go decision.

Other than the length of the underground cable run and the cost of copper, I am still unsure why a home station can be put in for as little as $500 while a commercial install runs around $5000. If we can get that purchase/install cost down to around $2000, maybe we can get ALL motels to put in stations (just as they did with WiFi in the past decade, exercise rooms in the decade before, and free breakfast before that)! I now absolutely pick my motel on the basis of nearness & safety of an EVSE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts