Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Financial site Bloomberg has posted an article that estimates Tesla Model 3 production rate:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

According to Bloomberg Model 3 weekly production is over 1,000 a week. Tesla target is 5,000 per week by the end of Q2 2018.

My best guess is that Tesla will deliver around 150k - 200k Model 3 in 2018. That would mean that fewer than half of the current registration holders will take delivery in 2018.

If patience is a virtue, Model 3 reservation holders are the most virtuous people on earth.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Bolt doesn't have autopilot or a supercharger network and IMHO the Model 3 looks better, and Chevy doesn't yet do OTA updates.

for some people the Model 3 is worth the wait - the Bolt isn't that competitive if there were actual EV choices to be had and beside the Model 3 seats don't dig into my hip like the Bolt seats do...

you can all be happy with your Bolt - I'm mostly happy with mine, but tearing down Tesla just exposes your insecurities and does nothing to detract from the fact that Tesla is pushing the automotive industry forward and GM is only grudgingly going along.

·
Registered
225 Posts
tearing down Tesla just exposes your insecurities and does nothing to detract from the fact that Tesla is pushing the automotive industry forward and GM is only grudgingly going along.
I don't wish for my comment to be construed as either an insecurity or a detraction from Tesla.
I gladly loaned them $1000 for 18 months to be on the waiting list. But it was time for me to buy my next car in November, and it was certainly going to be an EV. Given that Tesla appeared nowhere close to meeting delivery goals, I was pushed toward the Bolt.
I am so surprisingly in love with my Bolt. But that doesn't detract from the admiration that I have for Tesla.
The only problems I have with the Bolt are too stiff of a suspension (a bumpy ride on uneven roads) and no ability to make a tiny beep with the horn.
The only problem I have with Tesla is their ability to set wild-eyed goals that are just untenable.

I would wish a Bolt or a Model 3 on either my best friend or my worst enemy. They are both fantastic cars, with little to detract from them.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Far from "tearing down Tesla", the Bloomberg article post is actually good news. Tesla is finally managing volume production of the Model 3, over 1,000 per week, according to Bloomberg.

It appears likely that Tesla will now be able to meet the 5,000 per week production goal in either Q2 or Q3 2018.

As for reservation holders having a much longer wait then Tesla originally indicated, that's simply a fact. Reservations were first taken in April 2016, and some first-day registrants have been notified by Tesla not to expect delivery until spring 2019.

Tesla has only itself to blame for most of the critical press articles. A company that consistenty overpromises and underdelivers leaves itself open to bad press.

It looks like both investors and reservation holders are still in Tesla's corner, and early Model 3 reviews are mostly positive, but any further erosion in the promised production schedule may jeopardize that support.

Reactions: daveo4Bolt

·
Registered
979 Posts
Bloomberg used some creative approaches in order to estimate the production volume of model 3s. If this statistic is so important, could have flown a drone and planted a web camera innocuously around the plant exit/shipping gate. Or paid off a couple of the final conditioning guys (one per shift) to disclose daily counts.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Not directed at you specifically keeperchris, but a lot of members focusing on the timelines and schedules rather than the tangibles and products is rather shortsighted don't you think? Ignore the words by Musk, Porsche, VW, GM, BMW, etc. and instead see what they've accomplished. 10 years ago, did anybody really think we would be able to drive cross country in an EV? In 2 days no less? Or re-use a rocket, build a class 8 semi that's faster than a Camaro, a 7 passenger SUV that's quicker than a Ferrari. A sedan that exceeded the 5 star safety ratings. Intercontinental supercharging network.
If all you can gripe about is missed timelines, but eventually he delivers, and usually exceeds expectations then you just don't get it. Setting improbable or nearly impossible goals will most certainly miss most if not all deadlines. So what. Take them for what they're worth and wait for the results. The lucky ones who've already taken delivery of the model 3 pretty much universally say it's worth the wait. Better than they expected. This from seasoned Model S and X owners no less.
Read up on Musk's performance benchmarks from 2012.
https://www.teslarati.com/elon-musk-tesla-targets-milestones-set-by-board/
And the newest contract is even more ambitious.
https://thehustle.co/elon-musk-performance-salary
If only GM would set their sights this high, who knows what the Bolt could have been. But heaven forbid we miss a deadline. We don't want to bite off more than we can chew.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Not directed at you specifically keeperchris, but a lot of members focusing on the timelines and schedules rather than the tangibles and products is rather shortsighted don't you think? Ignore the words by Musk, Porsche, VW, GM, BMW, etc. and instead see what they've accomplished. 10 years ago, did anybody really think we would be able to drive cross country in an EV? In 2 days no less? Or re-use a rocket, build a class 8 semi that's faster than a Camaro, a 7 passenger SUV that's quicker than a Ferrari. A sedan that exceeded the 5 star safety ratings. Intercontinental supercharging network.
If all you can gripe about is missed timelines, but eventually he delivers, and usually exceeds expectations then you just don't get it. Setting improbable or nearly impossible goals will most certainly miss most if not all deadlines. So what. Take them for what they're worth and wait for the results. The lucky ones who've already taken delivery of the model 3 pretty much universally say it's worth the wait. Better than they expected. This from seasoned Model S and X owners no less.
If only GM would set their sights this high, who knows what the Bolt could have been. But heaven forbid we miss a deadline. We don't want to bite off more than we can chew.
They're still in the honeymoon phase. It'll wear off eventually. ;)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A lot of members, me included, are greatly interested in Tesla and the Model 3 rollout, as is most of the automotive press and the business world. What’s being reported is what’s actually happening. You can call this reporting “griping”, but that’s your take on facts that are not in dispute.

It’s my sincere hope that Tesla hits one out of the park with the Model 3, and builds a million or more in the next year or two. Tesla is exactly what the industry needs, proof that there’s a market for millions of EVs, and the ability to deliver them.

What I’m not willing to do is ignore the real headwinds that Tesla faces in transforming from a relatively low volume luxury car manufacturer to a high volume mass market manufacturer. Musk himself has acknowledged that challenge, and it remains to be seen whether Tesla can pull it off. It’s not griping, it’s simply recognizing the difficulty of the task ahead, and following Tesla’s actual progress, not Tesla’s marketing spin.

As far as “GM setting their sites”. GM’s goal was to manufacture the first high mileage affordable EV. Mission accomplished, and it was delivered on time. It’s also Chevy’s most reliable car.

GM’s next goal is to become the leader in AV development, and many analysts now consider GM to be the front runner, with plans to deploy a test fleet of AVs by 2019. No other manufacturer has announced a similar plan, including Tesla.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Anyone putting down a deposit on a Tesla Model 3 today won't get it until some time in 2020, at the earliest. Those receiving Tesla Model 3s today are paying around $60,000 for them. It's tough to compare the Tesla Model 3 to the Chevy Bolt: they are very different cars aimed at different markets. Perhaps the only things they have in common are range and power.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't wish for my comment to be construed as either an insecurity or a detraction from Tesla.
I am so surprisingly in love with my Bolt. But that doesn't detract from the admiration that I have for Tesla.
I would wish a Bolt or a Model 3 on either my best friend or my worst enemy. They are both fantastic cars, with little to detract from them.
Not directed at you specifically keeperchris, but a lot of members focusing on the timelines and schedules rather than the tangibles and products is rather shortsighted don't you think? Ignore the words by Musk, Porsche, VW, GM, BMW, etc. and instead see what they've accomplished.

Thanks Dyefrog. Still a huge Tesla fan, as I said. Still happy to have given them a $1000 zero-interest loan.
Just happy that GM also made an awesome Bolt EV that I am genuinely in love with.
I bought my EV to both do good, and to encourage the automakers to continue their pursuit.
Continue to be pleasantly surprised at how awesome my Bolt is. No detraction from either, only admiration.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone putting down a deposit on a Tesla Model 3 today won't get it until some time in 2020, at the earliest. Those receiving Tesla Model 3s today are paying around $60,000 for them. It's tough to compare the Tesla Model 3 to the Chevy Bolt: they are very different cars aimed at different markets. Perhaps the only things they have in common are range and power.
Tesla has promised a production capacity of 10,000 Model 3 cars a week. If they hit that target by the end of 2018, all pending Model 3 orders should be filled by mid-2019. That assumes that everyone on the waiting list goes through with a purchase.

The $7500 federal tax credit will start to phase-out some time in 2018, so some with a deposit might decide against purchasing, especially once the tax credit fully phases out some time in 2019. Of course, if the Model 3 is a huge hit they’ll be plenty of buyers in line to replace those with cold feet.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Bolt doesn't have autopilot or a supercharger network and IMHO the Model 3 looks better, and Chevy doesn't yet do OTA updates.

for some people the Model 3 is worth the wait - the Bolt isn't that competitive if there were actual EV choices to be had and beside the Model 3 seats don't dig into my hip like the Bolt seats do...

you can all be happy with your Bolt - I'm mostly happy with mine, but tearing down Tesla just exposes your insecurities and does nothing to detract from the fact that Tesla is pushing the automotive industry forward and GM is only grudgingly going along.
Autopilot, huh ... :)

Of course Model 3 looks better. It's a beautiful car. I mean, throw in a little extra style and glamor and you get almost here:

https://cars.usnews.com/static/images/Auto/izmo/288251/2007_hyundai_elantra_angularfront.jpg

·
Registered
770 Posts
Still a huge Tesla fan, as I said. Still happy to have given them a $1000 zero-interest loan.
How 'huge' of a fan are you? What would it be worth to you to take delivery of your TM3 in less than 60 days from today?

Would you consider swapping your rez and some $$$ for a day one rez? ...to be actually driving, and not waiting? Just wondering :rolleyes:

I'm not sayin', but I'm just sayin'

·
Registered
392 Posts
Is this a Bolt forum or a Tesla Forum? WTF are so may tesla dsicussions doing here? I am here because I own a Bolt. I am not here to hear opinions and lovefests on a car I would never buy nor really care about.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Some people enjoy B-school cases. As GlenandhisBolt1 mentioned, range and power are the only commonalities between Bolt and Model 3.

Certainly not uniqueness. When the Tesla model 3 becomes more commonplace on the roads some of it’s sparkle is bound to wear off. Meanwhile it’ll still be a fairly unusual event to see a Bolt outside of California. Not that one gets noticed much in a Bolt anyway.

No doubt the model 3 is a great looking vehicle in and of itself. But part of the value of ownership to many people, admittedly or not, is the “look at I/me, or mines better than yours” factor. Will be interesting to see if model 3 is able to maintain distinctiveness given relatively high numbers of them.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The sad part about all of these Tesla Model 3 production numbers is they are all speculation - even the production that has already been completed. Unlike most car manufacturers, Tesla doesn't publicly release their production numbers. This is a slap in the face to all Tesla stockholders.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-3-production-is-a-mystery-and-that-2018-2

BTW: I live within twenty miles of the Tesla plant. I have seen a total of three Tesla Model 3s in the wild. Only one appeared to be a regular production vehicle (not an employee car). I saw it last week.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
If all you can gripe about is missed timelines, but eventually he delivers, and usually exceeds expectations then you just don't get it. Setting improbable or nearly impossible goals will most certainly miss most if not all deadlines. So what. Take them for what they're worth and wait for the results...

...If only GM would set their sights this high, who knows what the Bolt could have been. But heaven forbid we miss a deadline. We don't want to bite off more than we can chew.
All of what you say is more or less true, but you have to admit the real truth. GM could never have done what Tesla has done. Mercedes could never have done what Tesla has done. VW couldn't have done it. Ford couldn't have done it. Toyota couldn't have done it. Hyundai couldn't have done it. Honda couldn't have done it and finally, Tesla couldn't have done it either... without Elon Musk. There is only one Elon Musk. Tesla gets the luxury of playing by a different set of rules because they have Elon Musk.

Elon Musk is a once in a 100 years kind of guy. He is a visionary, a showman and a very talented salesman. He and he alone allows Tesla to take big risks, to defy common investor wisdom, to miss deadlines, to go way into debt, to lose money by the truck load... and still command attention and investor patience. No other company on the planet can do this.

To say what if GM had done what Tesla has done is poppycock. It's just fantasy nonsense. Anybody running GM that produced an electric two seat roadster that lost loads of money on each one sold and then told the world that they were now going to work on an all electric luxury sedan and a charging network to go with it, would have caused stock prices to plummet, gotten loads of negative press, and whoever was running GM would have been crucified and booted out of GM pronto.

There is no Silicon Valley secret sauce, or team of geniuses. It's all about the Musk.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Is this a Bolt forum or a Tesla Forum? WTF are so may tesla dsicussions doing here? I am here because I own a Bolt. I am not here to hear opinions and lovefests on a car I would never buy nor really care about.
... and yet you went in here and commented despite the thread title clearly identifying what the thread was about. Perhaps you have no interest in Tesla, but that doesn't mean others aren't interested.

GM could never have done what Tesla has done... Tesla gets the luxury of playing by a different set of rules because they have Elon Musk.

...There is no Silicon Valley secret sauce, or team of geniuses. It's all about the Musk.
It takes a high degree of genius, a high degree of opportunity, and a high degree of risk to do what Musk has done. Had he been lacking in any of those things, his lofty goals would have been entirely foolish.

Established businesses cannot take those kind of risks because they have an obligation to their customers, employees, and investors to make smaller changes to their proven winning strategy rather than go all in on a new idea.

A new business has the luxury (and obligation) to try doing things differently, with the (likely) risk of total failure.

1 - 20 of 358 Posts