Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little annoyed that I have to select Bluetooth source each time I start the car. My friend's BMW just connects the phone and starts playing. The Bolt switches to radio every time. I must make a suggestion to them for a future update.

If the last source played was Bluetooth when the car is powered off, when you power on, pause for a moment while you connect Bluetooth. If it's the same device, resume audio. If there is no device, or a different device, then power off audio.

Obviously allow the driver to change source during the handshake if they choose.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Tried to see if there's a way to automatically pair a phone in the owner's manual and there doesn't seem to be a feature like that. Guess we're just stuck with paring the device every time you get into the car. There's always the auxiliary input in the center console.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am trying to decide to go with USB cable, which gives the full Apple Car Play menu but requires me to plug it in and remember to take it out when I leave the car, or just use the blue tooth connection, which has fewer options. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tried to see if there's a way to automatically pair a phone in the owner's manual and there doesn't seem to be a feature like that. Guess we're just stuck with paring the device every time you get into the car. There's always the auxiliary input in the center console.
Hmm. My iPhone 7 auto-pairs every time I get in the car. Maybe some issue with your phone?

·
Registered
508 Posts
My iPhone 6 connects with Blue Tooth automatically, but if I want Apple Car Play it requires USB connection. From reading the manual, I think that is how things are. With Blue Tooth it plays iTunes and I can make and receive phone calls, but not get Siri and maps. At least that is my understanding.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My Spark EV does the same thing. Just wait until you start screaming at the radio every morning. I think this "feature" is probably in the GM-SiriusXM contract. I consider it a forced advertisement for XM. It seems like a small issue, but this interface decision is a big downer for me.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'm a new owner and noticed that when I turn the car on it goes to FM radio every time. I'd like it to go to the last thing I was playing... ie bluetooth audio from my cell phone. My honda takes off playing music from my phone each time I crank it.... am I missing something on the Bolt?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hmm. My iPhone 7 auto-pairs every time I get in the car. Maybe some issue with your phone?
i think OP is referring to the fact that if you're listening to your phone's media via bluetooth when you turn off the car, it defaults back to FM when you restart it. you have to reselect the bluetooth source.

i also find this very annoying. i had an alpine head unit in my previous car, and it would pick up with bluetooth right where you left off.

the other thing i find annoying is that when you push the FWD button to skip to the next track, it fades in over about the first second. i have no idea the reasoning behind that.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Bumping this thread.... has anyone come up with a hack to make bluetooth playback auto resume? Every time I get in the car, I hit the "call siri" button and say "play music" or "play audio book" as a stopgap. still...... irritating.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bumping this thread.... has anyone come up with a hack to make bluetooth playback auto resume? Every time I get in the car, I hit the "call siri" button and say "play music" or "play audio book" as a stopgap. still...... irritating.

Odd. I have the opposite problem with *some* of our phones. The Android 8.1 phone always pairs automatically, but leaves the infotainment on radio. The Apple products we have (ipod Touch, iPhone 6s and iPhone 7) automatically pair, and switch the source to the device and begins playing. While it may not be configurable, I suspect that the device has a hand in the behavior.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Odd. I have the opposite problem with *some* of our phones. The Android 8.1 phone always pairs automatically, but leaves the infotainment on radio. The Apple products we have (ipod Touch, iPhone 6s and iPhone 7) automatically pair, and switch the source to the device. While it may not be configurable, I suspect that the device has a hand in the behavior.
My Honda Bolt did it perfectly.... it just started playing a few seconds after the car was cranked up. Honda Civic did it just as well too. Not sure why Chevy did this.... but it is a not a phone thing... it is a chevy bolt thing.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Carplay auto resumes whatever I had playing last, i'm not sure what it would do just being connected to bluetooth though since I always plug in to have Carplay. Not sure if order of operation is playing part of it though. I get in, put my phone in the phone hole, plug it in, power on the car.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My Honda Bolt did it perfectly.... it just started playing a few seconds after the car was cranked up. Honda Civic did it just as well too. Not sure why Chevy did this.... but it is a not a phone thing... it is a chevy bolt thing.

That's not clear to me. I experience differences in BT behavior between devices all the time, and not just with the Bolt. While I'm not claiming that Chevrolet has no culpability here, there are enough variations in radio implementations, OS implementations and BT profiles that it's not possible to test all combinations.

As mentioned above we have several devices that behave the way the OP wanted, and I actually hate it. I want my phone to pair for telephone calls on car start, but I'd prefer it stay on the last source for audio. This is what happens on my Android phone, which pairs, but doesn't change source.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I did a little digging and found the email address of a fellow named Tom Wickham at the Orion Plant in Michigan. I asked him about how to get ahold of the development team to ask about this bluetooth issue and despite being on vacation this week, here was the answer I got from him.

Thanks for the note. I’ll pass it along to the audio team and see if there is a fix. Probably can be done over the air. I’ll let you know. And I am always happy helping customers when I am off work. I’m thrilled you like the Bolt. It’s a great vehicle.

Take care.
Tom

I'm not publishing his email here, but it is easy to find. Bear in mind he is on vacation right now, so let's not aggravate him. I wish he would have passed along the contact info for the development team but he didn't. Maybe, just maybe they can fix this for us!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I did a little digging and found the email address of a fellow named Tom Wickham at the Orion Plant in Michigan. I asked him about how to get ahold of the development team to ask about this bluetooth issue and despite being on vacation this week, here was the answer I got from him.

Thanks for the note. I’ll pass it along to the audio team and see if there is a fix. Probably can be done over the air. I’ll let you know. And I am always happy helping customers when I am off work. I’m thrilled you like the Bolt. It’s a great vehicle.

Take care.
Tom

I'm not publishing his email here, but it is easy to find. Bear in mind he is on vacation right now, so let's not aggravate him. I wish he would have passed along the contact info for the development team but he didn't. Maybe, just maybe they can fix this for us!

There is a reason he doesn't pass along the contact info for the development team, they have work to do. If dev teams handed their contact info out to everyone that wanted it, nothing would ever get developed. So I would not fret about that, he or someone else is there to field requests like this and funnel it down as appropriate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Odd. I have the opposite problem with *some* of our phones. The Android 8.1 phone always pairs automatically, but leaves the infotainment on radio. The Apple products we have (ipod Touch, iPhone 6s and iPhone 7) automatically pair, and switch the source to the device and begins playing. While it may not be configurable, I suspect that the device has a hand in the behavior.
^^This!

I just had a buddy with an iPhone 8 pair his phone to my Bolt. He then fired up Amazon Music and I switched to Bluetooth on the Bolt - music played fine. Turned off the car for a bit, and then got back in later and when the Bolt fired up, it went to Radio. Then a few seconds later his phone paired, and the Bolt automatically switched to Bluetooth and his phone started playing Amazon Music again where it left off.

That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for - but it doesn't do that on Android!!!!!! My Google Pixel, and my friend's Pixel 2 don't do that. They pair, connect, and the Bolt just stays on Radio - even though the Android phone is showing it's playing music.

So is it an Android issue? A Bluetooth stack problem with Android? Or the Bolt?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Huh.
My Samsung Galaxy 4 running android auto and Bluetooth - does amazon music well.
When I plug in to the console usb, up comes android auto and amazon music.
When I unplug, it drops my phone connection.
When I plug back in it works again.
I am able to switch to FM then back to my phone, amazon music. Larry

·
Registered
108 Posts

Take care.
Tom

"Whenever you call out a tech who's not on call, God kills a kitten. " -anon

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts