Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
66352AB4-3925-49A1-96DF-B4973A239E1A.jpeg This is the image I get from the rear view camera in the 2017 Bolt EV. Is this much blurriness normal? I can't actually see what is in back of me.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
The camera lens is dirty. The Premier apparently has a washer nozzle that sprays the lens when you spray the rear window. Our 2017 Bolt LT has no such device. If the lens gets dirty I wipe it off with a damp tissue. It is next to the hatch release button, above the license plate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done all of that to no avail. I wipe it off every time I drive it because we drive mostly on dirt roads here in VT. So the lens is NOT dirty.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Weird. Almost looks like the focus is messed up. Is it Blurry or is it blank and we are just seeing reflections off the screen?

maybe try resetting the infotainment center to see if it will reset something to correct it. I havent seen this issue before.
Alos, maybe turn off the camera in the settings, and then later reactivate it to see if anything changes. I think you can turn it off anyway, not positive.

·
Registered
832 Posts
My other guess, aside from the suggestions posted above, is fungus. It can happen to any camera lens. If the fungus is on the outside element (ie, the part of the lens that you can physically touch), a swab with a lens cleaner should do the trick. If in one of the inside elements, it would need to be disassembled or replaced entirely.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have done all of that to no avail. I wipe it off every time I drive it because we drive mostly on dirt roads here in VT. So the lens is NOT dirty.
Umm....YES YOUR LENS IS DIRTY.

the positioning of the camera on the Bolt is not a good position at all. It should’ve been higher. They get dirty all the time and you pretty much have to clean it EVERY SINGLE TIME. So kindly ditch the attitude when we are trying to help you out.

MDBOLT also has a valid idea as well and particulate dirt may have gotten behide the lens as well.

·
Registered
549 Posts
That is in no way normal! Look closely at the lens in the back. I know you said you cleaned it but is it clear? Can you see the little camera lens inside the plastic cover? Maybe it got cracked, has a haze on the INSIDE, or something else?

Mike

·
Registered
549 Posts
Here's what mine looks like. Compare it to yours. Maybe you'll notice something like the outer lens on yours is cloudy, the little camera lens inside is tilted, or something.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
If you wipe it off a lot you may end up putting a lot of micro scratches into the plastic lens which I guess could end up looking like that. I'm always very careful to wet the lens and gently wipe it with my finger so I can feel if I'm causing any abrasive action. Only when I know it's clean do I wipe it with a cloth.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If you wipe it off a lot you may end up putting a lot of micro scratches into the plastic lens which I guess could end up looking like that. I'm always very careful to wet the lens and gently wipe it with my finger so I can feel if I'm causing any abrasive action. Only when I know it's clean do I wipe it with a cloth.
Great take. This is especially true if you wipe it while a lot of gritty sandy particulate matter is still on it (acts like sandpaper). I only use Zeiss lens wipes to wipe down all our lenses (including cameras at home).

·
Registered
19 Posts
FWIW, my son's RAM 1500 had a blurry view for a period, it was fine when got it. Turned out to need a software update although I haven't seen mention of that for Bolt's. Otherwise, get a magnifying glass and inspect the camera to be sure the optics seem clear.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Guys,, its not dirt. I drive 10 other vehicles with backup cameras.. none of them 'get dirty' unless I do some severeoff roading..
The problem is that Chevy used SD, low resolutions cameras to display an image on a 'relatively' big screen.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Guys,, its not dirt. I drive 10 other vehicles with backup cameras.. none of them 'get dirty' unless I do some severeoff roading..
The problem is that Chevy used SD, low resolutions cameras to display an image on a 'relatively' big screen.
The photo in the OP's first post is way, way worse than SD. There's clearly something wrong somewhere, and since you can actually see something the most likely culprit is the lens or something on the lens.

I live in rainy Vancouver and trust me in wet weather when the car kicks up a lot of spray the lens does get pretty dirty unless you clean it, either manually or with the squirter (which I find to be very effective).

·
Registered
436 Posts
If the picture is that blurry after cleaning, it is a warranty issue. Take it in. If you are out of warranty, you may need a new camera and have to pay for it.

It’s not micro-scratches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts