Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just had my 12v battery die. Came out this morning, and it was at 0v! Called for a tow to dealer to have them swap it out, and threw it on a battery charger while waiting. Got it up to 12v and 10% capacity before they showed up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, after 1 week of being at the dealership, they called to let me know that they "fixed" the issue.

Replaced my Key fob and receiver. According to the dealer, that drained my 12v battery overnight...

Color me skeptical. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just traded a 2012 Nissan Leaf for a Bolt. The Leaf still had the original 12 volt battery. The longest lasting bat. I ever had.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sounds like people need to carry one of these.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Powerful-18000mAh-Portable-6-5liter-5-2liter/dp/B07FCHYS55/ref=asc_df_B07FCHYS55/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312765622753&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1014756095960668099&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008296&hvtargid=pla-568946684813&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
sounds like people need to carry one of these.
Just remember to check it periodically and don't just dump it into the trunk and leave it there. These Li-Ion booster packs will self-discharge over time, so every 3 months I use it to charge my tablet (gives me a bit of confidence that it's still holding a charge) and then recharge it back up again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
“No Lemon Law in California” ??? Wrong !!!

I sold my first Bolt EV (2017model) back to GM using a lemon law attorney. And because I loved the car so much I bought a second Bolt EV (2019 model). But I have had the same problem twice now with the 2019 Bolt.

I was surprised to find others having the same (or similar) issues with the 12v system on their Bolt EV. I wish I had stumbled in this thread a couple years ago. I have been told NOBODY else is having problems like me, therefore it must be something I am doing.

My first Bolt (2017) worked without any problems for a full 12 months before I had the first of 5 separate times that my 12v system had lost sufficient power to start the car. Then it began to fail to start every few months due to improperly charged 12 v system. My second Bolt gave me problems 1 month after I got it, then the problem did not reoccur until 6 months later. Each time the dealership kept the vehicle for several days attempting to recreate or find the problem, but each time even though they were able to read numerous error codes, they say everything checked out ok. An error code pertaining to the brake switch has come up more than once.
I don’t know what the problem is, but GM needs to address this and get to the bottom of it and stop telling us that there is no problem.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
12v problems are simple to diagnose, so it seems crazy the dealerships are having such a hard time.

If battery health is good, the next step is to measure parasitic drain. If the drain is too high, you start disabling systems from the fuse panel until you can isolate the circuit with too high of a drain.

My Prius battery died due to the front door being left open all weekend.

One time I killed a battery while sleeping in a car due to the brake pedal being depressed while I slept.

·
Registered
1 Posts
“No Lemon Law in California” ??? Wrong !!!

I sold my first Bolt EV (2017model) back to GM using a lemon law attorney. And because I loved the car so much I bought a second Bolt EV (2019 model). But I have had the same problem twice now with the 2019 Bolt.

I was surprised to find others having the same (or similar) issues with the 12v system on their Bolt EV. I wish I had stumbled in this thread a couple years ago. I have been told NOBODY else is having problems like me, therefore it must be something I am doing.

My first Bolt (2017) worked without any problems for a full 12 months before I had the first of 5 separate times that my 12v system had lost sufficient power to start the car. Then it began to fail to start every few months due to improperly charged 12 v system. My second Bolt gave me problems 1 month after I got it, then the problem did not reoccur until 6 months later. Each time the dealership kept the vehicle for several days attempting to recreate or find the problem, but each time even though they were able to read numerous error codes, they say everything checked out ok. An error code pertaining to the brake switch has come up more than once.
I don’t know what the problem is, but GM needs to address this and get to the bottom of it and stop telling us that there is no problem.
Nope you are not the only one. I am having the same issues at under one year of owning a 2019 and been stranded 2x in the past 200km (120miles). Less than 9000km (5600miles) and the dealer and GM Canada have no clue how to deal with it. I would sell this back to GM if we had better lemon laws in Canada. I am extremely disappointed with this purchase.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts