Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the 2017 & 18 Bolt has no sunroof option and who knows if this will come available on the 2019...has anybody had an aftermarket sunroof installed?
Is there even anything in behind between the carpeted ceiling and sheet metal that would inhibit having a sunroof put it.
What are peoples thoughts on this?

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
There were some photos of the Bolt with a sunroof. I do not know if it was fixed or what. I did talk with the Dealership about it (they said it was possible) but decided to wait until the spring to get serious about that task. Will be curious to hear if you find out anything.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do NOT install an aftermarket sunroof. You'll ruin the car with that crap!
This ain't the 70s. You can see the recessed area in the ceiling where a sunroof would go. If you find a good installer, and a good moonroof style kit, you can do this and have no major issues. The old pop up roofs used to leak terribly around the gasket.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Installing a sunroof will require cutting into said roof.You'll have to think about this long and hard because there's no going back once the roof is punctured.
I's personally be too scared to make such an irreversible change.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have had a Webasto aftermarket sunroof in a previous car. I could slide and/or tilt by the push of a button, would auto close when closing the car, could be opened 'remotely' with the FOB and it had a sunshade built in. Never had any issues with it. Just perfect! I would not be too worried about it. Just not sure whether the roof of the Bolt / Ampera is suitable.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Would you mind sharing how long ago you had it installed and what the total cost was?
Oops. This was many many moons ago: June 1998. But even then, the quality was great. It was for a Mitsubishi Galant V6. From my recollection, it must have been some 1000 - 1200 EURO or so. Hang on .... the EURO didn't exist back then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had no idea that the Bolt didn't come with a sunroof, anyone have an idea as to why this is? You would think it would be the opposite with an electric as your trying to help the planet and keep the air clean aha. I cant see many people going the aftermarket route as that's bound to be costly, and I'm sure a long and complex process. If they had reasons against putting a sunroof they could have at least gone with a panoramic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would imagine that with such a short nose for a crumple zone, the structure of the roof would become even more critical to controlled energy dissipation in a collision. If I were safety minded, I would not cut a hole in a Bolt roof until I had seen one crash tested with a hole in the roof.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes you are cutting hole in roof, but you are replacing it with a rigid framework that is probably just as strong as the sheet metal it replaces. Perhaps stronger.

Crash testing is not going to happen unless and until Chevy decides to add a sunroof as a factory option. And that won't mean anything to us owners of 2017 models.

For some reason, no other EV comes with sunroofs either.. Tesla offers one (although I am not sure if the glass roof actually opens). But look at your head liner in your Bolt and you'll see that they were considering a moon roof (or at least preparing for one)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Will just interject that factory vehicles with sunroofs have internal gutters and water drains. Seals aren't perfect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
it has been a few years since i've had an aftermarket sunroof in a car.

they were awesome for a year, then leaked like sieves after that. never again :) if it doesn't come with the car, i'll wait.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Will just interject that factory vehicles with sunroofs have internal gutters and water drains.
Yes, that's very important!
We had the drains clog on our factory sunroof equipped Honda CRV and it did leak at that point.
Wonder how they handle that with aftermarket sunroofs? Where does the water (that gets in) go?

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Yes, that's very important!
We had the drains clog on our factory sunroof equipped Honda CRV and it did leak at that point.
Wonder how they handle that with aftermarket sunroofs? Where does the water (that gets in) go?
On my aftermarket sunroof in my old 1975 Vega the water ended up in my lap.

·
Registered
771 Posts
This thread exposes the age demographics of EV buyers (almost 60% over the age of 40) :p

20-30 years ago, aftermarket sunroofs had a deservedly bad reputation. As did GM. This perception remains even though technology has evolved. Many consumers will say they would never buy an "American car", based on decades old reputations.

Almost All new car dealers offer aftermarket sunroofs (leather seats, under carriage protection, custom wheels, etc.). Anything they can earn an extra profit on. If these aftermarket add on's, which the dealer typically will warranty, are prone to a high failure rate, why would dealers still offer them? Wouldn't the after market sunroof manufacturers have gone out of business by now?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
If there was a factory sun roof option.... I would have gone for that, what's another $500-$750 when you spend $40K plus for a Premier!
Our other three cars (two BMW's and a Honda Pilot) all have factory sunroofs... I love them!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.