Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Do we know the wheel bolt pattern yet? Any ideas on what wheels will fit? Besides a different look, lighter wheels than stock will improve range, although I'm hoping GM will ship the Bolt with some high quality lightweight forged wheels from the factory.

I also decided to dust off my mediocre Photoshop skills to share some ideas with you all. Enjoy :D

Volk TE37

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Those actually look great ! Great idea to use lightweight wheels as well.. I would love to see one with Regamaster Evos. Great track wheels !

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The Carbon fiber wheels from GM would be ideal I think. Easily weighing in around 10-12 pounds I would say ? Whereas your regular oem wheel could range from like 18 - 26 pounds easily. Definitely effective to reduce rotational mass !

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
not sure if I'd switch out the stock ones if they're carbon fiber. Aftermarket carbon fiber wheels aren't exactly cheap.
But since we're on the topic of wheels, any chance you can fit this nice HRE wheel on the Bolt? They're the ring brothers wheel.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Carbon fiber wheels

There are rumors that GM will offer production carbon fiber wheels soon. The unsprung weight reduction on a Bolt would probably result in a real improvement of range.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/05/gm-also-looking-to-offer-carbon-fiber-wheels.html

As nice as those wheels are I hate the idea of the cost to replace even one of them. My guess is a set alone will be easily $5000. The cost replace just one of them will discourage me from getting them. Still cool to see them photoshopped.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not sure if I'd switch out the stock ones if they're carbon fiber. Aftermarket carbon fiber wheels aren't exactly cheap.
But since we're on the topic of wheels, any chance you can fit this nice HRE wheel on the Bolt? They're the ring brothers wheel.
It looks like that wheel is only available in sizing beginning at 19", which will never fit a Bolt, while the other wheels I posted are available in smaller diameters suitable for the Bolt.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I doubt it would even come with 18s... My guess would be 16s ?
Wheels: 17in x 6.5J offset 44, cast aluminum
Tires: Michelin Energy Saver A/S 215/50R17 all-season

·
Registered
639 Posts
One big problem with this thread is how many people do you really think will put aftermarket wheels on the Bolt? The way I see it, most Bolts will be rolling on stock wheels. But it's Tesla rival will be more likely to get the customization crowd.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I definitely agree as well, but there is still a group of people that would definitely like to consider it. Me personally, I like being different. If I can reduce rotational mass at the same time, I'm all in

·
Registered
639 Posts
You could even just use the stock wheels and tires. Since they will be all season tires you could save yourself some money for the first couple years. but after that you'll want to get a winter wheel and tire set.

1 - 20 of 335 Posts
About this Discussion
334 Replies
77 Participants
Evolt
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing