Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Anyone worried about cost or just want the cheapest way out can buy used.
I will be doing that.

Look hard enough and you'll find a ton of deals, people want these off their hands more than you want to use them.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
With winter coming, but you probably won't get one until next spring and by then you won't need steelies and have plenty of time to look for a set. I think a generic steel wheel should fit the bolt as long as it's 6.5 X 17 inches.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One thing to think about is that if you change to an aftermarket wheel, if you also change to a non-oem tire that has a higher rolling resistance, you are most likely going to offset any improvement in range seen (if not even further negatively impact range).

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
One thing to think about is that if you change to an aftermarket wheel, if you also change to a non-oem tire that has a higher rolling resistance, you are most likely going to offset any improvement in range seen (if not even further negatively impact range).
How much of a difference would it make potentially to your range ?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
really hard to give an accurate number of how much range the Bolt will lose with a higher rolling resistance thank to winter tires. the Tesla S could lose up to 40% but that's taking into account winter tires, turning up the heat and other factors to do with cold driving.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
40% is quite a significant number, I really didn't think it would be that high but it does make sense. Snow on the road would create a lot more resistance alone, temperature, heat like you said, etc. Never really thought of it in how much of a toll all of these factors would take off of it

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an I-miev that I put snow tires on for six months a year. The range is not impacted in a measurable way, but the tires do improve ride quality due to the softer compound. However the tread pattern is not aggressive. Overall cold weather temps do reduce range by a third or more.

·
Registered
730 Posts
It's a trade off, have to decide what you really want and if it's winter tires you almost have no choice, and if you want aftermarket wheels it doesn't have to be that bad since it all comes down to what size you get, some people want a set a bit more aggressive than OEM and others will want to go big with low profile tires.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
On the bright side, you'd probably want to huddle up inside the house and not leave it when the cold weather sets in, so a lowered range shouldn't affect you too much.

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
On my '16 Volt, I put Michelin X-Ice on the factory alloys for winter & bought a set of nice custom aftermarket rims for the OEM Michelins for summer use. My question is whether the Volt rims are the same as the Bolt so I can put them on the Bolt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes it is. 2016 MY were only made until early '16 (Feb?) & then the 2017 MY started.(I think the only difference was the added green color & Adaptive Cruise.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hopefully the center bore on the Bolt rim is the same as the Volt. I think the 3 mm greater offset should't be a problem as long as the combination with the 1/2" wider rim doesn't rub on the fenders. What do you think?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Could do some mild work with a fender roller if need be, if it ends up a bit tight. But yeah, question about the bore and bolt pattern. Haven't found any wheel/tire sites with info yet.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think it'll ultimately come down to what tire size you plan on running. Fitting a wheel with a 3mm offset difference whether positive or negative and having it a mere half an inch wider shouldn't pose any problems.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I want to change tires and wheels. I found a website that has a drop down for Chevy Bolt EV.
They don't have the rims listed yet but some other interesting stuff.

Carid.com

21 - 40 of 335 Posts
About this Discussion
334 Replies
77 Participants
Evolt
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing