Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm glad a site actually has the Bolt listed. Carid though lol...they do have interesting stuff listed...fuel system and engine / intakes, fake vents, neon, etc. I like the wheels they have in their top picture though, looking forward to seeing different wheels available. Still haven't found much, anyone else? May be using the stock wheels for the winter tires.

·
Super Moderator
2,548 Posts
I wish there was a decent market for brand new OEM wheels. I don't like the Bolts wheels very much, but I'm way to cheap to spend another couple of grand and then what? Give the brand new Bolt wheels away? If I thought I could recoup some of the loss by sell the Bolt wheels I might go for it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Leaf drivers see a general 5-10% range reduction when going from the OEM Ecopias (aka 'Ecrapias' because of handling ad wear issues) to non-LRR tires. My Pirelli snows reduce range by about 3% under the same given temp conditions. A much larger portion of Winter range loss if from using the heat in temps below 25F, where the heat pump in the SV and SL isn't working well.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I wish there was a decent market for brand new OEM wheels. I don't like the Bolts wheels very much, but I'm way to cheap to spend another couple of grand and then what? Give the brand new Bolt wheels away? If I thought I could recoup some of the loss by sell the Bolt wheels I might go for it.
There's a few well known brands out there that make wheels I would say are OEM inspired, Vossen is one of them. The great thing about them is they've been around long enough that odds are you can find a used set with tires for a good price. Worth checking out.

·
Super Moderator
2,548 Posts
I went to TireRack.com and they too list the Bolt in the drop down, but as of yet have no suggestions for wheels. I assume soon they will. Just for giggles, I chose the Chevy Sonic as I suspect that the wheels on that car are very similar. There I found some reasonable options for only $100-$150 a wheel. If I can stay near that price range, I think I will change the wheels on my Bolt. I really do think the OEM wheels suck.

My biggest question is, how much does the OEM wheel weigh? I doubt anybody knows yet, but they will soon I suspect. The factory wheels don't look very light, but looks can be deceiving sometimes. If anyone does change their wheels, please do us all a favor and weigh your old wheels and post here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Going back to the CarID bolt in the header photo. Anyone know where we can get a complete image, the wheels, from what I can see, look pretty nice. But now I want to see what it looks like completely lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
I remember that it was a surprise to me to think about the loss of range when I read about winter vs. range, probably shouldn't have been. I've definitely seen a "range reduction" in my ICE cars with snows on. Glad there's more than enough cushion in the Bolt's range for my uses. Will be interesting to see, as I also plan on using some stickier tires for the summer as well. Guessing they'll be similar in range reduction to the snows, though the milder temps should help with those.

Is it right that the range calculator will still adjust the projected range correctly using different tires? Or is it set using the stock tires?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I remember that it was a surprise to me to think about the loss of range when I read about winter vs. range, probably shouldn't have been. I've definitely seen a "range reduction" in my ICE cars with snows on. Glad there's more than enough cushion in the Bolt's range for my uses. Will be interesting to see, as I also plan on using some stickier tires for the summer as well. Guessing they'll be similar in range reduction to the snows, though the milder temps should help with those.

Is it right that the range calculator will still adjust the projected range correctly using different tires? Or is it set using the stock tires?
The range calculator takes all of your specific parameters into account. If you put 100 lb lead wheels on your car, it will take more kWh to move the car, and the range will adjust accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
2,548 Posts
You'd think the Chevy Bolt owner's manual would mention the specific tire installed with the Bolt, but I've tried looking around and can't seem to find it.

Owner's manual for anyone interested.
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2017/Chevrolet/BOLT%20EV/Owner's%20Manual.pdf
It's true, the manual has nothing to say about the type of tire. However the picture below suggests that they are Michelin X Energy Saver A/S in 215/50/17R

·
Registered
861 Posts
It's true, the manual has nothing to say about the type of tire. However the picture below suggests that they are Michelin X Energy Saver A/S in 215/50/17R
Chevy's spec lists:
P215/50R17
Includes Michelin Selfseal puncture-sealing technology

·
Registered
7 Posts
honest question: does changing the wheels on an electric wheel void any part of the warranty?
No, different wheels or tires will not void any warranty.

(That's presuming a reasonable fit with no clearance or wacky offset issues.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Anyone figure out the bolt pattern for rim size yet. I have a 06 Prius and put after market tires and rims on it. I think it came with 16 and put 18 low profile tires on it. Wanna do the same on the Bolt. Just wanting for the car to get to me.

·
Banned
350 Posts
If the info in this thread is correct (17x6.5" wheel, 215x50 tire) there will be plenty of room for wider wheels, as a 215mm tire is 8.5" wide.

Again, if correct, Chevy would be pushing the limit of tire width vs. wheel width with a full 2" difference.

The image above does not appear to have the tire protruding 1" past the rim, so I'm guessing these might be show-car wheels.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It doesn't seem like the Bolt suffers from the same issue as the Spark EV where it was basically impossible to use any rims other than the ones that come from the factory and also they are staggered so you can't even rotate them front to back.

I definitely think a 5mm lowering and really good shocks and springs along with some BMW style rims would do this car a world of good.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Anyone figure out the bolt pattern for rim size yet. I have a 06 Prius and put after market tires and rims on it. I think it came with 16 and put 18 low profile tires on it. Wanna do the same on the Bolt. Just wanting for the car to get to me.
I also want to know this and center bore size since that will be important come time to buy wheels, although its easier to make up for that than a different bolt pattern. Worst case scenario a bolt on bolt pattern converter will do the trick.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are the rims on the 2017 Chevy Volt the same size and lug pattern as the Bolt EV ? Would they be interchangeable ?

41 - 60 of 335 Posts
About this Discussion
334 Replies
77 Participants
Evolt
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing