Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Is overnight charging a vandalism risk with the Bolt?
I assume this question relates more to the TeslaTap than the EV. I have a (small) TSA lock that locks the "Tap" plug release lever. {My Siemens VersiCharge handle has the same locking hole, but, in my garage, it is never used.} I just keep the TSA (combination) lock on the Tap and have it with me at all times. Vandals will be criminals, but we do not have to make it easier for them, do we?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Did a little bit more readings on the subject. Got more questions.

Tesla destination charging allows all Tesla cars to charge for free. The charger needs to make sure the car is Tesla. How does it work with a bolt then? The adapter just fools the charger?
It doesn't work like that. Everything is on the honor system. And once installed, the equipment belongs to the propery owner who can set whatever restrictions they like outside of charging money for usage.

It's just a standard J1772 L2 EVSE with a Tesla plug on the end. It no more detects if a Tesla is connected than your home EVSE detects your Bolt. As long as whatever plugs in follows the J1772 protocol, the destination charger will work. All the adapter does is route the wires from the Tesla socket to the J1772 plug.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
902 Posts
I assume this question relates more to the TeslaTap than the EV. I have a (small) TSA lock that locks the "Tap" plug release lever. {My Siemens VersiCharge handle has the same locking hole, but, in my garage, it is never used.} I just keep the TSA (combination) lock on the Tap and have it with me at all times. Vandals will be criminals, but we do not have to make it easier for them, do we?
Same here, someone could still physically unplug the Tesla cord from my adapter, or physically vandalize my car (not sure why) but with the lock in place it would be difficult to steal my adapter. Most hotels that have chargers are not cheap motels in a bad part of town, so the risk of vandalism is fairly low to begin with.

Keith

·
Registered
33 Posts
I purchased a TeslaTap and have used it fairly often. My three reasons for use are: 1) some places (e.g. Snowshoe Village, WV) have ONLY Tesla plugs; 2) in many locales, the charging power/rate is somewhat higher (same voltage, higher amperage) on the Tesla connector; and, 3) at motels (and State Parks) with multiple Tesla plugs and ONE J-1772 plug, my using the TeslaTap overnight for my Bolt EV does not leave the next non-Tesla motel guest who arrives later than I, out in the cold with no compatible plug.
where did you buy the tesla tap and how much was it?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I bought it online (probably through Amazon, but maybe directly {Paid via PayPal and my spreadsheet does not show me the vendor}) for $250+tax. (=$256.94) The prices are MUCH less now! To ME, it has been worth it, but it's usefulness is going down as more J-1772 plugs are available at many charging locations.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
To ME, it has been worth it, but it's usefulness is going down as more J-1772 plugs are available at many charging locations.
I bought my Tesla Tap partly for use at Tesla chargers, but mostly so that I could buy a Tesla UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) which lets me charge pretty much anywhere there's any kind of AC outlet. It also serves as a backup charger in case the OEM charger that came with the Bolt should die for some reason.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I bought my Tesla Tap partly for use at Tesla chargers, but mostly so that I could buy a Tesla UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) which lets me charge pretty much anywhere there's any kind of AC outlet. It also serves as a backup charger in case the OEM charger that came with the Bolt should die for some reason.
My Siemens VersiCharge is plugged and, thus, portable. I can plug into any NEMA 14-50 outlet. I have taken it on many trips to the WV mountains where RV parks and KoA Kampgrounds are plentiful and AC Level 2 EVSE are non-existent. (But I also take my TeslaTap on all of my overnight trips.) Most of the Hampton Inns in WV have AC Level 2 and I have never had my request to charge (for 2-4 hours) turned down even if I am not staying there. I recommend Hampton Inn to everyone, even my ICE-driving, polluting friends.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bought the Tesla Tap for <$300 and the Tesla universal mobile cable for another <$300. Plus, I bought some extra different types of plugs which I have never used. (The UMC comes with a 240 V NEMA 14-50 plug and a standard 110 V three-prong plug.) If you buy this combo, you can use it for home and on-the-road charging. There is also the J-Dapter. I think the prices have dropped for all of the above. One thing to note is that the Tesla Tap fits into the Tesla connector very tightly. So tight, that I've had trouble getting it to go in all the way and make good contact with a Tesla destination charger on at least 2 occasions. The field solution was to use a pocket knife to pare off a little of the inside plastic on the Tesla Tap to make it easier to insert the Tesla plug into the Tesla Tap.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts